Clattering when close to stalling

Rich_S

Hi all, the other day I tired to move away in 2nd when I was going a bit too slow and the revs dropped close to stalling and the car made this horrendous clattering sound! So bad that people looked round... Is that normal? (the sound, not people looking round). I've only just got the car and it was my first outing in it (2007 2.7).

Thanks

4 hours ago, Rich_S said:

Hi all, the other day I tired to move away in 2nd when I was going a bit too slow and the revs dropped close to stalling and the car made this horrendous clattering sound! So bad that people looked round... Is that normal? (the sound, not people looking round). I've only just got the car and it was my first outing in it (2007 2.7).

Thanks

Don’t stress it, it’s just the whole drive train springing back after nearly stalling under load. Just try not to do it again.  My BMW with its central driveshaft  used to make a real “dooioioing” noise like a truck if you cocked up and did that. Sounded like a truck!

These engines like pulling with some revs so always best to try and not lug them.  Leave 2nd gear for once you’re up and away.

Mine is the same I quickly learned this lesson. My old Z4 was pretty good in very slow stop start traffic and I did not need to drop out of second very often. The Cayman is the complete opposite found myself needing to drop into first or it sounded awful. 

Thankfully I only had to commute in slow traffic for a couple of weeks after first getting the car before picking up my daily run about.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease with that! I was going over a speed bump and was rolling in second, I stick it into first now when i'm going under 10mph and it's fine. It was my first day with the car and I thought the rods were going to fall out of its arse when that happened lol

• 3 weeks later...