Standard Door Speakers

anon_uk

The Kappa have a bigger magnet than the ref series but they might just squeeze in by a nats cock with the window wound down.  If not then a 5mm spacer will probably see you right.  

Thanks @Mavrik  I remember, in actual fact you are the reason I have gone for Infinity this time.

Looks like your speakers have a mounting depth of 2-1/4" and my new ones are 2-1/8". So, hopefully I can get away with it!

Don't suppose you found any useful videos on getting the speaker cable through the firewall, and also into the doors? I assume you have an amp in the front powering the speakers? and which amp did you go for?

I am currently thinking of something like this Kenwood amp, tbh the RMS is an odd number at 2 ohms been difficult to find an amp that will do 90w RMS @ 2 ohms

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-kac-ps702ex_p-40192.htm

8 hours ago, anon_uk said:

Thanks @Mavrik  I remember, in actual fact you are the reason I have gone for Infinity this time.

Looks like your speakers have a mounting depth of 2-1/4" and my new ones are 2-1/8". So, hopefully I can get away with it!

Don't suppose you found any useful videos on getting the speaker cable through the firewall, and also into the doors? I assume you have an amp in the front powering the speakers? and which amp did you go for?

I am currently thinking of something like this Kenwood amp, tbh the RMS is an odd number at 2 ohms been difficult to find an amp that will do 90w RMS @ 2 ohms

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-kac-ps702ex_p-40192.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I gather, as @SpannerMan suggests, the Kappa series have larger magnets as they are a step above my Reference series...

I had the bog standard system & head unit (so no amp in the frunk)... I fitted a Pioneer DVD etc head unit which has a standard 50wx4 RMS but I fitted a 150w Kenwood active under seat sub behind the pass seat (decent enough unless you want to be heard from 600yrds away!)

I also fitted a Pioneer reversing camera.

I also fitted Pioneer 3 way co-axials in the rear suspension turret positions (but tbh they are too small to sound good imo) I'm thinking about custom fitting some shallow mount 6.5s in another/spare engine compartment insulator/cover!

I only use 02 free/OFC cabling & routing is fairly simple through the main door grommets

Fitting the component tweeters in the original dash mount was a bit of a pig (you get their patented Star mount though)

Finally you'll need to find a suitable place behind the door card to fit the rather large passive crossover! (you can always mount it remote from the door though somewhere under the dash)

Make sure you refit the door card correctly as water ingress is a common issue after removing the door card!

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, anon_uk said:

Hi guys,

can anybody advise me of the depth for the speakers (standard sound system) in the doors please?

As I have ordered some Infinity Kappa 60.11CS (https://www.infinityspeakers.com/KAPPA+60.11CS.html), but forgot to check the speaker depth first.... school boy error

I’ll be interested in how your speaker change goes @anon_uk, as I might be attempting the same later on in year ( if I can wait that long ).