Pumpkin Double Din Head Unit

Hi, 

Has anyone fitted a Pumpkin 7 inch Double Din Android 7.1 Universal Car Stereo/Radio/Audio to a Cayman?

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/android-car-dvd-player/pumpkin-7-inch-double-din-android-7-1-universal-car-stereo-radio-audio.html?___SID=U

If you have, what fitting kit did you use.

I have the CDR24 non Bose that I am looking to replace.

Thanks,

Don 

I used this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CT23PO03-Porsche-Boxter-Fitting/dp/B00GY79D0G when I fitted my Pioneer DVD head unit.

Never heard of the Pumpkin unit though (I bought a "made in China" single DIN DVD head unit for my old SLK Merc & it was PANTS...Just sayin')

Mavrik, thanks for the input. Had my eye already on the kit you have linked. If I decide to go this route I will post my findings. I really wanted to know if the Pumpkin head unit fitted with this kit or similar...

11 hours ago, hobdayd said:

Mavrik, thanks for the input. Had my eye already on the kit you have linked. If I decide to go this route I will post my findings. I really wanted to know if the Pumpkin head unit fitted with this kit or similar...

I'm no expert but have fitted a fair few head units over the years & imo I reckon that fitting kit would suffice? 

Do you have a black or Anthracite/Grey dash?

I gather you have the bog standard hifi setup? i.e Non Bose with a single speaker in each door (no rear speakers or frunk amp etc?)

My S had the basic sound system with the pony CDR24 H/U & only 2 door speakers... I fitted Pioneer 4" co-axials in the rear strut turret housings & paired with an active Kenwood 150w low profile sub... Looking to swap out the door units for either Hertz or Focal components...

Julian...

Make sure the overall outer dimensions of the HU fit within the opening on the fascia. A lot of Chinese HU's are too big to fit in and require the fascia to be cut and opened up to allow them to fit.

Also as Mavrik mentioned make sure you only have single speakers in the door and not the sound plus package which gives you an amp in the boot that drives bass speaker in the doors. Not to be confused with a Bose system as they are not the same. 

A few weeks ago I did the swap for a Pioneer 290bt unit and I have the Sound plus package so had to rewire the harness that I ordered to fit. My amp in the frunk was dead anyway so I'm currently running it without the bass speakers unit I get an aftermarket amp and splice it into the wiring harness in the frunk.

Both, thanks for the comments. I am traveling at the moment do cannot check what systems in the car. I know it's not Bose. I need to check it's not Sound Plus when I get back.

If you have a 2006 S then it will have Sound Package Plus as standard equipment if it hasn’t got Bose.  Gen1 S didn’t have the base non-amped sound system.  The gen1 2.7 came with the basic sound and then SPP as an option. 

SpannerMan, very helpful. I do have a 2006 S. I am away for a couple of weeks so can't look in the Frunk to see what I have. I am internet shopping while away plotting and scheming what updates to make. Now you have confirmed SPP I will look for a kit for a new head unit. Many thanks. 

On 3/6/2018 at 18:47, SpannerMan said:

If you have a 2006 S then it will have Sound Package Plus as standard equipment if it hasn’t got Bose.  Gen1 S didn’t have the base non-amped sound system.  The gen1 2.7 came with the basic sound and then SPP as an option. 

Hmmm... I have a Gen1 S MY2006... Basic system... No amp in the frunk... No rear speakers & it appears, only one single speaker in each door?

On 3/5/2018 at 13:42, Equinox said:

Make sure the overall outer dimensions of the HU fit within the opening on the fascia. A lot of Chinese HU's are too big to fit in and require the fascia to be cut and opened up to allow them to fit.

Also as Mavrik mentioned make sure you only have single speakers in the door and not the sound plus package which gives you an amp in the boot that drives bass speaker in the doors. Not to be confused with a Bose system as they are not the same. 

A few weeks ago I did the swap for a Pioneer 290bt unit and I have the Sound plus package so had to rewire the harness that I ordered to fit. My amp in the frunk was dead anyway so I'm currently running it without the bass speakers unit I get an aftermarket amp and splice it into the wiring harness in the frunk.

Equinox... I have the Gen1 S with no frunk amp... no rear speakers & it appears, only single speakers in each door.

I too have fitted the Pioneer BT290BT & some rear speakers in the turrets & paired with a Kenwood active underseat sub... Any idea what the size of front door speakers I need to order? (I haven't had chance to whip off the door cards to have a look)

Edited by Mavrik

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

Hmmm... I have a Gen1 S MY2006... Basic system... No amp in the frunk... No rear speakers & it appears, only one single speaker in each door?

Thats unusual, even the Porsche brochure states the Sound Pack Plus was standard fitment in the 2006 S...  

2 hours ago, Mavrik said:

Sounds dodgy mate, all 987.1 S (Cayman and Boxster) came from factory with SP+.  

Should have 2 tweeters and 1 mid in the dash, 2 mids in the doors and 2 in the rear, and 2 woofers in doors

Edited by DKR_77

34 minutes ago, DKR_77 said:

Sounds dodgy mate, all 987.1 S (Cayman and Boxster) came from factory with SP+.  

Should have 2 tweeters and 1 mid in the dash, 2 mids in the doors and 2 in the rear, and 2 woofers in doors

I have the grills for the dash tweeters & centre top dash mid but have no idea if there any speakers in them?!

Defo no amp in the frunk (although there is the mount space for it) & defo no rear speakers ?? 

I'll have to whip off the dash grills & door cards to inspect further :35_thinking:

The rear speakers are between the suspension turret cover and the storage bin on each side.  Be interesting to sup that plastic cover off and see if the wiring harness is there for them or not.  

rear2.jpg

Edited by DKR_77

6 minutes ago, DKR_77 said:

The rear speakers are between the suspension turret cover and the storage bin on each side.  Be interesting to sup that plastic cover off and see if the wiring harness is there for them or not.  

I defo had no rear speakers installed on my S (3.4L Sept 06 reg)

I had to run additional speaker cable from the H/U to the rear & installed 4" co-axial Pioneers in the rear strut turret mount points :35_thinking:

Edited by Mavrik

I've looked on the Planet9 site & several posters have had a similar "basic" setup on the Cayman S ?? :huhsign:

I'm now seriously considering completely re-wiring my headunit & NOT using the pony Porker hifi loom!

I was really surprised in the POOR quality of the hifi setup in my S tbh.

My Bose setup in my Nissan 350z Roadster (standard GT spec) is by far superior...