SIM query

I am looking for a PAYG SIM to put in the PCM head unit, just as a backup/emergency measure. Ive been recommended the 321 card from 3. Anyone know any reason why this wouldnt work?

5 hours ago, 987Monkey said:

Which version PCM have you got? And have you tried testing it with your current SIM card? 

That was my first instinct but I have a nano sim for an Iphone which doesn't fit the standard sized slot.
PCM is silver and has satnav/large screen with the phone buttons on the left, sorry I don't know the type/number. Its a 2008 car if that makes a difference

11 minutes ago, Madmoggy said:

That was my first instinct but I have a nano sim for an Iphone which doesn't fit the standard sized slot.
PCM is silver and has satnav/large screen with the phone buttons on the left, sorry I don't know the type/number. Its a 2008 car if that makes a difference

You could try your current sim with one of the sim converters - only 99p on ebay including post. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Madmoggy said:

I am looking for a PAYG SIM to put in the PCM head unit, just as a backup/emergency measure. Ive been recommended the 321 card from 3. Anyone know any reason why this wouldnt work?

Looking for info, I just discovered my original spec includes "Telephone module for PCM" which activates the SIM slot you're talking about.

Not sure if the slot is still present in the facia even if telephone module isn't specced???

Do you know for sure yours has telephone module? Described in the 981 brochure as under...

• Like 1

You've got PCM 2/2.1 which don't work with 3 network sim cards.  I believe Vodafone have been the most successful, it's something to do with the frequency the cards works on as I remember. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info folks
Ive attached a picture of the head unit, with the slot for a full size SIM card. Theres an old orange one in there now, but its not active.
Shame the 3 card wont work, its quite cheap :)
I'll have a look on vodafone to see what deals they can do, as Im with them for my contract

pcm.JPG

well it looks like Im destined not to get this to work. I got a free SIM from Vodafone, set it up and rang it from my phone in another phone. Worked fine. Put it in the car, it didnt work. I rang it and it went to voicemail.
I then remembered my works phone has a full sized SIM, so I put that in. Neither worked in the car. Message on the bottom of the screen is "internal phone is not available"
Im guessing it either didnt have it, or its been turned off at some stage. Never mind, at least I didnt have to spend a fortune to find out.

• Like 1

• Founder

I had this on another car recently, I ended ripping the aged 'technology' out and replaced with a Dynavin unit that looks OEM and does everything and does it well, for much less than the cost of fixing the aged original rubbish.  

Its like any technology, it becomes redundant so quickly these days.  

• Like 1

Ive not heard of Dynavin, but having just had a very quick look at their website I can see that as a possible option, thanks for that.
I'll have a word with my mechanic to see if he knows of a quick fix in case its just a coding issue, but if not then Im not going to waste any time on it, I'll look into a new head unit.