My sightly convoluted Cayman journey

jonnyboy

Beanoir was querying my current state of play with the Caymans as I've had a bit of a journey to get where I am with this!

So it starts last year I've had a good couple of years in my business (used sportscars sales - boooo!) I've bought and so Caymans before and always loved the chassis/noise and the fact they are a bit more useable than my other specialty the Lotus based cars. 

I looked round and had seen the Cayman R was quite a striking looking thing but the middle of last year they looked a bit expensove to me. In steps bubblesNW from the Pistonheads Porsche forums and I bought his superb 987 S. This car was essentially an R with PASM is the short way to describe it but its got buckets/spyders/LSD/PCCBs etc it was a great car:

55d2e8efc54f8.thumb.jpg.08315a1f804d2e85

Being in the trade I listed it for sale and it sold fairly quickly. I was sad to see it go but I thought no problem I'll get the R that I was looking at originally. I had been talking for a long time to Sarnie another of the old guys from the Pistonheads forum and managed to buy his PDK R which was another great spec car with the buckets/Chrono/Nav basically a unicorn spec R. 

DSC_0107.thumb.JPG.7639fd84958f4747f58dc

This is where it gets a bit interesting! I love the R its a great car but for me its a bit too stiff for the roads round here. If I lived in Scotland with some more flat open surfaces I think it would be awesome but I found that the settings which for reference are somewhere in between the two PASM settings just didnt work for me. The car was listed for sale and again sod in fairly short order. Its due to go to its new home on Saturday as it happens. 

I was back in the my 2003 Nissan Primastar van again :( but hey spring is round the corner and I have a mountain bike...

BUT the other day I got the calI knew I would get one day but hadnt expected it so soon. The guy I sold the unicorn S to calls and he is looking to sell the car! I had to have it back and have actualy paid more for it the second time round! What an idiot! But what a car its perfect for me and cant wait to get it back. Its getting dropped off in Thursday and this time I aint listing it for sale its staying well put!

• Like 1

• Founder

Brilliant!  

I wondered if you'd bought Sarnie's CR or not, shame it wasn't quite the car for you, to be honest if I was wanting a daily driver i'd be looking at a 981 GTS with PDK rather the CR.  

At least you've had the chance to properly compare the two cars though, and lucky to get your old S back too, it's a rare beast that! 

It's Karma!!

So, would you say the main reason you prefer the S to the R is its PASM? As I've just said elsewhere (as under), it would now be my No.1 option if speccing a new car.

34 minutes ago, PhilCS said:

Nice, I think I saw a PH thread a while ago with this car on it, at least it looked very similar...don't see many with PCCB!  

Guess it was "Bubbles" car? His search and find mission in brief, in order...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=23&t=1096953&mid=456031

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=23&t=1103523&mid=456031

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=23&t=1138541&mid=456031

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=23&t=1462590&r=30768651&hm=153021&mid=153021#30768651

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=23&t=1515204&r=31379635&hm=153021&mid=153021#31379635

;)

Edited by DJMC

3 minutes ago, Trickle said:

Do we really need threads from PH being pasted here???  

I found it interesting to read the previous owner's thoughts about buying the 987, and his realisation of his dream car, similar to jonnyboy's journey.

In that sense I think they add interest to the thread. However, if the OP objects I'll remove them.

Have you had bad experiences with PH?

Its not so much anything to do with PH, but i'd not be happy if people were digging around the internet for history of my new car and displaying for everybody to see on here.

Up to Jonny though, it might not bother him. 

1 hour ago, Trickle said:

Its not so much anything to do with PH, but i'd not be happy if people were digging around the internet for history of my new car and displaying for everybody to see on here.

Up to Jonny though, it might not bother him. 

Fair point, but that's the nature of the world wide web nowadays, nothing much stays private.

Might be something in the threads Jonny doesn't know anyhow? I couldn't see anything detrimental. All looks good.

Oh yeah I'm not fussed the internet is a small place and the cars got great history. It was indeed Bubbles' car I've been in touch with him since and have told him the good news about getting it back. 

I think in all honesty there are two key things that made me prefer this particular car. The PCCBs seem to improve turn in so I always felt the steering was better. The PASM I find better although its softer in normal mode you can feel the undulations of the road a lot better. The R was in a way so good it actually filters a bit too much out. The R is still a great car and if you try and find one in the spec of the one I had its very tough and I think they represent a very canny buy these days as a long term man maths investment. No doubting the desirability factor which will only increase when the GT4s really start to go up properly. 

On 26/02/2016 at 11:37, DJMC said:

It's Karma!!

So, would you say the main reason you prefer the S to the R is its PASM? As I've just said elsewhere (as under), it would now be my No.1 option if speccing a new car.

While I'm a big fan of PASM on the 981, others have said that on the  987 Sport is too stiff for anywhere but the track.   Stiffer than the R?  If so it's going to appeal more to those who are going to track the car quite a lot.

The 987 PASM is softer than the regular damping on soft and harder than the R on hard. IMO it makes it a better all round car. 

I'm delighted to confirm that as of today the unicorn 987 is back in my possession :D

Lots of plans for this year already. I have a skid an day booked in April, Isle of Man in June and Nurburgring in July. This time it aint getting sold! 

• 8 months later...

Hi Jonnyboy

You may rember me, you may not want to!!!????

I bought a very nice white S from you last year.  It was a very well specked car. I am over the moon with it.

You took in my Caterham 7, remember?  

its good for me to see your enthusiasm for all things Cayman. Even better to have bought my car from a dealer that is genuine and genuinely interested in the product he sales. 

Cheers

Steve 

(Way down south from Devon!)