Is this a good price

Your opinion please on a silver 2009 Gen 2 Cayman with 40,000 miles at a shade under £20k?    

Nice standard car, no cruise, sat nav etc though may look to fit later though only going to be a weekend car.  

Resprayed front bumper though rest of the car not touched.

Does this sound like good value?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.  Was looking to change the exhaust to a hand made stainless by Tony Banks over Leeds way as I've heard really comments about him.

Many Thanks in advance

Tom

• Founder

Cruise is easy retro fit, Sat Nav (PCM) is a nice to have but for a good car I'd go without.  If the front bumper has been resprayed to a good standard I wouldn't be concerned as its common on a Porsche for this to be the case.  

Carnewal exhaust is the best way forward in my opnion without a doubt 

Is it a 2.9 or a 3.4S? Is it for sale privately or at a dealer?

As Beanoir said there's nothing wrong with a painted bumper, they do get stone damaged, as long as it's done to a good standard - how do you know it's been painted, were you told or did you notice a difference?

The lack of cruise, sat-nav, etc while not a problem for you could put off some purchasers when you want to sell. The sat-nav in mine, while useful, can only handle the first five digits of a post code so is not that accurate.

Is it private or dealer? As a comparison thats not too far from you, Philip Welch has a similar sounding car in, was £23k but he's dropped it to just under £20k

2 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Cruise is easy retro fit, Sat Nav (PCM) is a nice to have but for a good car I'd go without.  If the front bumper has been resprayed to a good standard I wouldn't be concerned as its common on a Porsche for this to be the case.  

Carnewal exhaust is the best way forward in my opnion without a doubt 

The centre grill had not been clipped in properly so pushed back when I took it out today so you could see the flaking paint on the inside of bumper.

Heard good reviews  on Carnewal exhausts though he much would this set you back as Looking to pay <£500.00 for this ideally.

The car is the very same car Welch's have just reduced it to a more realistic price.  Could be why he's not prepared to budge on price.

Noticed some blistering on the catch inside of the bonnet.  Is this something that can easily be rectified and a common problem?

29 minutes ago, M/bikertom said:

The car is the very same car Welch's have just reduced it to a more realistic price.  Could be why he's not prepared to budge on price.

Noticed some blistering on the catch inside of the bonnet.  Is this something that can easily be rectified and a common problem?

If it helps, he's had it a while. I bought the blue one in front of it in the pictures in February. It was up for £23k then. Didn't really look too hard at it as the blue one ticked my boxes. I found him to be a canny bloke to deal with, and he sorted a very small warranty job quickly and without fuss. He did the same for mine, dropped screen then wouldn't budge, got a tank of gas and 6 months tax but that was all

Did ask him about the blue one in the photo though didn't say too much though funny how 4 months works out to be only a few weeks!!  They do have nice cars there though and think they are well looked after.

I think it seems a fair price at under £20k and although liked the look of the darker colours, especially grey, the silver does look nice.

Good to hear you had a good experience.  Was the Blue better spec or lower miles?

3 minutes ago, M/bikertom said:

Good to hear you had a good experience.  Was the Blue better spec or lower miles?

Mine is 2.7 with 29k miles but has sat nav, heated seats, Bose, rear wipe and park sensors, which was what I was after. He dropped it £3k then I bought it. I was torn between the two.  It was a cheaper than the silver one but had more toys, my missus swung it in the end as she preferred the blue one. He has a good reputation, especially amongst jag owners. He mentioned to me he knew a good painter who knew Porsches if I ever needed the front doing as they suffer from chips. Might be worth asking about him if it's that bad the area needs painting.

• Founder
1 hour ago, M/bikertom said:

Blistering/rust on the bonnet catch is a common issue on gen1 and gen2 cars, they all suffer eventually but easily fixed. 

Edited by Beanoir

Good to hear its an easy fix. Its under the bonnet so out of site though better they sort than I have to pay out to have sorted. 

Suprised they have an issue with rust as thought most cars (with the exception of Mercs!). Were pretty rust free nowadays. 

6 hours ago, M/bikertom said:

Surprised they have an issue with rust as thought most cars (with the exception of Mercs!). Were pretty rust free nowadays. 

The exhaust system nuts, bolts, clamps etc can rust much more than you would expect for a prestige make, pay particular attention to the manifold bolts and the bolts which connect the exhausts to the catalysts.

Are you thinking of using the car on track? If so you might appreciate one with Sports Chrono which makes the electronic throttle more sensitive, you can get an aftermarket device fitted but I don't know the details.

Are there any other 2.9s around which have all of the options mentioned in this thread? How much more would it cost to buy one of them?

It's quite common for any Porsche to have had some form of respray at the front, they're prone to stone chips all the way up the bonnet.  Just make sure it's not due to crash damage.  To be honest if it's flaking then I'd probably insist the dealer gets the job done again to a good standard or you knock him down accordingly.  

Might be worth having an independent inspection carried out. 

Thanks for all the late night and early morning responses. 

Sorry it sounded a lot worse than it is.  

The flaking is on the back side of the bumper, usually hidden by the central back plastic trim below the number plate which, when they put on trade plates must have knocked it back and as the trim was not fully in locators.  

Pushing back this trim to reveal the back of the bumper which is where you could see overspray and flaking.

The re-spay has been done to a really high standard as I've seen plenty of badly colour matched panels.  I don't know if silver is a difficult colour to match though I've seen bad colour matching on more silver than any other colour.

The car is exactly as I would like and if I want to put on cruise at a later stage then at least this is not a expensive retro fix. 

Looking at covers, cleaning etc, etc to keep it looking good and need to make space in my garage for a car!!  First time in 14 years it'll be used as it was originally intended lol

• Like 1

As Trickle says, check or have checked that there's no front end damage which was the cause of the paint.

3 hours ago, M/bikertom said:

Looking at covers, cleaning etc, etc to keep it looking good and need to make space in my garage for a car!!  First time in 14 years it'll be used as it was originally intended lol

Just curious, but if its in a garage what would you need a cover for?
I have to admit Im not a fan of the covers, due to the potential for damage caused by dirt on the paint rubbing when it moves, but if its in a garage then its unlikely that the wind will cause much movement. Or am I missing something else?

4 hours ago, Madmoggy said:

Just curious, but if its in a garage what would you need a cover for?
I have to admit Im not a fan of the covers, due to the potential for damage caused by dirt on the paint rubbing when it moves, but if its in a garage then its unlikely that the wind will cause much movement. Or am I missing something else?

No, you covered it when you said why cover it if it's garaged.

How do you store the cover when not in use to ensure no dirt gets on the underside surface?

What happens if the car's wet when put away?

Can you get the cover on/off whilst in the garage?

If the car has been driven and is slightly dusty, do you wash it every time you arrive home, then dry it, then cover it?

A slight layer of dust, present after even a short drive, could be disturbed by the cover going on and off. I find a slight layer is unnoticeable on my silver car, unless I rub against the bumper say, then you can see it's dusty. Best not to disturb it. 

A cover on a garaged car is useful to protect the car if you need to squeeze past it to get to tools etc, but I only cover my car when it's clean/dry and if I know I'll be squeezing past the car several times. You might ask "why not just move the car out of the garage" but I don't think it's good for the engine to start it and switch it off without having allowed it to reach normal operating temperature. You might then ask "why not go for a drive to warm up the engine", that would then delay me from getting on with the job I went to the garage to get tools for........... hmm, not a bad idea :wind14:.

I like you're last comment.  From experience leaving a car without gathers dust pretty quickly though I also understand the issues and have in the past just used a couple of single sheets which help and are easy to clean so may do that if at all!  A cheap double sheet it'll also save a £100+!

Think the grey is the best looking colour for this car Twopointnine though difficult to find,

Anyway, paid for the car now and they're fixing all points raised and should be collecting once plate has been transferred, just I time for my 50th!  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, M/bikertom said:

Anyway, paid for the car now and they're fixing all points raised and should be collecting once plate has been transferred, just I time for my 50th!  

yeyy, nice one