My 12 months with Carman the Cayman S - Review

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info, it's now up for sale via soper select for a considerable mark up. 

I gave them all the receipts I had, including the last one at cavendish with a list of outstanding work required (which I never had done)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607155879223

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's no longer for sale at soper select so I can only assume it's sold. Unless they had no joy at there asking price of .................. wait for it.............£17k and have punted it on to another dealer. I will keep my eye out for it and update the thread as I find out more. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Pretzel said:

So what did you replace the Caymen with Mark?

Bmw m135i, I was thinking m2 but after driving the m135i I couldn't justify the extra cost. The m135i is more than enough car. 

I got got a pre reg car with 4 miles on it for £28k so about £11k of list, pretty much every option accept active dampers. I did consider waiting for the m140i but to be fair there's not a lot of difference between them. I realise it's a totally different engin but only produces about 15bhp more. 

13 hours ago, markbarry1977 said:

Bmw m135i, I was thinking m2 but after driving the m135i I couldn't justify the extra cost. The m135i is more than enough car. 

I got got a pre reg car with 4 miles on it for £28k so about £11k of list, pretty much every option accept active dampers. I did consider waiting for the m140i but to be fair there's not a lot of difference between them. I realise it's a totally different engin but only produces about 15bhp more. 

Sorry I missed the mention of a M135i in the opening paragraph.  It will be interesting to see how it compares with the Cayman, especially from a reliability point of view.

They're reliable, and they're practically giving the 140i away at the moment, £7k contributions! Cheap as chips.  Still a hatchback though if that floats your boat. 

19 hours ago, Trickle said:

They're reliable, and they're practically giving the 140i away at the moment, £7k contributions! Cheap as chips.  Still a hatchback though if that floats your boat. 

We sold our third car (fiesta) as the wife decided to quit running oil rigs after the rotor head seperated off the last helicopter crash. To be fair I'm glad she doesn't have to travel offshore for 3 weeks at a time but it's meant a considerable reduction on her salary. To that end we got rid of the fiesta and running a 370z along with a Porsche that need considerable money spending on it. I sort of came to the conclusion that I needed something I could get all my kit in and had more space but was stop quick. I tested the m135i, golf r, looked at a focus rs, in the I had a 1 series before and loved it. So the m135i won. I may look for a 981 in the future when I feel the itch to change again. 

Did you consider depreciation when choosing or was that not an issue?

The reason for my questions is that I have a 993 which I'm considering selling, as there is so much else that I could get for the money.  Initially my choice was a 2.7 or 2.9 Caymen, but I'm now looking at all sorts of cars. 

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

The reason for my questions is that I have a 993 which I'm considering selling, as there is so much else that I could get for the money.  Initially my choice was a 2.7 or 2.9 Caymen, but I'm now looking at all sorts of cars. 

What's on the list??

9 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I did consider a 911, this would again leave me out of a warranty, my experience with 3rd party warranties has been woeful every time. 

This gives me 3 years worry free motoring with the option to extend the factory warranty if I want to do so. 

My ultimate decision was the BMW is one heck of a car. I would never buy another Porsche unless I could afford to a) purchase it from an opc and b) keep it in the opc network. Something I/we can't really justify the cost of. 

16 hours ago, markbarry1977 said:

I did consider a 911, this would again leave me out of a warranty, my experience with 3rd party warranties has been woeful every time. 

This gives me 3 years worry free motoring with the option to extend the factory warranty if I want to do so. 

My ultimate decision was the BMW is one heck of a car. I would never buy another Porsche unless I could afford to a) purchase it from an opc and b) keep it in the opc network. Something I/we can't really justify the cost of. 

Fully agree, when spending serious money on a car the manufacturers warranty is a must.

• Founder
12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Maserati  Granturismo, DB9, 997 or the Caymen are this weeks thoughts.

There really are only 2 serious options on that list surely?

• Like 1

It's weird isn't it that a £39k BMW is actually a £28k BMW. So... the real RRP is £28k. This worried me when my wife was looking for a new X1.

Paying "list" for your 135i would have meant a £39k car loses £25k in 3 years, down to £14k. This is due to the 50% depreciation off RRP which is... £28k in the real world. BMW do seem to be throwing their cars away nowadays. Just about every extra is standard to further encourage mass market appeal.

They really have become "common" rather than popular. 

Still, all said and done, she's really happy with the X1 and I must agree. Ticks all the boxes and fast for a brick on wheels too!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

There really are only 2 serious options on that list surely?

Never, EVER, buy an Aston. It'll go wrong several times, leave you with wet feet and cost £1000 a month to run. I have the T-Shirt.

Neighbour's Vantage "couldn't be fixed" by AM (gearbox issue). We saw it for a few weeks, then it disappeared for months (five) never to be seen again.

I think AM must have just thrown it away. A Gallardo appeared in its place and has had no issues (it's an Audi I think?).

• Founder
17 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Never, EVER, buy an Aston. It'll go wrong several times, leave you with wet feet and cost £1000 a month to run. I have the T-Shirt.

Neighbour's Vantage "couldn't be fixed" by AM (gearbox issue). We saw it for a few weeks, then it disappeared for months (five) never to be seen again.

I think AM must have just thrown it away. A Gallardo appeared in its place and has had no issues (it's an Audi I think?).

it was once said that 2 things in life would reduce a grown man to tears; 

1) a kick in the nuts 

2) the servicing costs of a DB9