PSE or Carnewal GT mod?

New member here. I recently purchased an Atlas Grey '07 Cayman S with 46k miles, non-Chrono, non-PASM, standard non-sport exhaust. Coming off a stock Lotus Elise that was unfortunately totaled. Love the Cayman so far, but looking for a bit less subdued sound.

If I'm not interested in wiring the car for an active/valved exhaust and switch (and I'm not), would I be better off acquiring a used PSE (in permanent sport mode) or having my stock exhaust modified by Carnewal? Not necessarily looking for a definitive answer, but opinions please. (I'm also not opposed to an aftermarket catback, but these two other options seem the easiest for a sound that's throatier than what I've got without going crazy.) Thanks.

I had a few Elises but graduated to Cayman R after a couple of 911s...and v happy with what feels to be a great mix of the two.  I went the carnewal route about 4 years ago & agree with windymiller....I find it the perfect balance....the sort of noise which feels appropriate for the car, without sounding 'aftermarket' or too loud. 

I have a miltek catback on mine. Sounds great, not intrusive at motorway speeds but much better sound when opening it up.

• Like 1

This is the sort of feedback I was hoping for. The Carnewal is indeed less expensive. I do wonder if the PSE would add any value to the car (or at least not take any value away down the road); mods often seem to spook potential buyers depending on their knowledgeability of the cars/mods. Ultimately though I think I'd rather get the car "right" than worry about a few hundred dollars in resale down the road. Thanks.

2 hours ago, RossKH said:

I had a few Elises but graduated to Cayman R after a couple of 911s...and v happy with what feels to be a great mix of the two.  I went the carnewal route about 4 years ago & agree with windymiller....I find it the perfect balance....the sort of noise which feels appropriate for the car, without sounding 'aftermarket' or too loud. 

Since you have an R, I have a follow-up for you, if you don't mind: I'm interested in the R suspension retrofit by Suncoast, and also contemplating a wheel/tire change. Currently have fairly heavy 19" Carrera Sports and thinking about lighter 18" OZ Alleggeritas (lighter than the 19" R forged wheels). Is the ride in-town tolerable with 19s with the R or do you think it would benefit from such a wheel/tire change? One thing I'm mulling with an 18" wheel would be the choice between more sidewall (more compliant ride) or same sidewall/smaller diameter (less weight/shorter gearing). The mind reels from all the various minute possibilities.... Thanks.

2 hours ago, Merlin07CS said:

This is the sort of feedback I was hoping for. The Carnewal is indeed less expensive. I do wonder if the PSE would add any value to the car (or at least not take any value away down the road); mods often seem to spook potential buyers depending on their knowledgeability of the cars/mods. Ultimately though I think I'd rather get the car "right" than worry about a few hundred dollars in resale down the road. Thanks.

I don’t think you’d see your money back in a future sale from a retro PSE fit. 

however a carnewal May attract more ‘appetite’ when it comes to resell. Also at resell you can remove the carnewal and return the car to stock for resale and then Sell the carnewal separately. 

• Like 1

Agree with WindyM again on resell with/without carnewal.  Only other ‘mod’ i have done is ICE upgrade & have held onto the original double-din to refit if needed.

There will be others on this forum with far better understanding than me on the suspension/ wheel dynamics I am afraid.  The R is a fantastically dynamic combination & the only thing I am sad about/ thinking about upgrading is from a PDK to a manual….but that is a substantial cost & not really justified!  Looked at one at Williams Crawford v recently but they wouldnt do a trade-in.  In terms of town ride, it feels fine, but I am Sussex countryside so dont really use it there….everyday car is Kia EV6 GT and that has a similar or harder ride, so used to feeling the challenge of bad roads through the seat.

14 hours ago, RossKH said:

There will be others on this forum with far better understanding than me on the suspension/ wheel dynamics I am afraid.  The R is a fantastically dynamic combination & the only thing I am sad about/ thinking about upgrading is from a PDK to a manual….but that is a substantial cost & not really justified!  Looked at one at Williams Crawford v recently but they wouldnt do a trade-in.  In terms of town ride, it feels fine, but I am Sussex countryside so dont really use it there….everyday car is Kia EV6 GT and that has a similar or harder ride, so used to feeling the challenge of bad roads through the seat.

Appreciate the feedback. Very glad to have a 6-speed in mine though I hear the pdk is about as good as an automatic can get. Looking forward to (hopefully) many years of enjoyment in this car, regardless of mods. 

• 1 month later...

Never seen a Carnewal upclose, but for the money it's hard to argue with Milltek (bigger bore than the CR exhaust on top, so less restriction if that interests you).

Buttons for an exhaust are for cars that you want to be able to use in daily situations (early morning starts or going to a funeral).