718 Spyder

Typhoon

My local PC told me this weekend the 718 Spyder will launch end 2018 and that they have 5 allocations. Put myself on the list for one. I absolutely love the 981 Spyder and knowing Porsche it will only improve!  Only big question is whether they will use the N/A 6 cilinder (which has been suggested in an interview with Porsche's commercial director)  or the 4 cilinder turbo. Majority is expecting Porsche will use the 718 4 cilinder turbo so I'm guessing Porsche will do the contrary. In any case I expect the 718 Spyder to become one hell of a ride.

I can't see them using anything other than the 4 pot turbo in the Spyder, the GT4 will more than likely be the only one to retain the 6 Cylinder. 

It's still a big ? but there have been signs coming from people within Porsche that the 718 Spyder will get the N/A flat 6. The 4 pot would be the most logical thing to do but then again Porsche is not about being logical.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/porsche-confirms-n-a-flat-6-will-live-on-in-718-boxster-spyder-718-cayman-gt4-109662.html

Either way, it'll be uglier than the standard Boxster imo.

Just can't see the point of those lumpy bumpy things behind the seat, trying to make it "exclusive"?

Surely the "718" badge is enough harking back to days of yore?

And the 981 Spyder's roof is a joke compared to the slick Boxster one.

Just my opinion of course...

• Like 1

Every opinion is valid! I guess you either love the Spyder or you don't. I absolutely fell in love with one that I saw in the local Porsche strongroom where they keep clients' cars in deposit. It's been sitting there for over a year now. Incredible beauty. And I have heard many comments from people owning collections of super cars that the Spyder is the best ride in their collection, so the car must be a special drive.

Realy like your Cayman BTW! Mine will be quite similar. Rhodium silver with black Carrera S wheels. Still 2 months to go before delivery... 

• Like 1

Perhaps it's just because it's different that some like the Spyder? I don't doubt it's performance but for me the looks, although more "look at me" than the standard Boxster, detract from the ownership proposition to the same degree the engine adds. But then, having owned a DB7 I'm past the point where driving a conspicuous car is important. I realised it was the car people were looking at and not the forty-something, greying, twit driving it. 

Some like a BMW X6, and that's, erm, "different" but it doesn't make it a work of art, even though some try to embellish it...

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 15.55.12.png

• 6 months later...
On 03/04/2017 at 10:23, Typhoon said:

My local PC told me this weekend the 718 Spyder will launch end 2018 and that they have 5 allocations. Put myself on the list for one. I absolutely love the 981 Spyder and knowing Porsche it will only improve!  Only big question is whether they will use the N/A 6 cilinder (which has been suggested in an interview with Porsche's commercial director)  or the 4 cilinder turbo. Majority is expecting Porsche will use the 718 4 cilinder turbo so I'm guessing Porsche will do the contrary. In any case I expect the 718 Spyder to become one hell of a ride.

Any more news from your OPC on this @Typhoon?