New 981 GTS Owner

Stutopia

• Founder

Hi Stu, welcome to the OC!  Lovely looking GTS, a sweetspot I think for the Cayman.  

I can't really see where the oil leak is coming from there, didi the OPC not advice what needed replacing to fix it?  If the camber is out by 1degree on one side then you will notice the difference after you have that re-aligned, thats quite a bit.  

@Windymiller is the forum expert on failed PSE valves, I'm sure he'll offer some advice!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Hi Stu, welcome to the OC!  Lovely looking GTS, a sweetspot I think for the Cayman.  

I can't really see where the oil leak is coming from there, didi the OPC not advice what needed replacing to fix it?  If the camber is out by 1degree on one side then you will notice the difference after you have that re-aligned, thats quite a bit.  

@Windymiller is the forum expert on failed PSE valves, I'm sure he'll offer some advice!  

Thank you, I'm very pleased with the purchase. Well, I was until I started looking at the GT4, GT3RS and 992s in stock at the dealer 🤣

In answer to your question, yes. The OPC sent me the image this morning, after initial inspection, to ask if I wanted it investigated. Which is when posted, since then they have advised it is coming from the timing tensioner seal, which is now being replaced. Leaking oil is always a heart in mouth moment, so I'm quite pleased it's nothing too serious. It's been a very friendly and efficient service so far, I can't complain. Glad to have nipped it in the bud, didn't spot any stains on the drive, so can't have been there long.

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Welcome to the COC Stu - lovely looking 981 GTS 🤩👍🏻

Re your PSE stuck in open (noisy). 

Take a read of my thread here on similar woes on mine. Don’t worry - it is relatively cheap and ‘easy’ to fix. Do not let OPC tell you that you need complete new rear silencers at £3k each!!! 😲

happy to talk you through fault finding if you want to DM me a mobile number for a call. Or just ask questions in the PSE thread.  👍🏻

These cars are wonderful machines, but be prepared for the labour of loves that they can obsessively become... 🤪

Thanks for the link, I will read it thoroughly, it appears from the video that the OPC sent that the valves themselves are the culprit (though I understand that seized valves would also mask vacuum issues). I'll do some simple penetrating fluid and wiggling to start with (zero cost). I must admit I did chuckle when they floated £3k for replacement, particularly as it is stuck in the KICK ASS NOISE position, which is fine with me (though I'd like to work for cold starts, for the neighbours sake).