Bigger Brakes

Hi,

I've recently brought a 987 Gen 1 and have just replaced all pads and disks with Pagid and also replaced the Brake Fluid with High Temp Fluid. I went on a track day at Bedford and still felt the brakes were some what lacking.

Has anyone fitted bigger brakes to their 987 such as the 911 ones?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

16 minutes ago, Diddy-Kong88 said:

Hi,

I've recently brought a 987 Gen 1 and have just replaced all pads and disks with Pagid and also replaced the Brake Fluid with High Temp Fluid. I went on a track day at Bedford and still felt the brakes were some what lacking.

Has anyone fitted bigger brakes to their 987 such as the 911 ones?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------

@Diddy-Kong88

Can you explain what you mean by "lacking"

Did you replace the brake fluid with DOT 5.1? (it's the best!)

What type of Pagid discs/pads did you fit? ... Standard?

I flushed/replaced my brake fluid with DOT 5.1 & fitted DS2500 compound pads all round, paired with new dimpled & grooved Kinetix Performance discs on the front & standard Brembo Cross Drilled on the rear.

I've had zero complaints with this setup @ Brands Indy & GP Circuit... Zero fade etc etc.

Did you ensure you re-bled the braking system AFTER activating the ABS pump by several hard braking attempts? ... Old fluid/air can get trapped in the ABS pump unless its purged...

If you are referring to the "feel" or "pedal travel" then you can upgrade the stock master cylinder with a GT3 ratio setup (I have a brand new one for sale, as it happens 😉)

Regards, Julian.

• Like 1

I went for this kit from Feaky Parks;

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-brakes/products/porsche-boxster-987-front-big-disc-upgrade

Bigger disks and a spacer for the caliper together with some longer bolts.  But same pads size (Carbon Loraine CL5+), I am running braided lines and ATE 200 fluid which works as a good setup for me.  I appreciate you can go more hardcore, but its a fairly cheap extra braking upgrade.  I do a few track days and brakes hold up well.

IMG_0202.JPEG

I tried PF two piece discs on a Cayman race car and they were no better than standard. I now have Giro 2 piece 340mm discs upfront. I've just come back from a European tour including nurburgring, Stelvio Pass, Autobahns and a trackday at Spa. They were faultless. I'd thoroughly recommend them. 

This seems to be a bit of a re-occurring theme on most of the forums I've been on with various performance cars. I've always gone for a good pad/disc/fluid combo and never needed bigger brakes on any car I've ever owned. Unless you are running super sticky tyres with up rated suspension or more power etc you shouldn't need to do any major work to your brakes. It just seems like a bit of a waste of money to me. 

On my first ever track day I fried my brakes after 3 laps at Oulton Park in my old Z3. This kept happening until I had a lesson. After a bit of instruction I could bang out 20 consecutive reasonably quick laps without a problem.I have no idea what your experience level is but if you are a track day novice a few lessons will make a huge difference. 

Hope this helps, 

Pete