987 prices

Ben

When I first started looking at buying a 987 Cayman 2 or 3 years back, they seemed to start at around the £10K mark, for a leggy early model.  They seemed to then drop a bit to maybe £8.5K, but looking on autotrader/pistonheads recently there doesn't seem to anything available at any less than £9.5K .  I wonder if the Cayman has bottomed out around the £10K mark, so would make a 'good' investment at that price (depreciation wise, not running costs!).  Any thoughts?    

Might be a bit seasonal also, may be more for sale as Spring kicks off into Summer. They aren't a convertible, but still probably are a seasonal purchase, maybe for a road trips or track days? Hence they seem to have many owners, as they seem to get changed every 2 or 3 years in there early life.

Only issue with the bottom end of the market is that you need to be even more careful what you buy, as you might end up with something that costs more to repair than its worth, with Porsche parts prices being so high.

Sorry to be gloomy but seeing cars as 'investments' is a path that has led many to tears. 

Buy what you like. Drive it. Maintain it well. Expect it to halve in value every three years. If after a period of time then it hasn't lost as much as this then well done. 

• Like 1

Yes maybe the term 'investment' wasn't the best choice of words!  I suppose I was just wondering if others also thought that the Cayman had bottomed out, based on historical values.   

Only cars like E types have been investments, or early 911s. Although the 981 Cayman GT4 holds its value at almost list price if it has low mileage and good condition.

Also what is happening in 2035 with ICE new car sales ending, might have an impact.

• 2 weeks later...