Newbie Seeking Advice

Hi, just joined the forum. I'm picking up my first Porsche next week, a three year old 981 Cayman and I'm keen to be fairly familiar with things when I drive it away.

Is the owners manual available online at all? I'd like to be able to set up the various menu options when I pick it up. 

• Founder

Welcome! :) must be excited! 

I'm pretty sure there is an online manual, could be a useful thing to add to the site where the Buyers Guides are...Mods! 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum!  

Porsche publish the manuals online, in their own unique way but not to everybody's taste in terms of format.  

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-cayman-owners-manual

If you're like me and like reading the new car manual sitting down with a cuppa, then the PDF version is available somewhere i'm sure, leave it with me.  

Thanks for the help. I did already find the video tutorials and they are every interesting, but getting to the details is more what I'm after.

Another couple of questions. I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. 

Apart from the front HIDs, are all the lights LED?  I know the rears, brake and reversing are LED, but how about the indicators (dynamic?), side indicators and interiors?

If I only have the sound package plus option (just extra speakers I think), will my phone connect with bluetooth? If not, is there an aux or usb in socket to play my music via iPod or iPhone?

Sorry, another one. I noticed two small pieces of plastic in the armrest and asked the dealer what they were. Some kind of security device. He briefly explained that you must have one one your person (or in the car) otherwise even with the key, the car will cut out after starting.

Have I understood that correctly?

• Founder
19 minutes ago, gmtsteve said:

Sorry, another one. I noticed two small pieces of plastic in the armrest and asked the dealer what they were. Some kind of security device. He briefly explained that you must have one one your person (or in the car) otherwise even with the key, the car will cut out after starting.

Have you got a photo? I wasn't aware the 987 ever had that kind of device.  Are you sure they're not the tags for the tracker...?

• Founder
39 minutes ago, gmtsteve said:

Another couple of questions. I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. 

Apart from the front HIDs, are all the lights LED?  I know the rears, brake and reversing are LED, but how about the indicators (dynamic?), side indicators and interiors?

If I only have the sound package plus option (just extra speakers I think), will my phone connect with bluetooth? If not, is there an aux or usb in socket to play my music via iPod or iPhone?

Rear lights in Gen2 are led but not sure about rear indicators.  Side indicators are standard bulbs. 

Sound Package Plus is extra speakers and amp (in front boot).  

You need to check which options were ticked, can the dealer supply the front page of the handbook? If so it will have all the 3 digit codes for the options that were fitted from factory, you can then check them against the buyers guide on here (link from the top menu at the top of the page) and see.   All auxiliary inputs are located in the centre compartment under the armrest. 

No pictures. Could well be a tracker, to be honest I didn't listen properly when he explained. They are black/dark grey matt plastic, about 50mm square with one rounded side. Can you explain how it works please?

Car is 63 plate regarding the lights question. 

Here is a link to the car.

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?cid=1

34 minutes ago, gmtsteve said:

Sounds like Porsche VTS fobs.

They're the tracker fobs. Only live if you choose to subscribe. Mine are in a drawer somewhere...

For Bluetooth you need "mobile phone prep" minimum. SPP has nowt to do with it. SPP in mine is fairly good, especially from USB. 

Can't answer the bulb question other than rear indicators and high level brake light are obviously led. Lights look cool whatever they are. Are you thinking of mods to bulbs already?

No, no mods. Just that my last car (Toyota GT86) had LED tail and brake lights, but apart from HIDs, all the other were filament bulbs. All LEDs gives a nice consistent look. 

So I can plug my iPod in via USB and use it via the Porsche touchscreen? If so, do I need a special lead or will the standard Apple USB lead work?

Is the socket in the centre arm rest?

USB is in glovebox. I leave a USB stick plugged in with my music on it as I've not worked out how to transfer all of it to the 40GB "jukebox" hard drive. Select USB via the "Source" button and you're away. Not sure about iPod connectivity though. Extra 12v socket in glovebox and armrest too.

I've a feeling there's an aux in too, not sure where!?

Hi Steve, you seem to have followed a similar path to myself, I also previously had a Gt86 but although a great handling and looking car it just lacked out and out power so I swapped to and 2012 Cayman just last month. My iPod sits in the centre console and is connected with the "Y" lead which I bought from design911 for I think it was about £35.

I have attached a picture of the lead in question although just check you need the same with yours being a year newer. 

Paul

ipod cable updatedjpg.jpg

Paul, Steve's is a 981 not a 987, so armrest doesn't have those inputs.

Steve, brochure here: http://www.autoevolution.com/_mozpdfjs/web/viewer.php?file=http://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/auto/053b5080445307eb5e1a103ad9be864f/578be4bd/porsche-cayman-s-981-brochure-uk.pdf&title=UE9SU0NIRSBDYXltYW4gUyAoOTgxKSBCcm9jaHVyZSAoVUsp

Go to p.92 for audio etc.

PCM option contains the hard drive.