Sound package plus?

Hi guys, picking up my 2012 Cayman on Saturday (tick tock, tick tock) and one of the listed options is "sound package plus. "

What exactly is this, is it an upgrade to the usual sound system although I thought that was covered with the Bose system? 

I think Sound Package Plus is just a couple more speakers, I thought it was standard in an S...?  I didn't think you could have that and Bose...

• Founder

You can't have both SPP and Bose, you ticked one option box or the other when new.  Do the speaker grills have little 'BOSE' badges on them? 

I'll have to check on Saturday when I pick her up but I suspect not as Bose was not mentioned whereas sound package plus was.

So to sum up, just an extra couple of speakers rather then any sound upgrade sums up sound package plus? 

It's probably a bit more than that, I think.   If you have PCM (sat nav) you have to spec SP+, Bose or Burmester sound upgrades.  Why I'm not sure, but it's one of the reasons that PCM looks like a damned expensive option.  It's said that the standard sound system is pretty naff (not heard it or SP+ personally), but since Bose (which is a much more expensive upgrade) is no great shakes I wouldn't  set my expectations too high for SP+.

Cheers bcr, the system in my gt86 wasn't brilliant so my expectation level is reasonably low.

Will report my findings once I have sampled it on Saturday, I intend hooking up my iPod to the interface, was hoping the lead would be available via a cheapie China eBay special but it seems not.  I've had a quick Google and it seems design911 sell them but at about £35 with p&p so not cheap ?

I have SP+ in my 981, but yours is a 987 so I'm not sure whether the "upgrade" is the same? 981 brochure reads...

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 14.44.43.png

Listening to MP3 files on USB it sounds quite good really. Better than the BOSE in my TTS but nowhere near as good as the Harmon Kardon in my Merc E-Class.

I'd say it's perfectly adequate in a car you didn't buy to listen to music in.

Thanks for that DJ, interesting, the good news is that in less then 96 hours (and counting) I will get to find out for myself, but yes, you're right, the soundtrack for the journey home will be that of the flat 6 orchestra! :sCh_supersmilie: