Fantasy Cayman Build

I’ve been wondering, can I pick up a cheap Gen1 Cayman S and spend an unlimited budget on making it the best fast road tool possible.  Question is, what’s on the wish list of mods if money was no object...?

The obvious big question is: if you have an unlimited budget, why go for a Gen 1?

I bought an '06 Cayman S a couple of months back and have been softly looking into "unlimited budget upgrades" with the aim of producing a "fast road car/occasional track tool". My wishlist began:

• Oversized engine rebuild ~£10,000
    • higher displacement with improved bores/pistons & uprated connecting rods/bearings
    • 20-30bhp gain
  • Bilstein PASM B6/B8's ~£1,500
  • 19" wheels
  • Intake/filter/exhaust upgrades to match the engine rebuild

You don't have to venture past point 1 above to see the price approaching prohibitive. The power upgrade with an oversized rebuild is nice, but not earth-shattering. The main reason to rebuild is so my 14 year old engine lasts as long as I want it to. If I didn't already own the car in a spec I really love, the obvious way forward would be to instead buy a Gen 2 Cayman: it is likely to live longer, it already produces roughly the power of an oversized Gen1 rebuild, and can be upgraded in many of the same ways.

However, if your heart is set on a Gen 1 for some reason, other upgrades I'm considering are:

• Oversized brakes
    • Though keeping an eye on PSCB retrofit if money really was no object...
  • LSD

Hopefully that gives you some food for thought.

I've been thinking about this very subject..Because my car has quite a few nice bits on it that I'm unlikely to get the value back on it could make sense for me to buy a standard car with a blown engine, swap the upgraded parts from mine over and sell my current car with stock bits on it. Then build the ultimate spec. 

I'm no expert but from what ive read the following could be good..

3.9 Hartech conversion

Stainless 200cel headers + cat back

Poss lightweight flywheel?

X51 intake

Wavetrac lsd

KW v3/nitrons/ohlins etc 

Adjustable lower arms/sus bits..

Top braces

GT3 short shift

Big brake kit, ( stop tech? ), / braided lines etch.. 

GT3 mc

Middle rad

Baffled bigger sump

Lightweight forged wheels, ( 19's ? or BBS e88 ) Michelin PS4

GT4 Buckets

996 gt3 splitter

981 steering wheel

Poss 997 alu doors

Poss half cage

Apple car play/speaker upgrade

Lightweight battery

Weight save where doesn't remove too much from from cockpit

Retrim in choice leather/alcantara 

Respray poss in Crayon or Aventurine with OEM decals.. 

Some may agree or disagree with elements.. Obviously not cheap and you'd be better off buying a GT3 or GT4 etc but would be nice to build..

On 27/08/2020 at 23:27, Edmundo2 said:

I've been thinking about this very subject..Because my car has quite a few nice bits on it that I'm unlikely to get the value back on it could make sense for me to buy a standard car with a blown engine, swap the upgraded parts from mine over and sell my current car with stock bits on it. Then build the ultimate spec. 

I'm no expert but from what ive read the following could be good..

3.9 Hartech conversion

Stainless 200cel headers + cat back

Poss lightweight flywheel?

X51 intake

Wavetrac lsd

KW v3/nitrons/ohlins etc 

Adjustable lower arms/sus bits..

Top braces

GT3 short shift

Big brake kit, ( stop tech? ), / braided lines etch.. 

GT3 mc

Middle rad

Baffled bigger sump

Lightweight forged wheels, ( 19's ? or BBS e88 ) Michelin PS4

GT4 Buckets

996 gt3 splitter

981 steering wheel

Poss 997 alu doors

Poss half cage

Apple car play/speaker upgrade

Lightweight battery

Weight save where doesn't remove too much from from cockpit

Retrim in choice leather/alcantara 

Respray poss in Crayon or Aventurine with OEM decals.. 

Some may agree or disagree with elements.. Obviously not cheap and you'd be better off buying a GT3 or GT4 etc but would be nice to build..

You probably could get yourself close to a 981 GT4 or in a 718 GTS 4.0 for how much all of that would eventually cost (don't forget to factor in labour, even if it's your own).  I'm all for the right mods but such a car already exists so there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

You probably could get yourself close to a 981 GT4 or in a 718 GTS 4.0 for how much all of that would eventually cost (don't forget to factor in labour, even if it's your own).  I'm all for the right mods but such a car already exists so there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Yes as I said you could buy a GT4...