718 Cayman S

I find I only use the paddles for overtaking. For "fun" I'm with you about using the gear lever to emulate a manual car. I first did this the day after using a manual Boxster courtesy car and enjoying the ability to keep the revs as high as I liked in each gear.

Next day, driving back from the OPC in my car, I used the gear lever and found I could do exactly the same but much more quickly, without my left foot, and with no missed shifts. Chuckled when the car "blipped" on downshift too, although entirely unnecessary of course (both the blips and my chuckling).

As for the 718 sound, looking at your scenery you probably don't hear so much of the burble at idle and can enjoy the higher revs too.

Thanks DJMC.

I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the PDK stick shifting. On the auto blipping, I think Porsche could have made it a tad more pronounced, it's a bit subtle for my taste. Unlike the backfiring and popping of the sport exhaust on Sport mode. This feature is a bit overdone IMO.

On the engine sound, I'm actually getting to quite like it. I never thought I'd say this as I'm a fan of the flat-six howl. On my car the engine sounds quite purposeful and pokey, and I'm looking forward to extending the revs to the upper reaches as soon as the running-in period has been completed. It's definitely a different sound compared to a Scooby or a Toyota GT86, and in time I'm sure will be accepted as a distinctive Porsche sound. The performance looks very promising so far even with restricted running-in revs.

Brian       

• 9 months later...

Just a few thoughts, having driven a 987, a 981 and a 718 in recent months.  

I think the 981 is much prettier than the 987 - slightly more leg room in the 981, better stance and steering not as diminished as expected.

The 718's turbo induced torque is better suited to normal road use than the 6 cylinder motors; 380Nm from 2000 to 4500 rpm in the 718 against 260Nm at 2500, rising to 290Nm from 4500 to 6500 in the 981, (both non-S).  The higher revving naturally respirated engines do sound much better at higher speeds - lovely for track use, but would have to be worked to illegal speeds on the road to be most satisfying.  A more extreme example of this problem is the F20C Honda engine - lovely on the track, way short of torque for enjoyable road use.  

Maybe the only real complaint, (possibly mostly from old school Porsche drivers), about the 718 is the odd noise it makes, a bit like an ancient John Deere at idle, better at higher engine speeds.  But not a serious problem, I suggest.  

• Thanks 1

In the past 16 months ... having driven 8,000 miles in a Cayman R manual; 4,000 miles in a Cayman S 981 PDK, 12 hours in manual and PDK 718 Boxsters / Caymans - several being 4 hours runs and being a passenger on road and track in a well driven 718 CS PDK ... I have the following opinion:

Each generation is an ultimate / overall improvement over it`s predecessor ...

The 718 is a superb performer but not the total experience that I want ... yet ;)

The 981 CS in PDK form is absolutely sublime :Banane21:and all that I want ... at the moment ;)

The 987 (CR)  is a niche model hence slightly ... limited :sAng_stirthepot: 

The 718 is the better for the track, the 981 for the road ... N.B. it is up to the driver to make the best of the car, not the other way around :) ... aye, I`m a former Honda DC2 ITR and Accord Type R owner !!! 

• 4 weeks later...

I've just completed 12 months and 10k miles in my 718 CS PDK. Of those miles, 500 have been on track days, the remainder mostly on the wonderful rural driver's roads in my Highland locality, the Yorkshire dales, and Snowdonia. No issues whatsoever on mechanical, electrical, electronic, or engine heat management. Oil consumption has been zero, with no top ups required. I had the engine oil and filter changed at 6k miles, and I shall be replacing the air filter element early in the new year, and the brake pads before the track day season commences. It was my choice to replace the Pirelli P-Zero N1's with Michelin PS4S N0 tyres at 10k miles. The P-Zero N1's are an improvement on the N0, but for my preferences, fall short in consistency of grip at track day pace. Average fuel consumption over the 12 months is 28 mpg.This is perfectly acceptable as I use Sport mode most of the time and shift the gears manually using the paddles. Throttle response in Sport manual mode is absolutely instant. No turbo lag issues at all. My mileage is mainly on winding rural roads and the only times I am on motorways or dual carriageways for any length of time, is on the long haul south of the border to attend car events or track days. Motorways are the only time I experience any droning of the exhaust note. Running in high density traffic in convoy with variable speed limits is not what the 718 Cs is designed for. The relatively traffic-free Highland rural roads, at least away from the tourist season, are where the 718 excels.                 

I have become used to the flat-4 acoustics. Its not the creamy, sonorous sound of the flat-6 but the wide and lusty torque band, make the car a pure joy to drive on winding roads that follow the contours of the land. In my opinion, the 718 CS PDK as I have specced it, is a very good car indeed. The 718 CS PDK is an accomplished, fast, and supremely balanced track day car, and also a comfortable and practical tourer.

My previous Cayman R manual which I owned for 4 years and 30k miles, was the best driver's car I had ever owned up to that point in my life. If you want a pure driving machine at an "affordable price" the CR manual is unequalled and already a classic. The 718 CS PDK specced with all the sporty options, is, overall, a better car in my opinion. I just turn up the music on the motorways.

Happy New Year all.

Brian