718 Cayman S

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 21:40, 987Monkey said:

Lovely colour...but the engine noise..deal breaker 

Surprised that the sound is a deal breaker ? IMO its a step forward from Porsche going Turbo charged it may sound like a Scooby to you  but they aren't going to go back wards !!! :sAng_stirthepot: 

• Founder
1 hour ago, Scotty718 said:

Surprised that the sound is a deal breaker ? IMO its a step forward from Porsche going Turbo charged it may sound like a Scooby to you  but they aren't going to go back wards !!! :sAng_stirthepot: 

I have to say I agree, the new Cayman/Bosxters sound bloody awful 

14 hours ago, Beanoir said:

I have to say I agree, the new Cayman/Bosxters sound bloody awful 

What's wrong with the Ducati sound!?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2016 at 21:04, Scotty718 said:

Backwards or not, it still sounds pants!   

Having driven my mates 981 Cayman with PSE I felt unless you were ringing its neck the sound wasn't that great IMO as for the 718 its head and shoulders above the 981 IMO in ever department !!

40 minutes ago, Scotty718 said:

Having driven my mates 981 Cayman with PSE I felt unless you were ringing its neck the sound wasn't that great IMO as for the 718 its head and shoulders above the 981 IMO in ever department !!

6 hours ago, Scotty718 said:

...apart from, engine noise, exhaust noise, steering (ask Chris Harris), engine & exhaust noise, smooth power delivery, PASM, engine noise, lack of turbo lag, fuel economy (I suspect!)... ;)

Chris Harris from Top ginger gear ? behave lol should rename this a 987/981 Cayman owners club lol cause your doing nothing to encourage the new school owners if you want any that is on here !!! 

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Scotty718 said:

Chris Harris from Top ginger gear ? behave lol should rename this a 987/981 Cayman owners club lol cause your doing nothing to encourage the new school owners if you want any that is on here !!! 

Relax, everybody is welcome.  You've ordered yourself one of the most contentious cars in recent Porsche history so expect plenty of this.  

Its not aimed at you.  I for one am looking looking forward to your experiences as one of the first 718C owners.  

Fly the flag, take the flack and enjoy the experience.  

David fears change we all know that ;) 

No, I don't fear change, but when you make a contentious statement like "...as for the 718 its head and shoulders above the 981 IMO in every department !!" you have to expect some flack back. Maybe?

If you like 4 cylinder turbo powered cars, the torque, the "push", then the 718 will suit you fine. The 718S Nick (Beanoir) and I test drove for CAR is probably THE best 4cyl turbo sports car out there presently. But I had had a 6cyl N/A BMW for 9 years, then went to a 4cyl turbo TTS and, for me, the TTS didn't drive the way I prefer, and was used to. I didn't like the lag, or the over-run, and the engineered "BLAP... BLAP... BLAP..." from the TTS's exhaust was only there under full acceleration.

There's plenty to like about the new 718, but for me the 6cyl noise, right from start-up to the red-line, is one of THE most important factors.

Saying the 718 is better than anything anyone else drives, even in your opinion, maybe wasn't the best way to encourage a warm welcome, but all these cars are great. It just depends on which you prefer. And any preference IS welcome here. So... :welcome:

Just to mix it all up a little..... 

I quite like the sound of the new engines, as a petrol head, it sounds purposeful and energetic... yes it's in the body of a car that most people would associate with a 6cyl engine, But one hell of a machine it still is. 

People compare them to a GT86/Impreza's... there is no comparison, it's a Porsche... nothing compares to that. 

Which is why we are all here. 

• 3 months later...

Ok guys listen up.......

I've just crossed the first 1000 miles in my new 982 CS PDK. It has the full keen driver's spec, apart from the bucket seats, which I have already described in a previous thread. Coming from 3 previous Caymans over the last 8 years, my last one a CR manual, I expected my new 982 CS PDK to be a backward step in almost every department, especially the flat 4 turbo engine sound for example. Well, surprise ,surprise, it's much better to drive than I had anticipated. 

First the downsides, The steering is not nearly as communicative as with the CR. The 982 steering has lost the fizz and tactile feedback from the road surface that so appealed with the CR hydraulic power steering. However, I love the quicker ratio rack and the smaller diameter GT alcantara steering wheel. The engine does drone a bit, but where I live the roads follow the contours of the land and offer plenty opportunities for cog shifting to break the drone monotony. A minor niggle, I also miss the cubby hole in front of the gear stick on 987 Caymans.

The new PDK configuration in tandem with Sport Chrono plus is absolutely fabulous. At long last Porsche have altered the stick shift to be more intuitive for us motorsport drivers with the push forward down changes and pull back upshifts. Speaking of which, today I completed a 220 mile drive across the western Highlands in Sport mode, and using the central gear shift set to manual to swap cogs rather than using the paddles. This was by way of an experiment for me, as when using the paddles, I had found myself glancing at the gearshift indicator on the rev counter to confirm which gear I was in. Being a lifetime manual gearbox exponent, I found the central lever shift much more intuitive to use on the road, as I would a manual shift. It was just like driving a sequential gearshift racer. My brain retained the information as to which gear I was in so much easier with the central stick shift than with the paddles. I can't explain why that should be so.

The new -20mm Sport PASM is also a big step forward for me. Previous PASM set ups left me feeling underwhelmed. Not so this new system. Even with the wider 20" Carrera Sport alloys the ride comfort is surprisingly compliant. Even in Sport mode it is far more comfortable than the CR passive suspension ever was. I have a track day booked in June at Knockhill in Fife, so I'll have a better idea of the comparison with my CR after that.

Suffice to say, thus far I am surprisingly impressed with the overall package of the new 982 CS PDK, as it is configured in my spec that is.

There more I drive it, the more I like it.

Brian

CS Kinlochewe.jpg

• Like 1