OZ Alleggerita and spacers question

I'm starting to think these might be way cheaper option to the Fuchs and yet achieve unsprung mass reduction and look great... in Silver

Front 8.5j 5x130 53

Rear 10j 5x130 40

Now my question -- currently not 100 percent happy with wheels not being flush with body and thinking spacers

What should I fit spacers wise? All around?

cayman_closeup.jpg

fvd364101840alt_1.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting string (and the usual suspects on it!). I'll hijack and ask (off the back of the post I just made in response to Peopleandcars), re the Fuch style items I'm looking at, fronts are 8.5 front, 10 read (18" wheels)..some of the companies I'm in touch with think spacers are required, others don't.....opinions?

• Founder
4 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

RPM stated 42mm rear

Can you even get spacers that wide...? Sounds dangerous to me anyway.  

My my advice was assuming standard offset wheels, apologies didn’t read the original post properly. 

3 hours ago, Beanoir said:

P.S. If you were not already aware of this website, then it's very useful calculating different dimensions of wheels.  ?

https://www.willtheyfit.com

Amazing, thanks

So according to this and keeping my 18 wheels, changing to the Allegerita will make the fronts 0.2cm closer to the suspension strut and poke out 1cm more, while the rears will be 0.9cm closer to suspensions and poke 1.5cm more

Am I right to assume I should measure the longitudinal distance from the tyre wall to the arch and try to match the gap with the extra poke?

So for example if the gap is currently 2.2cm at the rear, if I get 0.7cm spacers (7mm) + extra poke from the bigger wheel, tyres will sit flush...

• Founder
3 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

@Beanoir sorry to nag wonder if you read my above? Ta

I haven’t input your wheel dimensions into the calculator but your logic is correct yes.  

My advice however would be to see how the wheels look without spacers first, because an extra 15mm at the rear is quite a lot more than your current wheels.  Fronts not so much.  

Bear in mind that aside from aesthetics, even without any spacers you will be extending the rears more than the fronts and so the car will undetsteer more than it does from stock.  

So i kind of answered myself via PH

Do bear in mind that if a car has wider tyres at the back, and the measurement across the outside faces of the wheels is the same front and back (which is often the case purely for packaging reasons), then the track will be narrower at the back, since it's measured from centreline of wheel to centreline of wheel.

Having said which, to answer you question... and sorry, but this is a bit complicated (I'll keep it in layman's terms, though, so apologies to Scuffers and other experts for the generalisations):

* Track affects weight transfer when cornering. Basically the wider the track the less weight will be transferred across the car from one side to another.

* TOTAL weight transfer is a function of the height of centre of gravity, cornering force and average track.

* The wider end of the car transfers a smaller share of this total, though, so in effect, the car 'leans' diagonally onto the end with the narrower track. 

* More load on a tyre generates a higher slip angle, therefore, all other things being equal, wider track at the rear will make a car lean on its outside front tyre and cause understeer, whereas wider track at the front will make it lean on its outside rear tyre, which will cause oversteer.

...so track width is one tool that the chassis engineer can use to manage understeer/oversteer balance.

But there are lots of other tools/factors than can be used (tyre width, weight distribution, different front and rear spring/anti-roll bar stiffnesses to give different roll resistances, etc.), and it's a matter of juggling all these factors (many of which have other side-effects) to give the overall compromise you want.

Most designers strive for slight understeer, therefore if all other factors were equal and perfectly balanced you'd want slightly wider track at the rear. But other factors never are equal and perfactly balanced, so the short answer to whether front or rear track should be wider is 'it depends'!

(edited for crap typing last night after a bottle of wine...)

[footnote]Edited by Sam_68 on Saturday 14th March 08:53[/footnote]

that's not the best/simplest solution - it's going to cause other issues too..

I would suggest running a stiffer ARB would have the desired effect..

SO probably after a stiffer / adjutable ABR too with the wheels....

https://www.hrsuspension.direct/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=1825114521;car=porschecayman

Edited by Peopleandcars

• Founder
9 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

@Beanoir thank you !

What's the relation between extension of wheel from suspension and under/oversteer? 

Yes, so that explanation is perfectly correct and is basically a longer hand explanation of the relationship between wheel track and over/understeer.   Nicely explained actually.  

• Like 1