Praise the Lord.... the flat-6 is back in the Cayman GTS

Windymiller

I know right.....

This is all over: and the hot topic on every Porsche forum / Facebook group I’m on.

To be fair: who ever had a poster of a 4 cylinder Porsche ‘Supercar’ on their wall as a kid.....

Potentially controversial, but (if I had £65k) I think I’d wait for the PDK to come out 😵 - and I love my manual 987.....😍

But having played with both a 718 cayman GTS (4-pot turbo) and 992 both with PDKs at the PEC I can see the appeal both on track, and in ‘daily’ traffic. 

I think I’d miss the manual shifting when it came to some engaging twisties in the highlands or an alpine passes type trip 🤔

(now steps back as touch paper lit...) 🤪

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Potentially controversial, but (if I had £65k) I think I’d wait for the PDK to come out 😵 - and I love my manual 987.....😍

But having played with both a 718 cayman GTS (4-pot turbo) and 992 both with PDKs at the PEC I can see the appeal both on track, and in ‘daily’ traffic. 

I think I’d miss the manual shifting when it came to some engaging twisties in the highlands or an alpine passes type trip 🤔

(now steps back as touch paper lit...) 🤪

Might be lit - but i see no smoke yet...... 🙂 

I hear you !

PDK is amazing imo. **I've driven an R35 GTR far more than a PDK box.....but same affair effectively. 

If you're a driver who adores involvement, sensations, tactility etc - there's nothing more involving than a perfect manual shift. And never ever will be. None of this auto rev-matching, millisecond gear changes etc - the onus of all that tech; being geared toward sheer performance - versus perhaps truly savouring the experience a little more.

I too see myself as a manual man. But if i was dropping 65 big ones on a bang-up-to-date model i'd truly need a few days in each to decide. Still favouring manual in my head. But that's perhaps likely more due to my age (Set in my ways !) and what i've grown-up with and driven with for 30+ years. Us old dogs are like our gearboxes: Slow to change.... 😎