Vibration at "speed"

Simon L

Hi this is my first post having joined a week or so back, after taking delivery of a nice low mileage 2013  Cayman S. Haven't been able to use it much till today so am disappointed that just above 60 mph there is quite severe vibration from the suspension under power. Lift off and it disappears. Will be back to dealer , but thoughts are wheel balancing or maybe flat spotted tyres due to low mileage. Any other ideas anyone? 

987 Monkey - not sure if it's front wheels the steering wheel does shudder to an extent but can also feel it through the seat. 

DJMC my thought is wheel balance too. Now booked in to local Porsche Centre for a road test on Monday so will see what they think. It's under warranty so they can sort it out!

The car does have 20" wheels which I suspect may be more sensitive to balancing issues.

on the plus side my Zunsport grilles should arrive in next day or so and will get them fitted at weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

An update - having cancelled my visit to opc thinking problem had sorted itself- is that on a long motorway run in France the issue manifests itself at about 60 mph up to 80  mph when accelerating under medium throttle . Lifting off stops the vibration so am beginning to think this is not a suspension or tyre / wheel issue and is perhaps to do with fuelling. 

Anyway off off to opt when back in uk...

• Founder
9 hours ago, Simon L said:

An update - having cancelled my visit to opc thinking problem had sorted itself- is that on a long motorway run in France the issue manifests itself at about 60 mph up to 80  mph when accelerating under medium throttle . Lifting off stops the vibration so am beginning to think this is not a suspension or tyre / wheel issue and is perhaps to do with fuelling. 

Anyway off off to opt when back in uk...

Its got to be wheel balance, surely.  I wonder if it's thrown a weight or if a tyre has gone out of shape. 

First stop has to be wheel balanace check, easy one to tick off the list and cheap fix if it is that.  

• 2 weeks later...

OPC road tested yesterday, thinks tyres but not certain, booked in for attention 14 September mber so more news after that. Discounted wheel balancing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Further update - OPC has eliminated tyres and wheels as cause of the problem. Current advice from Porsche Germany is to try engine mounts and then gearbox mounts, so these are to be replaced. All under warranty  and Porsche Assist has provided a BMW 3 series with 19 miles on clock as a replacement while work is continuing - 5 days so far...

The car has the dynamic mounts so that may be where the problem lies I guess.

This is the kind of thing where you think about extending the warranty up to 15 years. Imagine it wasn't under warranty... "Well, we've changed the engine mounts, gearbox mounts, all four wheels, the whole of the suspension, and it's still there. Bill so far is £22,987.23. We need to change the engine next to see if that fixes it. You OK with that? It's another £13,224.76." 

Always scary when they can't diagnose the problem straight off.

Why a BMW from VAG? You'd think an Audi at least. Odd.

Fingers crossed they find it, or they may have to replace the car! 718?

• Like 1

Yes I shudder to think what it would cost if not under warranty. 

And it certainly has made me think seriously about extending it when time comes for that to be needed.

The BMW (330d M Sport) is not bad - comes from Enterprise who have a commercial agreement with Porsche Assist apparently. But I do hope I get my car back soon.  There has been an ominous silence from OPC thus week so don't know what they have tried so far, will try them on Friday ...

So for those still interested in this saga, OPC has eliminated tyres and wheels, electrical faults, engine mountings, and gearbox mountings.

A mechanical rotational defect is the diagnosis, meaning driveshafts or failing that an internal gearbox fault meaning a new box....

"Further authorisation " from Germany is now being sought....

Stop press . OPC rang at end of working day to say problem is fixed, it was the driveshafts. So tomorrow it will be valeted and back with me, nearly two weeks without it and I know it was defective when the car was delivered to me in August, but I guess not much I can do about it. Bought from another OPC so I would expect better, and something like this to have been identified and fixed pre sale. But just pleased to be getting it back now.

magic8080 it's a PDK .

• Like 1

Ask for some compensation from Porsche GB? For loss of enjoyment etc.

They missed the wheel stone chips on my pre-purchase 111 point check and then refunded the cost and more. And I bought mine privately!