Plenum issue on 987.1

Hey all, got a 987.1 S and i wanna do the plenum upgrade to an 82mm, ive got the throttle body off a gt3/rs/gt4 etc, and ive found a part number for the plenum from porsche, theyve ordered it in, and my throttle body sits perfectly on the rubber seal but the bolt holes dont line up. So adam at porsche wolvo spoke to porsche germany and got a new part in, both plenums are for a 3.8 gt3, but still same issue, then i noticed part number is the same as previous, other than ipd and sommat else, what are my options?

You need the IPD plenum to retrofit the 82mm TB to the 987 3.4.  The 981 3.4/3.8 are different.

I understand that the X51 is the only "official" upgrade that will fit from Porsche.

Do you have any pics of what exactly you have, meaning parts and the misalignment?  As far as I'm aware, only the X51 intake manifold and plenum has been retrofitted to a 987.1 3.4.

Your unofficial options are IPD for the 987.1 (the later IPD 987.2 is near enough identical to the X51 plenum).

44 minutes ago, extanker said:

yes....get your money back.....and keep it in your pocket or find some thing else to waste it on.......like booze 

I will echo this to some degree.  What's the goal?  Just doing the plenum and throttle body won't net you too much unless your exhaust is free flowing enough (I'm rather uninitiated on 987.1 mods, unfortunately).

Isn't removing the secondary cats considered the best bang for buck on a .1?

• Like 1

I havent purchased yet, but the guy im dealing with worked at porsche shop so he has been dealing with head mechanic and porsche hq. Ive been told the ipd plenum isnt that great hence finding porsche part to do samething. And the goal is eventually up power, but i just like my cars to breath with little obstruction. So i thought id start at the top and work my way down as im struggling to pick an exhaust. And if i want valvetronic or not as car is currently not

Morghen, i think the current one with the smaller throttle body was designed to strangle the engine abit so it cant be as quick as the 911, so all your doing is releasing the potential of the engine and giving it a power increase. But its best done with an exhaust system to truly free flow and see real benefits. Im doing the plenum and throttle body first as i thought i had found a cheaper alternative to the agency and ipd kits

Porsche always did these kind of things with the level entry models, they want to make sure that they sell you the experience but not the performance with the cheaper models. If you want the performance you have to buy the 911.

I'm wondering if the 2.7 would benefit from a bigger TB, intake runners and exhaust from a non restricted 911engine.

• 3 months later...
On 03/12/2018 at 23:53, Adam Boden said:

I havent purchased yet, but the guy im dealing with worked at porsche shop so he has been dealing with head mechanic and porsche hq. Ive been told the ipd plenum isnt that great hence finding porsche part to do samething. And the goal is eventually up power, but i just like my cars to breath with little obstruction. So i thought id start at the top and work my way down as im struggling to pick an exhaust. And if i want valvetronic or not as car is currently not

This is the second time I've read that the IPD maybe isn't all that its cracked up to be. Did you manage to get the problem sorted? I'm looking to do the same to my 987.1

3 minutes ago, Tinners1983 said:

This is the second time I've read that the IPD maybe isn't all that its cracked up to be. Did you manage to get the problem sorted? I'm looking to do the same to my 987.1

Hey, after dealing with porsche who have done alot of research even went to the motorsport team. The plenum that is on the gt3 thats meant to take the 82mm throttle body, they dont fit, its a smaller throttle body. So i ended up leaving it for the time being to sort other things out.

54 minutes ago, Adam Boden said:

Hey, after dealing with porsche who have done alot of research even went to the motorsport team. The plenum that is on the gt3 thats meant to take the 82mm throttle body, they dont fit, its a smaller throttle body. So i ended up leaving it for the time being to sort other things out.

thanks Adam. I'm having to work on suspension first, engine is come later so will have more time to check it out. Let me know if you manage to make it work. :)