Tyre Wear 265/35/19 Pirelli P Zero

I've done 6k on these and surprised about the high central wear compared to the outside edges.

Pressures are as recommended and driving style is sometimes 'spirited' but 70% on motorway at normal speeds.

Full geometry check by OPC Bournemouth before I collected her 6 months ago - is this level and pattern of wear normal??

image.jpeg

My 981 came with its original 235 35 20's at the front which had cracks in the tread. Pirelli engineer came out to inspect them and measured them half worn at 19k miles. They had worn evenly across the tread. He agreed they were faulty and took them away. Pirelli sent me a cheque for the full cost of the Goodyears I'd replaced them with.

The lady who dealt with the complaint at Pirelli was: samantha.taylor@pirelli.com

It does look like yours are over inflated, especially as spirited driving would perhaps show wear at the edges more than the centres, but maybe send Pirelli a copy of the photo for their comments?

I would expect to get 20-30k miles out of a set of rears at the very least, but most of my driving is (unfortunately) on the motorway.

Thanks for the response.

I will give it a go.  I have replaced today with a brand new set of the same N2 Pirelli tyres.  It was the same on both sides of the car with the near side slightly worse.

Email sent and more pictures below. The tyre seems to be concave in the centre of the tread!!

Also, front tyres are still like new with 6 - 7mm across the whole tread - don"t figure??  These were brand new and rears were nearly new when I collected my PCS BE from Bournemouth.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Founder

An LSD wouldn't cause this.  

Steve - when you say the tyres were 'nearly new' do you know how nearly new? Have an old invoice? Did you make a note of the date stamp on the side of the tyre by any chance? Could be they've done at least another 6k miles before you took the car...

if so it might be that the uneven pattern was already created by the first part of the tyres life by over inflation, you may have adjusted tyre pressures to the correct level and just worn down evenly from there.  Or, your tyre pressure gauge isn't accurate.  

That wear profile, particularly on the rear can really only be caused by over inflation...unless you spend a lot of time chasing trains ;) 

Edited by Beanoir