Confused about disabling the passenger airbag in my 987.2 Cayman S

jsavage

Hey guys, 

I have been trying to understand if the passenger airbag is disabled when a certain amount of weight is on the passenger seat which is inline with the weight of a child or anything else being put on the passenger seat. I am getting different views on this with some posts saying you need to put in a passenger airbag disable switch if you want to disable it for a child and some posts saying that it will disable itself with a child's weight. Any thoughts? 

Joe

3 hours ago, jsavage said:

Hey guys, 

I have been trying to understand if the passenger airbag is disabled when a certain amount of weight is on the passenger seat which is inline with the weight of a child or anything else being put on the passenger seat. I am getting different views on this with some posts saying you need to put in a passenger airbag disable switch if you want to disable it for a child and some posts saying that it will disable itself with a child's weight. Any thoughts? 

Joe

Haven't heard that about the weight before, it's my understanding that you need to have a switch installed. Not fully sure if want to trust a weight based system, though one would hope it's been well thought out if it does exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Taken a look through the manual as I was unsure on this one myself, seems as though there is a weight requirement on the front passenger seat, doesn't specify as to how much weight mind, only that "up to one-year old child seated" deactivates the passenger side whilst in a child restraint system, but an adult it remains active... surmising anything heavier than what.. 20kg? might make it active to allow for the child seat too.  One way to find out would be put a known weight on the seat and see when the Passenger airbag light goes off.

If unsure on if it is working or not, there should be the key operated deactivation switch that you can rotate to the Off position.

Below are the screen shots from the manual.

Cayman Airbag_0.PNG

Cayman Airbag_1.PNG

Cayman Airbag_2.PNG

• Thanks 1