Exhaust needed for 987 S

N/s box on my 2006 Cayman S exhaust has blown, now looking for a replacement Stainless system. 
any recommendations from the Cayman massive. Looking for advice on which one I should be looking at. 

All depends on your budget tbh.

A lot of folk rave about the Carnewel GT modded stock exhaust.

Liang Fei (Taiwan) manufacture the big majority of aftermarket  SS systems & company's just rebrand them!

Top Gear, Design Tec, Soul etc are just rebranded Liang Fei exhausts 😉

Other in-house manufacturers like Fabspeed or Remus are big bucks.

How deep are your pockets? 🤔

I'm toying with idea of ditching the rear boxes & getting a custom setup made using resonators instead of rear boxes 😉

Believe car has a modified Carnewal exhaust from a previous owner from 2016.

tempted by Stainless system but don’t want to shell out loads. Have seen them from £299 (eBay). £649 ( top gear ) and £1200 ( Miltech)

want something sporty, but not droning. 
anybody had any experience of the above listed systems. 

Hi @SpeedsterAl

Think I can help here. I had a Topgear exhaust and it was a pile of s**t. Really bad quality, very load drone and way too loud for track days. The brackets broke twice and the exhaust cracked, customer service was a joke too. 

Now I have the Miltek and it's brilliant. Very well built, good customer service and absolutely zero drone. My only negative is it's actually too quiet for my liking, but then again I no longer get black flagged so can't really complain. 

Hope this helps. 

I have Carnewal GT back boxes and have since added Topgear 200cel manifolds. I have to say I was blown away by the quality. The welding is bang on and they were a great fit. My local race engineer was quite staggered that a pair cost a grand...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edmundo2 said:

I have Carnewal GT back boxes and have since added Topgear 200cel manifolds. I have to say I was blown away by the quality. The welding is bang on and they were a great fit. My local race engineer was quite staggered that a pair cost a grand...

PS. I can't vouch for Topgear back boxes , my comment was just ref the manifolds..

On 18/08/2020 at 22:55, Edmundo2 said:

Do you mind me asking how much you spent on labour for your manifold/ how many hours of labour it took? I heard these jobs can be a nightmare (8-16 hours) 

also did you add the manifold after the gt exhaust and was it much louder? I know a GT exhaust by itself is up around 100db on stock manifold I’d be interested to know if the 200 cel cats make it much louder. Also do you have issues with legit MOT’s on emissions?

Hi. The manifolds went on after the GT back boxes, ( which were already on the car when I bought it ). 

The noise afterwards was definitely louder but not wildly so. No drone but generally just more howl under load. It's still pretty civilised with Windows up at cruising speeds...

The thing I noticed most was just a freer feeling with the car seemingly happier/easier to rev up and possibly less engine braking when coming of the throttle. Not sure if there's a good explanation for that or whether I'm imagining it but that's what I detected when first driving it..

I fitted the manifolds myself but got lucky in.removing them as I think the old stock items had been off in the past so I didn't suffer snapped studs which is pretty common and a nightmare to sort..That said Hartrch or similar have jigs ready to tackle the job if go to them..

The car went through genuine MOT ok however I added lambda extensions since fitting to avoid it throwing CELs which it did a couple of times at first....

Points of note. Topgear parts seemed great quality, don't use their supply gaskets buy OEM, use titanium or stainless studs if poss rather than bolts, ( or otherwise stainless bolts ), if bolts look at cap head options as anything with too much flange can foul the outside of the outer pipes, try lambda extensions post cat.

Hope that helps...

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Hi Ed,

Appreciate the response, the drone is definitely what i want to avoid!  i noticed a significant performance difference when i moved from the OEM to the Carnewal GT system (saying that my exhaust was blowing quite badly).

I have temptations to upgrade the manifold to 200cel but the last thing i want is drone on motorway journeys as i often use my car for commuting.

Which type of extensions did you purchase? i know there are quite a few options? Some with L bends, others straight and some curved - i presume they all work as well as each others but always good to get a reference knowing you've got the same car / setup as i'll have.

Did you have any issues getting them out? or was it a straight in and out job? I've not looked under the car to see how much leverage you need on the bolt if its a tricky one to get out.

Did you have any issues getting the Lambda's out? I spoke to my Porsche Tech and he said the last time he fitted extenders to a Porsche he ended up having to replace both the post cats with new sensors because they ended up getting threaded when coming out.

Cheers

Sandeep

Hi Sandra.

I'm not sure what the extensions are. I took the old manifolds off and fitted the new 200cel ones which was fine, ( day to lucky as they'd been off before). I then ran the car and had a tick from s manifold gasket + an engine light on. Reports suggested I needed OEM gaskets + lambda extensions.

To be honest, having fitted everything seemingly perfectly I simply couldn't be arsed taking them all back off to refit bits so plumped for local indi, ( Strasse ), to sort as it should be a lot quicker and easier..

They advised extensions both pre and post cat however I've since been advised by others I poss only need post cat...

Getting the lambda removed from stock was a pain and v easy to round them. Best option turned out to be PB blaster, a bit of heat and a well fitted full ring spanner

PS. The ring spanner was actually a split ring spanner with hex sides which I think is designed for plumbing..Re hours it was prob a couple of hours per side however it would be a very different story if you snap some manifold bolts...

extensions are essentially foulers/ foolers so they trick the lambda sensor to read more correct data similar to that which fully working Cats would provide.

Stainless-Steel-Lambda-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Extender-Spacer-for-Decat-Hydrogen-M18x1-5-Lambda-O2-Extender.jpg_q50.jpg

apologies for the high res picture...

maybe its easier to have the CEL's mapped out if the Lambda's are tricky buggers to get out. The last thing i'd want to do is spend 2-3 hours of labour and 2 x £80 lambda sensors just to turn of a CEL.

cheers 

"Sandra" 😉

Edited by SarlechS