A little confused!

Spinneyman

Hi, I’m trying to decide on my next car and hope the members may be able to help?  I currently have a 987 Boxster S manual and want to upgrade it to a 981caymen or boxster GTS or equivalent S spec.  I also want a manual, but I’ve been surprised at the low volumes of manuals (given most for sale are PDK).  So I have three questions.  Why so few manuals and given they’re supposed to be “the Drivers Car”.  Where is the best place to buy my next car? (Car sites or car clubs?.)   GTS or loaded S spec?

Thanks in anticipation of any help given.

Welcome ... 

Have you driven a 981 PDK ... if not, then suggest that you do. I moved from a manual Cayman R to a Cayman 981 S PDK ... no regrets. I tried a 981 Cayman GTS PDK but the S with the right options was better value.

There will be many opinions on the subject but only your seat of the pants experiences can tell what is right for you.

For sales try rpmtechnik.co.uk  and the Porsche Club GB site ... amongst many ! 

• Administrators

I can understand the desire for a manual - they do exist but you’ll be searching a bit longer.  The PDK was very popular for Porsche from about 2013 onwards because it’s very good, The result being that cars from that era on are mostly PDK cars.  

The GTS from new was potentially a worthwhile purchase, but the value secondhand is debatable if an S with the right options can be found.  Depends how much the GTS bits are worth to you.  

I know the PDK is good but I am still shocked at how few manuals are about. 

Talking to the salesman at Porsche Kendal last week he reckoned that most 991 are PDK but you have more chance of finding a manual Cayman.

I can't get my head around having a drivers car and not having a clutch but I am a dinosaur in that sense. I have a Z4M at home too. I find that the harder a car is to drive, the more satisfying it is to take out for a spin. 

I can understand an auto as a daily howevery due to traffic etc. Weekend blasts are a different matter entirely.

H

I would first drive a PDK car if I were you, don’t dismiss them as being ‘auto, therefore not a drivers car’ - then dismiss it if you don’t like it.  

If you’re then settled on a manual S/GTS I would recommended speaking to one of the independent dealers (RPM etc) and ask them to source a car to your spec.  

16 hours ago, Spinneyman said:

Hi, I’m trying to decide on my next car and hope the members may be able to help?  I currently have a 987 Boxster S manual and want to upgrade it to a 981caymen or boxster GTS or equivalent S spec.  I also want a manual, but I’ve been surprised at the low volumes of manuals (given most for sale are PDK).  So I have three questions.  Why so few manuals and given they’re supposed to be “the Drivers Car”.  Where is the best place to buy my next car? (Car sites or car clubs?.)   GTS or loaded S spec?

Thanks in anticipation of any help given.

31 Manual Cayman`s ... https://www.porscheclubgb.com/car-sales/buy-a-porsche/listing/?j=1&ModelGroup=Cayman (981)&MinMileage=0&MaxMileage=999999&kw=manual

11 hours ago, Havard said:

I can't get my head around having a drivers car and not having a clutch but I am a dinosaur in that sense. I have a Z4M at home too. I find that the harder a car is to drive, the more satisfying it is to take out for a spin. 

I'm not sure "harder" is the right word? More challenging perhaps? But do challenges add enjoyment or get in the way of it? I can use my PDK as an excellent manual but having one less thing to worry about, and two hands on the wheel, really does help especially when the PDK knows exactly what you want 99% of the time.

20 hours ago, DJMC said:

I'm not sure "harder" is the right word? More challenging perhaps? But do challenges add enjoyment or get in the way of it? I can use my PDK as an excellent manual but having one less thing to worry about, and two hands on the wheel, really does help especially when the PDK knows exactly what you want 99% of the time.

I had a tiptronic Supra for 4 years and couldn't "get on" with it.  I always seemed to be wondering what gear I was in as a came to a bend and with a manual I seem to instinctively know.  As you say Mr DJMC, one less thing to worry about.  

If I had a PDK, I would just have it in "auto" all the time.  I was same with the Missus' Audi A4 tip a few years ago too.

H.

I think there is a chasm of difference between the old tiptronic slush boxes (auto transmission with a manual override) compared with PDK, DCT (twin clutch proper gearboxes) to be honest.  The latter being a proper gearbox just with an automatically controlled clutch, when in manual mode is very much a drivers tool IMO. 

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this thread is still live, but if so my thanks for all the advice/links.  It took a while, but I have finally found and bought my Boxster replacement.  It’s a Cayman GTS Carmine Red and I finally choose PDK.  Only driven it a little as our weather is uncharateristicly winter stuff in Spring (snow and ice!).  But absolutely love it.  The shape just grows and grows on me.  I am still getting used to the PDK and no doubt over time it will become intuitive (I hope).

The other new phase of my life is I’ve decided to look after it along the lines of detailing.  Never realised there was so much difference in hand washing and detailing.

Thanks again for the help recieved here.

I’d post a picture, but my ipad seems to overload the site?

11 hours ago, Spinneyman said:

I have finally found and bought my Boxster replacement.  It’s a Cayman GTS Carmine Red and I finally choose PDK.

A good choice.

For normal road driving in my 987.2 S PDK I've found that I prefer to use Sport mode but leave PASM off.

I am constantly amazed at the PDK - how does it know how i want to drive from moment to moment - it just knows! They should call it ESP!