964 RS mounts... Am I missing something?

Aaron

Evening guys

I've had a fair bit of vibration when at low speeds in 4th develop recently; I guessed the mounts were dead.  Long story short there.

I've bought the 964 RS mounts as a replacement but I really can't see how they fit without a load of washers... See the pics.  The mount bracket looks a lot different too, but I suspect this is because of PDK.  I know the bolt/nut for the mount are upside down but it's just to demonstrate the fit without committing to grinding it shorter.

http://imgur.com/a/sotlluM

I know a couple of people here have done this - what am I missing?

6 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Interested how it all goes. I might tackle my mounts over winter

That's why I'm doing this now.  The weather is so poor at the moment that the car is just sat in the garage, so it might as well be sat on axle stands instead! 

I've decided that I'm going to get new bolts with more thread because the sight of that washer is driving me mad.

25 minutes ago, Aaron said:

That's why I'm doing this now.  The weather is so poor at the moment that the car is just sat in the garage, so it might as well be sat on axle stands instead! 

I've decided that I'm going to get new bolts with more thread because the sight of that washer is driving me mad.

Or buy an M10 die to extend the thread?

12 minutes ago, swanny71 said:

Or buy an M10 die to extend the thread?

Solid point.  I have dies kicking around but they stop at M8.  Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I've read a few lads using different Porsche model mounts on their 987's and they make it sound easy but they mustn't have been 964RS mounts?

I got a die, removed the new mount, disassembled, cut the thread, reassembled and then repeated.  There is a lot less room on the offside, just to forewarn anyone.

I used a 19mm and impact wrench on the security bolt again - made easy work of it.

There are NVH changes, but only on the N and they are all good noises.  Engine is a bit noisier at low RPM (no change at mid/high).  Can't comment on gear selection as I have PDK.  I took it for a smooth cruise, bumps, twisties, cattle grid... Didn't experience anything usual in the vibration or harshness departments.

Turn in was markedly improved but it was too wet to truly test that - verdict is still out there.

Overall, good upgrade if your mounts are knackered but I wouldn't go changing perfectly good stock mounts.

Got some time to upload the extra pictures I took.

This is the bracket held in the vice to be torqued:

8H6TSjI.jpg

You could use a spanner to hold the same surfaces as the vice, but that would be more difficult as far as I can tell.

987.2 PDK bracket up close:

QPLxLAp.jpg

This looked nothing like the other brackets I saw online so it threw me a little.  I searched for the part number but no results turned up.

Factory mount:

UaSJlVS.jpg

As for the original issue I tried to tackle: the fourth gear judder.  The judder has significantly improved but it's still very much there.  This leaves the engine mount as the next probable cause (the engine itself runs smooth, but you can feel the car shaking/juddering).  That's going to be a coolant drain, hose removal, swap mount, and refill job.  Should be fun.

• 6 months later...