18" tyre options in 2022

Sorry to open another tyre thread, but like many on this forum I have standard 18" rims with 235/40 and 265/40 tyres, and I'm looking to replace the aging PS2 N4 rubber. I'm looking for best fast summer road options, not track, and a good compromise between wet and dry performance. Not too concerned about wear levels or noise as I don't do huge miles.

Most of the tyre threads here look at all the great options available for 19" rims, or are a couple of years old, and don't reflect what's available today. I really don't want to shell out £000s on 19" rims, so what recommendations do you have based on tyres that are currently available?

As far as I can see, these are what's on the market today from the premium brands - I've only included tyres that are available for both front and rear, and that have reinforced sidewall for the rear (or are N rated):

Michelin PS4 (not S!)

Michelin PS2 (N4)

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Bridgestone Potenza (N1)

Bridgestone Potenza Sport

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym2

Pirelli P Zero

Looking at the verdict on the recent TyreReview test (2022 UHP test), the Potenza Sport stands out, though that test was on a front engined rear drive car, so may be less relevant for the Cayman.

I know the PS4S is everyone's go to tyre, but it's not available on 18s, so let's not open that can of worms! So what are your thoughts on what's available, and have I missed any options from other manufacturers?

If not taking the car on track, the Bridgestone Potenza Sport seems to be the go to UUHP tyre right now, equaling or beating the PS4 S on tests.

Reports are that they really suffer when overheated on track and wear quickly when subjected to this. As such the Michelin PS2 (N4) are probably still the pick of the bunch for combined road and track use.

Another consideration is when the new Pilot Sport 5 might be available in 265, 235 40 18 sizes. They only list 27 sizes currently, but will likely expand and cover a similar range to the PS4. Suspect PS5 will still be more road biased than the N4 PS2 though.

Edited by wtaite01

37 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Suspect PS5 will still be more road biased than the N4 PS2 though.

Agreed - the aging (2012 stamped) PS2 that I have now is great, and it sounds like the PS5 will be heavily compromised in comparison.

14 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I had (and still have) a thoroughly knackered and delaminated set of Bridgestone Potenza Sports on my other wheels. They are (as said above) useless on track and based on their wear characteristics, I'd assume that they would be very fast wearing on the road too (mine didn't last long enough to find out). Mine have less than a 1000 miles on them and are totally shot.

Conversely... my other wheels have Michelin Pilot Sports on them (PS2s on front and super sports on the back) and they are brilliant on road and good on track. They wear really well, slide progressively, grip brilliantly, and tramline far less than the Potenzas.

I didn't think I was concerned about wear rates, but to reach that state in 1000 miles is concerning. Another vote for the PS2 then!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, el_gringo said:

Agreed - the aging (2012 stamped) PS2 that I have now is great, and it sounds like the PS5 will be heavily compromised in comparison.

I didn't think I was concerned about wear rates, but to reach that state in 1000 miles is concerning. Another vote for the PS2 then!

The tyre age question is interesting. At 2012 stamp I would definitely be changing, manufacturers generally recommend checking tyres for cracks/faults after about 6 years and changing irrespective of condition at 10 years.

I have PS2s stamped 2015 on mine. Still look good (except the shoulders -> track days) and have tread depth. However, I made a 20 year veteran instructor exclaim 'Oh SH*T!' at Blyton last weekend when rear of the car let go in a big way through sweeping chicanes at c. 95mph.

He drove my car later that day and informed me that the rears were done and this explained why we had such a big unexpected (to him) moment earlier. I just thought it was normal behaviour and wasn't too fussed as it's happened on most of my recent track days 😅