Zunsport full grill set

• Founder

I was chatting to @M999PSW about grills at the SS cafe and how the GT4 grills should be available for all models.   

The zunsport are about as good as after-market grills get and do a great job of protecting the delicate bits, if only they looked as good as the Porsche standard items on the GT4... 

8 hours ago, Beanoir said:

I was chatting to @M999PSW about grills at the SS cafe and how the GT4 grills should be available for all models.   

The zunsport are about as good as after-market grills get and do a great job of protecting the delicate bits, if only they looked as good as the Porsche standard items on the GT4... 

Yeah i agree, it is a shame but alas there not and i figured a) it will update the look of the front end a bit, and b) protect the radiators, and finally c) i won't have to be down on my hands and knees trying to clean the radiators out so often.... Besides which the bloody radiators are extorionately priced if OEM. Besides which i found a nice discounts code which got me £40 off the asking price so thank you Google.

I don't like the way Zunsport come out right to the front edge of the openings. If I were considering this I'd experiment, as others have, with cutting suitable mesh to size and trying to fit it further back, almost out of sight, so it does its job but not so visibly.

But I appreciate others may like the stand out look too.

4 hours ago, M999PSW said:

Can you post up a few pictures of them fitted and how easy/hard they were to fit.

Paul

I will mate but I am off on a sea survival course next week so it might take me a while to get them fitted...

im going to have a look at the instructions and have an estimation of how hard they are to do and if it looks a pita to do then I will just pay my local mechanic to do it...

Fitted them to my GTS, can be tricky to get in and sit right, but once in I liked the look plus my rads had some protection now as even after only a 1000 miles they had took quite a few hits 

just take your time fitting them and don't give in, plus use good tape to protect the trim or in my case the painted trim lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 March 2016 at 16:45, markbarry1977 said:

I will mate but I am off on a sea survival course next week so it might take me a while to get them fitted...

im going to have a look at the instructions and have an estimation of how hard they are to do and if it looks a pita to do then I will just pay my local mechanic to do it...

Porsche Cayman S 2006 (Gen 1)

Well I managed to get the two front grills fitted and the two rear ones as well. I haven't fitted the front centre one as I don't have the front centre radiator but I am contemplating fitting it regardless just for aesthetics. 

So here's a quick review just from my iPhone. 

Asthetics:

i personally think hunk that they look very good. I really like the rear two grills, they kind of set the arse end off. 

Fitment rear:

To fit these you literally just bend the whole grill enough to pop them in. About 30 seconds each side. Once I had fitted them

both I gave them both a test pull and found they came out very easily. To rectify this, I took a pair of pliers and bent the retaining tabs out further. This made them a little trickier to get in place, but once secured there not coming out by accident. 

There a a near perfect fit and I don't think these could be improved upon. 

Front side fitment:

Again the quality of the materials is very good. Following the instruction, you simply locate the inner tab in place, bend the grill slightly and took the opposite locating tan in place. You then put one acrew in that screws into the plastic next to the fog light assembly. 

This is for me is where the kit REALLY lets itself down. The guards don't fit flush with the current grill so you can see paintwork between the zunsport grill and the not car grill. This to me looked like a really gut s**t fitment and ruined the look. 

So so being an engineer I set about fixing the problem. 1st, the zunsport grill didn't follow the front of the black plastic intake grill. So with a bit of persuasion and a few test goes I eventually got it bent to follow the intake. Next I found that even along the bottom and the inside edge the zunsport grill wouldn't sit flush. 

To to solve this I ended up buying some small tie wraps and making a hook and with a few bits of swearing I managed to tie wrap the zunsport grill to the intake guide vains. They now sit perfectly flush and look a lot better. 

Overall I  am 95% happy with the front grills. There not a perfect fit and those that come to the club meets will see how I have modified the fitment. Would I recommend them. Yes. Would I fit them as per the instructions. No.

Fitment time

As per the instructions front and tears could be done in 30 mins. 

My my fitment method with tie wraps about 45-60 mins depending on how critical you are and how perfect you want it. 

For or those wanting a video  sorry but it's bloody freezing here and I was on my own so didn't have the time or inclination to do that. If you want help or if you want me to describe something better then let me know I will do my best to help. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markbarry1977 said:

As per the instructions front and tears could be done in 30 mins. 

In view of the issues you had, should that not be "grump and tears"???

Well done for persevering. Quite like the sound of the rears, as my two "slots" show the grotty looking exhaust boxes through them. 

• Like 1

• Founder

Looking good Mark! 

I keeping thinking about these for the front of mine, one day I'll get around to it! 

I like the black fog light mounts too, always toyed with that idea on my Gen1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I too have nothing but praise for these grills. I bought the rear set in chrome,  taking advantage of the CaymanOC discount.  The chrome colour looks really striking against the dark blue bodywork,  and the grills nicely frame the centered exhaust.  They were dead easy to fit - literally a 30 second job with no tools.  

What do you get when you cross Lee Iococca with a vampire?
AUTOEXEC.BAT
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pandalf said:

Remind me how to insert an image please. I have stupidly forgotten. 

Click on "reply" and you'll see a paperclip below left, to the right of which you can attach photos. Or post an image link from a photo hosting site straight into the text area.

• Like 1

Still never found that paper clip. But I was able to grab these from my OneDrive account.

Apologies for dirty car! Obviously a good wash in on the cards for this weekend.

On the question of the grills, I thought about going for the black ones, which are actually more expensive than stainless steel. But I decided the stainless steel would look better against the dark bodywork and frame the exhaust better. I really like the effect. I haven't gone for the front grills yet, which sound a lot more complex to fit. 

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=8829E8799F62D329&id=8829E8799F62D329%2119369&parId=8829E8799F62D329%2114843&o=OneUp

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=8829E8799F62D329&id=8829E8799F62D329%2119370&parId=8829E8799F62D329%2114843&o=OneUp

That is really weird. I have tried Chrome and IE on my Windows laptop, and Chrome on my Android tablet. No paperclip is showing on anything. I will try another browser on the tablet.

OK,  I have accessed the site on three different devices - Windows PC,  Chromebook and Android tablet - and with three different browsers.  Everytime,  there is no paperclip appearing.  In fact,  it does show for a second, but then disappears. 

So the problem must relate to my CaymanOC profile.  When I look at my attachments,  it says I have used about 22MB with a limit of 250KB, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  How do I delete attached images?  It is not obvious from studying the app.  I am thinking that if I can delete these attachments,  maybe then I can attach the new images.

What do you get when you cross Lee Iococca with a vampire?
AUTOEXEC.BAT

....When I look at my attachments,  it says I have used about 22MB with a limit of 250KB, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  How do I delete attached images? ....

I see the paperclip OK.

Deleting attachments: When looking at 'My attachments' I see a delete 'dustbin icon' at the right hand side of each attachment, I didn't notice any reference to the file size though.

Edited by twopointnine
Added quote from the post to which I was submitting my response.