Power Window Mechanism

My driver side window is acting up.  I suspect it the mechanism (gears maybe?) that's worn (12+ year old car).

It made a weird knocking sound going up and down a couple of days back and just now, pushing the lever to wind up, it went down instead and I now have to hold the lever up until it fully winds up.  The window dip when opening the door was irratic as well.

Has anyone changed this part before?  Appreciate a part number and also if there is a Volkswagen equivalent that works (and is cheaper)?

Thanks. 

Edited by Liongolfer

Thanks for the quick diagnosis.

I found this DIY vid.  Its exactly the same sound.  Its also not a job I'm capable of so I'll just buy the replacement regulator part and have my mech do it.

Do you know if there are the same parts for VW or Audi?  My door lock actuator shares the same part with a VW and was a lot less costly than the same Porsche branded part.  

23 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

I found this DIY vid.  Its exactly the same sound.  Its also not a job I'm capable of so I'll just buy the replacement regulator part and have my mech do it.

Do you know if there are the same parts for VW or Audi?  My door lock actuator shares the same part with a VW and was a lot less costly than the same Porsche branded part.  

Not sure on whether it would be a VAG crossover part tbh but in the UK there are several places that sell them... Porsche oem regulator is double the price of a quality pattern part though!.

I fitted a pattern regulator and its fine after 2yrs.

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

Not sure on whether it would be a VAG crossover part tbh but in the UK there are several places that sell them... Porsche oem regulator is double the price of a quality pattern part though!.

I fitted a pattern regulator and its fine after 2yrs.

Do you recall the brand of the pattern regulator you put in?

On 28/02/2022 at 12:40, Liongolfer said:

Hi @Liongolfer - can you share a link to the video please? I had a strange noise from my driver side window at the weekend and wanted to compare.

good luck with the fix

10 hours ago, James Mitchinson said:

Hi @Liongolfer - can you share a link to the video please? I had a strange noise from my driver side window at the weekend and wanted to compare.

good luck with the fix

Here you go.  Its around the 36 sec mark.

9 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

I had the squeaking noise a while back and intermittently as well.  I think you may be seeing early signs of what I'm facing now.  

I’m taking the car in to get new tyres fitted next weekend… I’ve got a recording of it and will speak to them about this whilst I’m there. 

2 hours ago, James Mitchinson said:

I’m taking the car in to get new tyres fitted next weekend… I’ve got a recording of it and will speak to them about this whilst I’m there. 

Defo early signs of the window regulator cables failing imo...