Knock knock...

- Knock knock

- Who's there? 

- My front nearside suspension when manoeuvring at low speed...

So I have pretty much had the front end of my 06 Cayman S rebuilt. 

Spec is:

• Eibach LCAs
  • New subframe (I had a crack in mine... fun times!)
  • New stock Porsche suspension top mounts
  • New PASM shocks
  • New drop links

The only thing I've not changed are the springs. The car is on 115k miles, so I guess I might have an issue with these. Basically, at slow speed, on almost full right lock, there is a knocking noise from my front nearside. Any ideas what may be the issue, before I give a garage more of my money 😊

Edited by Jon Panayi

It's definitely a knocking noise? It could be the Ackerman effect on your tyres - on full lock, the inner edge of your tyre is rotating at a different speed to the outer edge as they have different distances to travel. The inner tread blocks have to "skip" in order to keep up, which you'll feel as feedback through the steering and also hear. More noticeable on tyres with worn treads as blocks on new tyres with deeper treads are able to stretch instead of skipping. Also only noticeable at low speeds.

Cheers,

Bryan

3 hours ago, briggy said:

It's definitely a knocking noise? It could be the Ackerman effect on your tyres - on full lock, the inner edge of your tyre is rotating at a different speed to the outer edge as they have different distances to travel. The inner tread blocks have to "skip" in order to keep up, which you'll feel as feedback through the steering and also hear. More noticeable on tyres with worn treads as blocks on new tyres with deeper treads are able to stretch instead of skipping. Also only noticeable at low speeds.

Cheers,

Bryan

That's interesting, never heard of that.  My girlfriend's 911 and previously her Cayman, both 19 plates direct from OPC on new tyres, 'knock' and appear to be catching something at low speed on full lock, is this the effect that you describe?  I found it hard to comprehend how a new designed premium car could be in production with such a fault and also couldn't see any evidence of marking on the tyres.

• Founder
1 hour ago, TritonII said:

That's interesting, never heard of that.  My girlfriend's 911 and previously her Cayman, both 19 plates direct from OPC on new tyres, 'knock' and appear to be catching something at low speed on full lock, is this the effect that you describe?  I found it hard to comprehend how a new designed premium car could be in production with such a fault and also couldn't see any evidence of marking on the tyres.

if it is as described above, yes the ‘akerman’ effect can be a thing and it’s generally only noticeable at very slow speed, manoeuvring and reversing.  It’s generally a thing that affects Porsches more often because there is no weight over the front wheels so they will skip.   

If it’s a one of ‘click’ or ‘clunk’ then that’s probably not akerman related. 

28 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

if it is as described above, yes the ‘akerman’ effect can be a thing and it’s generally only noticeable at very slow speed, manoeuvring and reversing.  It’s generally a thing that affects Porsches more often because there is no weight over the front wheels so they will skip.   

If it’s a one of ‘click’ or ‘clunk’ then that’s probably not akerman related. 

Thanks Nick @Beanoir™, it's definitely not a one off click and most pronounced on full lock when reversing.  I used to trial off road land rovers and those fitted with over-wide knobbly off road tyres would catch the treads on the radius arms when on full lock, it sounds like that, hence why I was bemused how it could be on a modern Porsche.  The effect you describes would explain the noise and judder felt through the car without there being a design fault.

It's not really in the design of the car itself. The wider the tyres, the more pronounced it is. I've had it on other non-Porsche cars too.

Cheers,

Bryan

Sorry, I forgot to say that the coffin arms are new Eibach adjustable jobbies. I also have new suspension top mounts. 

My gut feeling is, either something needs a little tighten or else the ARB bushes need looking at?

• Founder

Try spraying some grease in and around the ARB bushes.  If it stops the noise you'll know the bushes need seeing to.  That said, they're cheap and very easy to replace anyway.