Tyre flat spot protectors

Windymiller

Just bought a set of 4 from these guys:

https://www.qualitycarcovers.co.uk/

currently on sale with 15% off - so cost was £170 incl P&P. 

theyre made from a composite of rubber chippings with a grippy backing on the underside so they don’t slip on the garage floor as you drive on to them. 

They’re much better than the cheap plastic fiamma caravan tyre ones that just slide along the floor. 

I think theyre expensive for what they are (recycled rubber bits bonded together in a moulded shape) , but if it saves £800 worth of tyres from flat-spotting over ~4 months of relatively little use through the winter I think they’re worth it. 

Also got my amazon special cosmos car cover on (thanks again @sevenfourate for the recommendation) 👍🏻

153BCA2E-3CE8-48B1-8BFA-8955305A673D.jpeg

A94AA851-EB09-42D1-9087-888A5BCD0308.jpeg

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

Wow expensive, but good if you can afford it, and as you say a fraction of the cost of the tyres.

I'm going to get mine out on a dry day every month and warm it up use the brakes on the driveway as its SORN and then stick it back. That with upping the tyre pressures, I hope will keep the tyres ok.

45 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Wow expensive, but good if you can afford it, and as you say a fraction of the cost of the tyres.

I'm going to get mine out on a dry day every month and warm it up use the brakes on the driveway as its SORN and then stick it back. That with upping the tyre pressures, I hope will keep the tyres ok.

Aye a very good point Rich, I also overinflated all 4 tyres to 45psi whilst winter ‘cocooned’ - will obviously adjust back down before driving anywhere. 👍🏻

VERY swish set of roundness consolidators right there. And like most things Porsche - reassuringly expensive 🤣

I can't believe this is actually a thing though in all seriousness. Maybe i've lead a shaded and sheltered life ?

A quick Google and some info from Continental and other manufacturers soon came up. Suggesting that even maintaining normal tyre pressures, or over inflating by as little as 3psi will assure nothing worse than some non-permanent flat-spotting 'might' occur during reasonably 'prolonged' storage.  ***The high likelyhood of anything remotely permanent / non-reversable happening, only coming from storage in very cold temps with well under-inflated tyres / very long periods of time.

I've been storing various cars during winter (4-5 months solid) for some years, and have done nothing to tyre pressures / raising the car off the ground etc with any; other than maintaining standard pressures. And to be fair i've not even checked that with most if i'm 100% honest  And none have suffered so far that i've ever noticed. Possible i'm sure that some had some non-permanent flatting that was irradicated during the first (Inevitably gentle) first drive of the year.

Not knocking in any way. Maybe my in-depth knowledge isn't great enough; and coupled with some extreme luck over the years - i've somehow escaped scot-free so far......

Cover looks swell. Glad you're happy with it. Flippin bargain i reckon !!

Health to enjoy whatever. Well: or not as the case may be if winter storage is the aim for a wee while 😎

Cheers - Syer.

Couldn't agree more with Syer about the flat spot protector. 

I also have been winter storing cars, never done anything different, just drove the car in and left it stand. 

Seems like a poor way to spend £170.

In my last job we used to store race cars for years sometimes without damaging the tyres. 

However it's your cash and your car so what do I know 🤔😁

• 8 months later...