The Grand Tour....

Andy

Well, the long awaited return of Clarkson and co were back on the screens as of 12pm last night on Amazon, like them or loath them, you will get to see some nice cars being driven in ways which most of us can only dream of.... 

Being a recipient of Amazon Prime, I managed to watch it this morning on my way into the office... I won't give much away for those who are waiting to watch it at some point. 

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you have some?  

How hard are the BBC kicking themselves for letting this money spinning trio slip from their grasp? VERY.

I'll be watching it in the next few days, and looking out for the anticipated slights at the beeb, "punching" puns, and jibes about the food being the wrong sort, etc...

Clarkson for PM, President, whatever.

2 hours ago, DJMC said:

looking out for the anticipated slights at the beeb, "punching" puns, and jibes about the food being the wrong sort, etc...

Without giving anything away.... you won't have to look very far to spot all of the above mentioned! 

2 hours ago, CaymanDave said:

Was very entertaining! I liked the opening sequence with JC leaving the beeb and flying out to the US

Yes, I thought it was quite well done, some wooden acting, but then that's what makes them I guess. 

After the car crash that was the revamped TopGear, I'm so glad that there is going to be an entertaining show for petrol heads to watch, and with it being 12 episodes a season too that will means it'll fit plenty in. 

For a first episode, I thought it was a great start, I can definitely see it getting better as time goes on.

Thought the main feature was a bit of a cop out though, that comparison has been done too many times now. The Chris Harris version (which was released exactly one year ago now) was much more insightful and entertaining IMO, but I guess that's always the case with TopGear, etc. They have to appeal to a larger audience and not just petrol heads. Always find that Clarkson, Hammond and May are much better at doing the comical challenges rather than the actual car journalism, but I know a lot of people that watch it primarily for the car reviews (usually older generations that don't watch stuff on the internet, etc.), so we're back to the "larger audience" predicament again I guess :/ 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought episode 1 was brilliant and episode 2 utter rubbish! I imagine episode 2 is based on some kind of video game (Call of duty??) which I know nothing about, being someone who's last video game was that ping pong game with 2 bats and a square ball going back and forth across the screen ?

I hear we're back to cars again for episode 3 so I'll look forward to a return to form when I watch it this evening.

I like the show, but I doubt I'd be glued if I came to it cold (as if that were possible) xD

I think it's fun in a nostalgic kind of way now. I see little point in analysing each episode, as there will be high and low moments like always with those 3.

For a dinner party, I'd take those three amigos, but if I was offered a behind the scenes car related experience, then the new TG takes it for me! 

More car stuff and a little less 'Irrelevent twaddle' (JM)   :)

I was bored of clarkson and Hammond a couple of series before they got the sack. This Amazon version hasn't changed that, in fact the scripted 'banter' and carefully worked out 'controversial' comments are even more painful. I quiet like james May, not in this though. Will be interesting to see if the BBC TG is any better now they've got rid of the ginger fella. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Porker said:

Will be interesting to see if the BBC TG is any better now they've got rid of the ginger fella. 

Well lets face it, it can't be any worse than it was! 

I think Matt LeBlanc was okay, more than likely showed his good side due to the horrendous TFI style presenting from Chris Evens... Hopefully Matt and the other Chris will work well together and be able to bring us a proper motoring show again. 

The Grand Tour, is now a scripted entertainment show based on the three personalities of the presenters, it will get wearing having the same jokes every week though I expect.