Mortgage

Porker

Right, mortgage paid off last year so now looking for a 987.2. I get the tube to work and live in inner London, makes no logical sense to get one but balls to that. I've done the old man maths and reckon worse of the depreciation has happened for a 2009 car and they then to be low milage cars anyway. SO IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE!

prices seem to be around the £23k min for that age, I'd like a PASM equipped one, seem to be rare. Currently drive an mr2 roadster, cheap and cheerful but good fun and used to have a fiat X1/9. I loved that car, even if it did rust before my very eyes.

i'll be back around October when I've saved the dosh and splurged it on one

ciao....

• Like 1

• Founder
12 hours ago, Porker said:

Right, mortgage paid off last year so now looking for a 987.2. I get the tube to work and live in inner London, makes no logical sense to get one but balls to that. I've done the old man maths and reckon worse of the depreciation has happened for a 2009 car and they then to be low milage cars anyway. SO IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE!

prices seem to be around the £23k min for that age, I'd like a PASM equipped one, seem to be rare. Currently drive an mr2 roadster, cheap and cheerful but good fun and used to have a fiat X1/9. I loved that car, even if it did rust before my very eyes.

i'll be back around October when I've saved the dosh and splurged it on one

ciao....

Good luck with the hunt!  

Im sure you're welcome to stick around until then you know, we won't chase you off for being temporarily Cayman-less :) 

• 4 weeks later...

For what I'm after looks like I need £22-25k. May be a while!  Perhaps the 718 will push a few more 987.2 cars onto the used market and make prices PLUMMET!

On 12 March 2016 at 07:27, Porker said:

For what I'm after looks like I need £22-25k. May be a while!  Perhaps the 718 will push a few more 987.2 cars onto the used market and make prices PLUMMET!

Or... make them increase in value? The availability of flat 6 Caymans is now going to be shrinking don't forget. Should take a while though so your plan may well work. Thing is, I see any current 987.2 owner as being an "enthusiast" and therefore more likely to continue to hang on to their iconic car.

More likely that someone who already changed into a 981 from a 987 will now trade into a 718, so perhaps there's more likelihood of a glut of used 981 cars this year, by those who must have the newest incarnation each time. In time I can see a price plateau for 6 cylinder Caymans. 

2 hours ago, DJMC said:

Or... make them increase in value? The availability of flat 6 Caymans is now going to be shrinking don't forget. Should take a while though so your plan may well work. Thing is, I see any current 987.2 owner as being an "enthusiast" and therefore more likely to continue to hang on to their iconic car.

More likely that someone who already changed into a 981 from a 987 will now trade into a 718, so perhaps there's more likelihood of a glut of used 981 cars this year, by those who must have the newest incarnation each time. In time I can see a price plateau for 6 cylinder Caymans. 

Possibly. I could afford 987.1 in a month or so but really want the newer version. Seems to take an 8-10k leap, presumably the newer engine, bit of power and the lower tax.