Side Lights

Ben

Hi all

Apologies as this may be a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to Cayman ownership and I still can't figure out the side light settings (or lack there of?) on my base 987.1.

I have halogen headlights and presumed that when I turned the headlight switch to the sidelight setting, front and rear sidelights would come on.  However it seems that only the rear number plate light is illuminated.  The manual kind of indicates that this is correct, but what then is the point of this setting?  It looks like there are 2 bulbs in the front fog - should one of those be the side light?  Or is one bulb for the front fog light and the other for the parking light when in Home mode?

As I say, sorry if i'm just being a bit stupid!  Any advice gratefully received. 

Cheers

Ben

That sounds odd to me. For my 987.2 with Bi-Xenon headlights the handbook says: Side light - Number plate light, instrument illumination, daytime running lights switched off.

In practice with the lights switched to ‘side light’ the front led strip sidelights are on, the tail lights are on, the number plate light is on and the instrument illumination is on, the drls are off. Doesn’t make any difference with the ignition on or off.

The likelihood is that the manual is written for the German market and the switch functions differently in the uk.

Edited by twopointnine

Bit strange!

I have a 987.1 3.4S but the lighting switch is the same... The sidelights inc the number plate lamp & dash should illuminate when the switch is turned to the 2nd symbol (after home symbol) :35_thinking:

Do your sidelight bulbs illuminate when your turn the lighting switch to main dip??

Thanks all. Yes the front  side lights (which I'm presuming are in the fogs?) definitely don't illuminate in the sidelight position. Maybe the bulbs have gone. Just wanted to check before i started poking! Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update - so it was indeed both bulbs that had blown - what had thrown me slightly was the manual stating that a warning light would appear on the dash if the side lights were out, which there was not, and I know this function is working as a message appeared when a tail light bulb was blown previously.  Also the manual states the replacement bulbs are w5w, when they are in fact H6, which seems to be strangely expensive bulb for its size at over a fiver each at ECP!  

To my embarrassment, I also discovered how hot the fog light bulbs can get in a very short period of time - as I was testing the lights before refitting, in only a few seconds they were beginning to melt into their plastic cowls!  Luckily no damage done but a lesson learnt!!😃

Yep they definitely are on the list!  I'm enjoying the novelty of just having working sidelights at the moment! ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Yep they definitely are on the list!  I'm enjoying the novelty of just having working sidelights at the moment! ;) 

The difference in lumens between the standard tungsten filament & LED is amazing plus they use less power!

You'll get clean white light instead of the pony yellow hue 😁

A lot of forum members on here have upgraded the bulbs to LED i.e side/fog/dip & mains... I also have LED interior lights... Much better imo...