Does anyone know this car....... Looking to potentially buy

Hi all,

I am in the market for a cheap ish Cayman to enjoy to scratch the itch i have for one. (id love a GT4 one day)

This car is local-ish to me and i am a fan of the colour too.

Ideally i wanted a 2.9 version but i am struggling to find a nice one which fits within my budget,

Does anyone know anything about this one? 

Does it look a nice car?

Do I need to worry about this 2.7 engine or not really?

Any hints and tips would be great.

Thanks 

Ash

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304015872656?advertising-location=at_cars&colour=Red&include-delivery-option=on&make=Porsche&model=Cayman&postcode=gu33az&price-from=4000&sort=relevance&fromsra 

No such thing as a "cheap" Porsche IMO.

You have an M3 so won't be unfamiliar with running costs, these cars have cheap parts - but that is an old vehicle and will need a few bits and bobs doing. If you want to buy something for a year and pass it on, then buy newer IMO.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty that would be a nice car to tinker with though. I love a 'no option Cayman'. PASM just needs deleting (assuming you're going to do suspension) and Sports Chrono ruins the throttle response.

The stock seats are also surprisingly supportive, although they're no buckets...

Go in with your eyes open and you should be fine, there will probably be a couple of £ks worth of jobs that will want doing in the first year or so of that car at a guess (as with most cars that aren't enthusiast owned, but timing the buying with someone's selling is difficult).

Plus red is defintely worth something, I love a red Cayman. Also the 5sp configuration in that car is the lightest weight Cayman you can get.

Nothing seems to stand out to be alarmed about in the advert, and (IMO) the Carnewal exhaust and Carerra Classic 19" wheels are a very nice addition (but then I would say that as I have them both!) :) 

Seems to have a good service history, but as with any older car, confirm if/when items such as plugs/coil packs/springs/shocks/clutch/brakes/tyres etc last replaced, as they could hit the wallet. 

The 2.7 if well maintained / looked after generally has no major issues to worry about.  As mentioned above, if you're willing to read up on things and give them a go, you can save a fortune through DIY and Cayman's needn't be ruinous to run.  Reputable pattern parts are readily available (often shared with other VAG marques), and a fraction of the price of buying from an OPC.     

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. 

The guy went all weird when I started asking him normal questions about his car and lost it a bit so its put me off to be honest on that particular car as i don't need the agro.  (i believe he had someone coming to inspect it the day before who let him down

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and know all about big bills, my M3 is mint and has had tens of thousands spent on it! 

Realistically it will be enjoyed for year or so ill sell it buy a new house and then save hard for a GT4, or that's the plan anyway. M3 will be kept for life if possible. :)

22 hours ago, Ben said:

Nothing seems to stand out to be alarmed about in the advert, and (IMO) the Carnewal exhaust and Carerra Classic 19" wheels are a very nice addition (but then I would say that as I have them both!) :) 

Seems to have a good service history, but as with any older car, confirm if/when items such as plugs/coil packs/springs/shocks/clutch/brakes/tyres etc last replaced, as they could hit the wallet. 

The 2.7 if well maintained / looked after generally has no major issues to worry about.  As mentioned above, if you're willing to read up on things and give them a go, you can save a fortune through DIY and Cayman's needn't be ruinous to run.  Reputable pattern parts are readily available (often shared with other VAG marques), and a fraction of the price of buying from an OPC.     

The only work its had done other than basic maintenance is cross over pipes.

Its due Disc's and Pads soon as well.

Its never had a clutch or anything either so id guess that will be due soon as well. 

His attitude was enough to put me off though to be fair.

As yuffyhago says, cheap Porsche is an oxymoron.  It's going to be expensive to buy or expensive to run.  That is pretty much how it goes.

I wouldn't bother getting one for a year if you want a GT4.  Save for the right car.

17 hours ago, hopz121 said:

Thanks for the responses guys. 

The guy went all weird when I started asking him normal questions about his car and lost it a bit so its put me off to be honest on that particular car as i don't need the agro.  (i believe he had someone coming to inspect it the day before who let him down

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and know all about big bills, my M3 is mint and has had tens of thousands spent on it! 

Realistically it will be enjoyed for year or so ill sell it buy a new house and then save hard for a GT4, or that's the plan anyway. M3 will be kept for life if possible. :)

Funnily enough this car was available when I was looking for mine, right colour and spec for me.  But I had a similar experience, just felt off to me.  So I decided to go with my gut and buy a different car.  Shame as it looks a nice thing 

29 minutes ago, RussH said:

Funnily enough this car was available when I was looking for mine, right colour and spec for me.  But I had a similar experience, just felt off to me.  So I decided to go with my gut and buy a different car.  Shame as it looks a nice thing 

How long ago was this mate? What did you buy in the end? 

The seller has some serious attitude, you’d think he doesn’t actually want to sell the car! 

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

As yuffyhago says, cheap Porsche is an oxymoron.  It's going to be expensive to buy or expensive to run.  That is pretty much how it goes.

I wouldn't bother getting one for a year if you want a GT4.  Save for the right car.

A GT4 won’t be for a few years yet, I am a Petrol head and need a car either way so a cayman could fill that void and loose little money along the way. 

I am used to bills and not too fussed about maintaining it. I guess buying the right one to start with will help save money long term.

10 hours ago, hopz121 said:

A GT4 won’t be for a few years yet, I am a Petrol head and need a car either way so a cayman could fill that void and loose little money along the way. 

I am used to bills and not too fussed about maintaining it. I guess buying the right one to start with will help save money long term.

I find it hard to believe you'd lose much money on that car, but if you spend £3k on parts (easily doable) that's nearly 25% of the car's value... Does that still count as "not losing money"

39 minutes ago, yuffyhaggo said:

I find it hard to believe you'd lose much money on that car, but if you spend £3k on parts (easily doable) that's nearly 25% of the car's value... Does that still count as "not losing money"

yeah my thoughts exactly. The £3k would be running costs. It is a cost for sure but a newer average family car could loose that in depreciation alone!

My currently daily which cost me £3k has cost me more than that in repairs over the years I have owned it. It’s just one of those things I guess. 

12 hours ago, hopz121 said:

It sounds like your mind is already firmly made up.  Get searching and make the purchase!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hopz121 said:

How long ago was this mate? What did you buy in the end? 

The seller has some serious attitude, you’d think he doesn’t actually want to sell the car! 

Must have been a month ago, saw it listed on FB and AT.  Sent an email and FB message.  I don’t think he has owned it long, so I just wanted some questions answered if it had of stacked up I’d have bought it.    I specifically wanted guards red.  I did notice the price had been raised as you can view the post edit history on FB.  So got the feeling it was a reluctant sale.  I didn’t get the attitude like you obviously did, he’s probably had his share of low ballers since I tried to buy it.  But i will say I felt a reluctance to dialogue, which frankly put me off.  So I bought another one.  I don’t have the time or inclination to deal with people who can’t be bothered with me.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hopz121 said:

yeah my thoughts exactly. The £3k would be running costs. It is a cost for sure but a newer average family car could loose that in depreciation alone!

My currently daily which cost me £3k has cost me more than that in repairs over the years I have owned it. It’s just one of those things I guess. 

Just go get it then :91_thumbsup: , check signs of leaks on coolant pipes (easy bargaining chip), blowing exhaust, AC not working (all easy fixes and quite common in my experience on these).

If you have the patience you could wait a year for the "right car". Each to their own I suppose.

1 hour ago, yuffyhaggo said:

Just go get it then :91_thumbsup: , check signs of leaks on coolant pipes (easy bargaining chip), blowing exhaust, AC not working (all easy fixes and quite common in my experience on these).

If you have the patience you could wait a year for the "right car". Each to their own I suppose.

I won’t be waiting a year, something will come up I am sure. That car above won’t be the car for me based off of the experience so far with it.

if anyone sees a Gen 1 or 2 987 for sale in manual which looks good let me know :) 

On 21/05/2023 at 10:27, hopz121 said:

I won’t be waiting a year, something will come up I am sure. That car above won’t be the car for me based off of the experience so far with it.

if anyone sees a Gen 1 or 2 987 for sale in manual which looks good let me know :) 

What was wrong with it in the end?

Will keep an eye, you just missed my old one but it sold for quite a bit more than that one (£21k for a 2.9 987)