Big wheels or small wheels

aslan

My Cayman 2.9 has 19" wheels fitted (no PASM). The ride is on the firm side which isn't an issue on smoother roads but it's a bit too much on bumpy B roads.  I'm thinking of switching to 17" wheels which should improve the ride and help it flow down those B roads a bit better.  As the fronts would be narrower it should also improve steering feel.  

Has anyone made this switch? The general feeling of some on Pistonheads is that this improves the feel of the car.  Would appreciate any further thoughts?

I know some people think they need the biggest wheels possible but looks are secondary for me to the way it actually drives.

Ok, so I'll dig into this here open can of worms first shall I ;)

It's a tricky one, because I think it's a 50/50 between ride quality and aesthetic appeal.  I agree that the 19" wheel without PASM on the Cayman can give a hard ride for some people's tastes, stepping down to a 17" though I think (my opinion only) looks too small, there's too muchd tyre and the wheel arches look empty.  You also lose the planted feel, which again I prefer rather than feeling the car dancing up on skinnier wheels, however some like that MX5esque type of handling.  

If it were me I would go with an 18" wheel, which I think is the perfect combo on a non-PASM Cayman, the perfect balance between comfort, handling and aesthetics.  

I realise that doesn't help at all :) 

Edited by 987Monkey

Tyres make a difference too. Toyos on my TTS were firm, GY F1 A2s improved the ride no end.

I too was thinking 18s, but tell us what tyre you're thinking about too?

Edited by Uncle Dave
  • Like 1

Regardless of that, my own impression is that it feels a bit over wheeled on 19's, yes it feels incredibly planted but it is firm but also think the steering would improve with narrower front wheels.  Maybe this a result of having a lotus previously.  Current tyres are N rated continentals.  If I change, I'll be going to Michelin PS2s.

I think I'll find a second hand  set of 17s with tyres to try and see how I get on.  I could then change back if I dont like it.

Edited by Uncle Dave

I went from 19" to 18" on my gen 1 Cayman is was far better in all respects,  I would not go 17"

As always I only fit super sport tyres, but at that time PS2 was the best so had those.

Edited by PorscheGT4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 987.2 with PASM running 19's.  The ride is very firm and quite harsh.  I believe the problem to be the rock hard RE050A tyres which will be coming off asap.  Had loads of cars in the past with other tyres and I always switch to Pilot Super Sports.  They are not only softer riding but more grippy in the wet and dry. 

• Founder
1 hour ago, jmcc42uk said:

I have a 987.2 with PASM running 19's.  The ride is very firm and quite harsh.  I believe the problem to be the rock hard RE050A tyres which will be coming off asap.  Had loads of cars in the past with other tyres and I always switch to Pilot Super Sports.  They are not only softer riding but more grippy in the wet and dry. 

Love my PSS.  

Every car i've had with those bleeding RE050A tyres i've cursed and couldn't change them quick enough, even a fresh set on a brand new Audi they were awful.  

Excellent news...how much difference did you notice when you changed?  (I'm hoping A LOT! )  The Re050a's on mine are nearly new, still terrible though.  I can't understand how anyone can put up with them.  When someone is in the car it's actually embarrasing because the ride it so harsh and noisy !

What were you feelings on the NVH levels with them?  For met they seem to transmit any slight bump in the road through the cabin, you find yourself playing 'dodge the pothole' constantly.

• Founder

Depends how old they are and how worn, they're not great when new but they become terrible after a year or so and when they are half worn, I always felt there was a sudden drop in performance.  Like you say though, feel hard and they are noisy.  

Did my first long drive this weekend, Hampshire to Yorkshire and back and the ride is definitely too firm for me.  Stiff back now! It's fine on decent motorway surfaces but that's it.  17s will go on next weekend.

16 hours ago, jmcc42uk said:

Excellent news...how much difference did you notice when you changed?  (I'm hoping A LOT! )  The Re050a's on mine are nearly new, still terrible though.  I can't understand how anyone can put up with them.  When someone is in the car it's actually embarrasing because the ride it so harsh and noisy !

What were you feelings on the NVH levels with them?  For met they seem to transmit any slight bump in the road through the cabin, you find yourself playing 'dodge the pothole' constantly.

I had them on my E46 330ci (18s) when I bought it. Car kept darting left and right. I thought there must be something terribly wrong!

Switched to Contis and the problem disappeared completely.

You're going 17" then, not 18"?

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to finding out how the 17s change things, both from a ride and steering feel perspective.  Will do a before and after weight test on the wheels with tyres on as well, purely out of interest, I have no idea how less wheel/more tyre compares to more wheel/less rubber, although the 19s are wider as well.

Is the cars geo set up specifically for a wheel size? I wouldn't have thought it makes a difference but I'm no expert.

So had the wheels swapped over today, 19" carrera classic to standard 17 gen 2 Cayman alloys. Took it down one of my favourite B roads nearby after and its definitely an improvment. Ride is still firm in a good way but less harsh. Steering feels better, lighter and I think more feel.  Going to see how I get on over next few weeks before I decide to keep them but initially very happy. They do look noticably smaller, other half isn't too impressed with the look!

I did a before and after weight test, the 17s are 3.5kg lighter each at the front, and 4.5kg lighter at rear. I don't know ins and outs of unsprung weight benefits but can only be a good thing. Both sets had continental tyres although 17s have less tread, so that would reduce the difference slightly.