718 Cayman - GBM

Jonnyb

Hi Jonny. if someone just described to me that they had just bought a glossy  primer grey Porker, I would have cringed, But seeing the pics, it really works, looks classy, nice one.

I had a 718 loan car last week...

20180504_120121.jpg.4b3266723854198cada5fbb3f39c46e7.jpg

What really stood out was the truly awful suspension.  Jiggly ride, crashing in town, constant bobbling on the motorway. I would reject absolutely any car this bad. Reminded me of the equally bad Audi S-Line set up. I recall the 718S I tested had PASM which was OK but set stiffer than on my 981 with PASM.

Mind you, this one's suspension totally distracted me from worrying about the exhaust note. It sounded like any old family saloon, with a bit of vacuum cleaner hum thrown in when I put my foot down. Turbo lag, over-run, gas pedal not connected to the engine - those were some of the other issues.

I have to admit the first thing I said when shown the car was "did they forget to paint it?" Not my cup of tea at all. 

• Sad 1
  • Poo 1

42 minutes ago, DJMC said:

I had a 718 loan car last week...

20180504_120121.jpg.4b3266723854198cada5fbb3f39c46e7.jpg

What really stood out was the truly awful suspension.  Jiggly ride, crashing in town, constant bobbling on the motorway. I would reject absolutely any car this bad. Reminded me of the equally bad Audi S-Line set up. I recall the 718S I tested had PASM which was OK but set stiffer than on my 981 with PASM.

Mind you, this one's suspension totally distracted me from worrying about the exhaust note. It sounded like any old family saloon, with a bit of vacuum cleaner hum thrown in when I put my foot down. Turbo lag, over-run, gas pedal not connected to the engine - those were some of the other issues.

I have to admit the first thing I said when shown the car was "did they forget to paint it?" Not my cup of tea at all. 

Award for slating the new members pride and joy goes to you fella! ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Trickle said:

Award for slating the new members pride and joy goes to you fella! ?

I think you'll find his is a Cayman. If it's anything like the Boxster it shouldn't be allowed. 

11 hours ago, Bushman said:

Hi Jonny. if someone just described to me that they had just bought a glossy  primer grey Porker, I would have cringed, But seeing the pics, it really works, looks classy, nice one.

Thanks. Hadn't seen it in the flesh before but wanted to try something a little different you can't get on other cars but that wasn't too 'showy' as mines a DD and already stands out enough in the work car park. Really pleased with how it looks though

DJMC realise it isn't for everyone but after coming back from my trip to Wales over the last couple of days I don't think there was anything else I'd want to be in. Ride was great, damping superb, body control amazing and the engine note further up the rev range sounds really good to my ears as well as low down torque to slingshot you out of corners. Really pleased with it and is perfect all round car for me. 

Well a Cayman will always ride better than a Boxster and for all I know they may have differing suspension setups. I wonder now if the transit blocks had been removed from the Boxsters springs? It was fresh in, 25 miles on the clock, and the service receptionist had to remove the protective film from the sills while I stood by it. There was a case of this on PH.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a great looking Cayman I really like the colour very nice. Sounds like you are certainly enjoying the new motor.