Radio off?

MJ

I recently had my cayman (CR) serviced at an OPC. When I got the car back I noticed the radio off with a message on the dash saying Radio off to confirm it!  I didn't think much of it and tucked the car away for most of the month as the weather was pretty awful. However I am unable to turn the radio back on. Tried the proper holding down button and every other button on the system to no avail. Phoned the OPC and they didn't have a clue why it wouldn't turn back on and said I would have to run it back up there for a diagnostic check.

Is there any kind of standby system that shuts the pcm/radio down after prolonged dis-use? If so, how do I kick start it back on?

Battery seems fine, I keep it trickle charged, but guess it could have been in the car a few years.  I will check the fuses out, just seems odd that its off since the service at the OPC.

Where do they hide the radio fuse in the CR?

Just wondering if the battery was disconnected for any reason and maybe you now need to enter a security code. I have had this with other cars and in fact to remedy radio faults I  have disconnected the battery myself and then put in the security code and this clears faults such as CDs that won't load etc.

SimonP

Edited by SimonP

3 hours ago, MJ said:

Where do they hide the radio fuse in the CR?

Not identified in ... http://howtoporsche.com/cayman/987c-2005-2013/2005-to-2013-cayman-987c-fuses-box-diagram-location-amperages-list/ ... maybe combined with something else ?

When mine was not working (at collection from OPC), they told me it was the fuse, I didn`t notice anything else not working though. 

20 hours ago, Mk1 said:

Not identified in ... http://howtoporsche.com/cayman/987c-2005-2013/2005-to-2013-cayman-987c-fuses-box-diagram-location-amperages-list/ ... maybe combined with something else ?

When mine was not working (at collection from OPC), they told me it was the fuse, I didn`t notice anything else not working though. 

interesting you had the same problem on collecting from an OPC !

and just out of spite (and because someone mentioned the battery!) ...guess what?  Flat battery this morning  :(  probably my own fault as I realised I hadn't connected up the trickle charger and I last used the car circa 2 weeks ago...D'oh !

• 2 weeks later...

mine goes flat too after a couple of weeks even with a new battery. I think its the tracker immobiliser. see my fix posted last year. "flat as a witches T*t " might help.

No, my car hadn't really been used much in a month, and though I popped it on a trickle charger on occasion, the last couple of weeks of cold weather without one connected, finished it off. Since I put one on and used the car more its been fine again. C-tex charger shows battery is still good and can hold a charge.

Still no luck with my radio though. I took the fuse out and swapped it for another 10amp fuse but still dead. I will have to take it back to an OPC as it was them that borked it.

Well, just in case anyone else suffers this, I solved it myself at the weekend by simply inserting a cd!  Considering my whole pcm seemed dead since the service and non-responsive to button input or fuse swap out. By chance I noted my speakers were still live when my Bluetooth phone received an email and they pinged. This got me thinking that the unit must be live even if no facia display was appearing. So I thought I'd just try inserting a cd and hey presto the display came alive :Banane21: at first it still would not work via the 'on' button and no volume/sound but I was able to at least select each function. Once I turned the car off and on again, the sound also came back and the normal on/off button worked!

How the heck do they wire this system up to be so strangely synced with the electronics of the car!?  Anyway, happy days, its all working again, no thanks to the OPC.