New springs install on 987.1 ; what else to do at the same time?

Hi all

Sitting at home courtesy of CO19 Work From Home edicts.....I should just pop out for a sneaky drive in the CS instead 😁

Off the back of a few strings on the topic, I've done for the Eibach Pro Kit, and will have it installed when the car is in for its annual service.

Question;

• What other gubbins should I do at the same time re general maintenance? 
  • Any particular brands to watch out for/avoid re said widgets?

And while I'm typing, might as well relay my experiences at PEC Silverstone last weekend...I always grab one of their "60 mins in your car, 30 mins in one of theirs" deals on the various handling tracks etc out there. The CS always acquits itself well, though mid engine can be a bit harder to induce oversteer in compare to a 911....said 911 being a 992 Carrera with PDK. Now, I love my Gen 1, but the Carrera was EPIC....PDK is an absolute giggle blasting around the small PEC circuit (you might hit low 70's in the CS on the small straight...in the Carrera it's low 80's), auto blip and it sounded great. As with all 911s you can feel the rear "doing stuff" in each corner, whereas the CS just lasers in and out. Upside of the Carrera was how any waggle was easily controlled, and the weight in the read meant you could launch out of a turn with gusto. For the road, I'm glad I've a manual box, but I can see why people who track a lot swear by their PDK. Anyway a good day out (though did get an email from them 2 days later saying one of the staff has CO19 symptoms, they didn't think there was any risk of trf to those attending on the day, but just wanted to let us know!)

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig, when I changed the front springs with genuine Porsche items on my gen 1 at around 73k miles due to one snapping, I also did the top mounts, top mount bearings, bump stops and lower control arms (coffin arms).

I also did the coolant pipes as these require dropping the front subframe which requires a geometry alignment, as the suspension work obviously does. 

And when you do the alignment, I recommend maxing front negative camber with zero toe.  Or a smidgen of toe out to really sweeten up the turn in at the expense of a slight loss of straight line stability and some inner edge tyre wear.

Edited by Woodhouse
Update

13 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

Hi Craig, when I changed the front springs with genuine Porsche items on my gen 1 at around 73k miles due to one snapping, I also did the top mounts, top mount bearings, bump stops and lower control arms (coffin arms).

I also did the coolant pipes as these require dropping the front subframe which requires a geometry alignment, as the suspension work obviously does. 

And when you do the alignment, I recommend maxing front negative camber with zero toe.  Or a smidgen of toe out to really sweeten up the turn in at the expense of a slight loss of straight line stability and some inner edge tyre wear.

##Excellent response and intel as always Woody!

• Like 1

Concur with Woodhouse. Top mounts are knackered after 10 years, they squeak as they wear, also bump stops will be breaking up.

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Re coffin arms - I’ve used the MEYLE brand on the rear of my CS - they are high quality product (not cheap Chinese after market copy) and the Centre bushes in the are actually a firmer ‘shore’ rating than the original Porsche item so will stand up well to your spirited use 😉

hope you don’t catch the zombie plague 🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️😱😷

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Hi Craig,

Re coffin arms - I’ve used the MEYLE brand on the rear of my CS - they are high quality product (not cheap Chinese after market copy) and the Centre bushes in the are actually a firmer ‘shore’ rating than the original Porsche item so will stand up well to your spirited use 😉

hope you don’t catch the zombie plague 🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️😱😷

##Cheers Windy, good to know! Just been out to the shop for some essentials, the roads are sooooo quiet and dry.....v tempting!