Tracker

Some advice please

Am I correct in assuming this is a Tracker, if so is it likely to be drawing any significant current and can I simply cut the feed wire and remove it?

5E18BB38-1A4F-4D15-B865-9BC5B59BA71D.jpeg

Not sure, usually the Official Porsche Selling Agent (OPC) would have them fitted at point of sale, often because it was a requirement to obtain insurance.

Are there any markings on it or the underside to be sure it’s a tracker and not another type of antenna, eg for the GPS? The oem tracker box is bigger than this so although a tracker doesn’t draw a lot of current this could just be an antenna for it so would still be being powered if that’s the intent.  Is this a picture from front with bumper off btw?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acquell said:

Are there any markings on it or the underside to be sure it’s a tracker and not another type of antenna, eg for the GPS? The oem tracker box is bigger than this so although a tracker doesn’t draw a lot of current this could just be an antenna for it so would still be being powered if that’s the intent.  Is this a picture from front with bumper off btw?

at first i thought it might be the transmitter for the garage door opener etc 

4 hours ago, Acquell said:

Is this a picture from front with bumper off btw?

Yes, I removed the front bumper last week to replace the air-con radiators and noticed the 'gizmo' which I haven't seen in other pictures of bumper removal.

I decided to leave well alone and put everything back as it was.  There were no obvious identification marks that I could see.  The car does have Sat Nav but I have no idea where the antenna is located.

If it is a tracker or garage door opener who ever installed it went to a lot of trouble to locate it including bumper removal.  The wiring was very professional in appearance as well.

47 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

If it is a tracker or garage door opener who ever installed it went to a lot of trouble to locate it including bumper removal.  The wiring was very professional in appearance as well.

in 09 when my car was new i think the instructions for something concerning the home link said to hold a device/remote by that spot on the bumper to program/learn  ....for what its worth it didn't work . the sticker on the door opener did 

slightly off topic, my R has the option called 'tracker preparation'. I spoke with Porsche Reading to ask how do I go about having this wired up with an official Porsche tracker and they were a bit baffled. they directed me to Porsche Bristol, and I never heard back. Does and official Porsche tracker exist for the 987 model range?

Basically I want this sort of thing...

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/classic-vts/

but they couldn't comment if it would work with my R. Its all a bit mysterious how to go about it!

17 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I think its called home link,its 3 buttons right above the mirror ,its a feature of the car not an aftermarket add on.....garage door,security gate etc 

On 13/03/2022 at 13:09, Pretzel said:

Not sure, usually the Official Porsche Selling Agent (OPC) would have them fitted at point of sale, often because it was a requirement to obtain insurance.

If you have your build sheet (option codes) then the tracking preparation is option code 674.  Part number for the tracker aerial is 997 612 064 51, can’t see pictures anywhere though of what one looks like.

My view is unless can trace cable back to where it plugs into id leave it.

• Like 1

If you have your build sheet (option codes) then the tracking preparation is option code 674.  Part number for the tracker aerial is 997 612 064 51, can’t see pictures anywhere though of what one looks like.

My view is unless can trace cable back to where it plugs into id leave it.

My car does include option code 674 'Vehicle Tracking System' Preparation. So that probably explains a lot. 

Has anyone else come across either the tracker or the Polyurethane (?) foam section to the left of the tracker as shown in my original photo ?

12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

My car does include option code 674 'Vehicle Tracking System' Preparation. So that probably explains a lot. 

Has anyone else come across either the tracker or the Polyurethane (?) foam section to the left of the tracker as shown in my original photo ?

does your car have "homelink" ?

8 hours ago, extanker said:

must be a US feature 

You can get in europe, it’s option 607 or 608, one is 433mhz and 315mhz for the other. Think in uk/europe it’s 433 and US/Japan the other or at least with VW/Audi it is. Not sure how popular a feature it is as you guys tend to have massive garages with electric doors (not jealous….much 😉 )

anyway, back in topic, my best guess is gps antenna and if trace wire back it will go to a fakra connection to the head unit.

• Like 1