Tiptronic questions

While looking for a Cayman to buy I have been searching just manual cars since Tiptronic is lumped in with automatics.

Firstly is this fair?  

In my mind paddle shift is a different linkage between the driver and the gear box - similar in the way that the accelerator is generally no longer a direct cable between the pedal and the throttle.

So secondly, am I missing out on a potentially good drive? Not having driven a Cayman with tiptronic does it take getting use to?

Other questions about tiptronic:

• Is it semi-auto - you can change early but eventually the car will change gear for you or is it entirely down to the driver?
  • Also I cant seem to get my head around changing gears with my thumb(s).  How does that feel?

Presuming a used car, which model Cayman ... 987 / 981 ?

Tiptronic = Porsche PDK

You really need to go drive one to answer most of your questions as gear change is a personal taste.

I have not driven a 987 PDK but recently changed from a 987.2 manual short shift to a 981 PDK and do not regret it at all, both are great experiences.

I believe that the thumb operated change is on the earlier 987 cars, a paddle wheel can be fitted though ... I think ? 

I thought Tiptronic gearboxes, as on the 986 Boxster and 987.1 Boxster/Cayman, were conventional torque converter automatics? The PDK 'twin clutch' automatic gearbox was introduced on the 987.2 cars - don't both types of gearbox allow you to make 'manual' shifts with the gear lever or buttons/paddles?

Most 987.2 PDK cars had the 'button' shift but some were specced with paddles (standard on the R, I think that may be called a Porsche Sport Design steering wheel), even the 981 PDK cars have buttons as standard with paddles being an option.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

My 987.2 S is a late'ish example with 'proper' flappy paddle PDK. I absolutely love it. Auto when pootling, but full control (with safeguards*) when pressing by on is doable. I've not tried a pre-PDK 'slush-box' though, so others would have to comment if you're talking an earlier car.

As said above, try the auto (PDK preferably I'd guess), and a manual. See which *you* prefer.

• 1 month later...

Personal preference but I wouldn't entertain any car with a manual box these days. Can take a bit of getting used to but when you do you won't regret it. The thumb paddles in mine are quite good to be honest (987.1) and I never use the paddles on my Range Rover as absolutely hate them!  Surprised Porsche didn't have a + and - gear stick tbh which is a much easier method to convert drivers in my opinion as its like a halfway house. (Surprisingly though the worst car I ever drove with paddle shift was an AMG Merc, worst gearbox I've experienced . You had done the corner/bend before it changed and was in my opinion dangerous)  The change on mine is pretty much when you press! 

Strange as I just can't get used to the drive of an Auto / PDK.  I have just searched endlessly for a manual 911 or Cayman and picked up a very rare Cayman S from Porsche Leicester with 7.5k miles on the clock on a 63 plate. The manual 6 speed is a joy to drive and I suppose I am old school with three pedals required.

Her stable mate is a Z4M with a similar set up.  I used to have a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo with VVTi tiptronic gearbox and hardly ever tried to drive it in a manual mode in 17k miles. Ultimately I lost interest in the car because of the gearbox.

Different people, different requirements I suppose.

H.

To be fair Harvard I'm old school as well, but injuries after a bike accident made me favour an auto/triptronic. That said having driven stacks of high end autos over the years I would say that the auto boxes on more modern cars are a joy to drive if you can get used to it. I don't suppose most of the manufactures produce most of their race cars with semi auto boxes for no reason. 

But as you so rightly say it's always personal  preference which matters. 

11 hours ago, Banners said:

To be fair Harvard I'm old school as well, but injuries after a bike accident made me favour an auto/triptronic. That said having driven stacks of high end autos over the years I would say that the auto boxes on more modern cars are a joy to drive if you can get used to it. I don't suppose most of the manufactures produce most of their race cars with semi auto boxes for no reason. 

But as you so rightly say it's always personal  preference which matters. 

It's Havard btw....:D

Yep Banners, I am willing to give up a small performance increase in favour of more driver involvement and the occasional clutch replacement.  I appreciate as time goes on, it will be more difficult to source a manual which is why I have bought a couple now as long term keepers.

Maybe as my daily I may go down the auto route.  I currently have a Merc C class estate and everyone is gob smacked when they see it has a manual box.  Most think Mercedes don't do a manual box....lol.

H.

Lmao Harvard, manual is getting rare these days. I'm an old man now and knackered so my manual days are gone. I save my gear changes for my Ducati when I take her out. 

Deciding between PDK and manual is like asking what the best chocolate is; everyone has their own favourite flavour!  A PDK box and a Sport Design steering wheel are, in my opinion, the epitome of an automatic/semi-auto Porsche.

There's purists that would say a manual is better and I'd agree from a purity perspective.  I drive a manual on occasion and loathe changing gear.  I miss it but also dislike it - quite the strange feeling...  I was hesitant about getting a PDK box at first but I'd never go back to a manual now.  The paddles, the relentless acceleration between shifts, left foot braking!  It all comes together in a well-rounded package that I doubt a manual would top other than driver engagement. 

There's also the pro that a PDK won't over rev - it'll shift automatically if you push it too high. 

• Founder

I have both, and I have to say the PDK/DCT (call it what you will) are fantastic and I’m now pretty much a nailed on convert for my daily driving duties.  

However, my weekend drive needs to be a manual.  The engagement definitely lacks in a PDK and pulling the next gear and down shifting provides no reward.  

Depends on the use of the car and more so on the kind of driver you are.  

• Thanks 1

The purists here forgot the weight advantage of a manual over PDK. 

For my money, manual is Stone Age technology and, if track times are your thing then PDK beats manual even with the weight delta. 

Whist on the subject of PDK, does anyone experience a slight shunt sensation in the drive train when slowing to a halt ?

(I did post this elsewhere but nobody responded)

pod. 

A slight feel of bucking when it comes to slowing right down?  Can you post a video?  Mine does this cold and if I stop immediately after the 'box shifts up (then it has to immediately shift back down).  It won't do it whilst hot though.

20 hours ago, Aaron said:

There's also the pro that a PDK won't over rev - it'll shift automatically if you push it too high. 

... what about when `manually` downshifting ? 

Software won’t allow the downshift unless road speed is correct. You can pull the paddle all you want but if you’re traveling too fast the software will recognise there is a muppet on board. 

2 hours ago, Sidepod said:

Software won’t allow the downshift unless road speed is correct. You can pull the paddle all you want but if you’re traveling too fast the software will recognise there is a muppet on board. 

Thank you, I`ll let my friend `Animal` know ... ;)