Painting front splitters

mc5

I had a quote of £340 to paint the front splitters. Thought it was a bit high. They want to blend the paint on the bumper is this necessary

I just paid £600 to have front and rear bumpers painted (off the car), with the splitters disassembled off the front bumper so they could be painted separately. 

That was with me doing the removal and refit of the bumpers myself, and I completely stripped the bumpers of all trim, lights, looms etc. before giving to the paint shop. 

Edited by Windymiller

2 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

I just paid £600 to have front and rear bumpers painted (off the car), with the splitters disassembled off the front bumper so they could be painted separately. 

That was with me doing the removal and refit of the bumpers myself, and I completely stripped the bumpers of all trim, lights, looms etc. before giving to the paint shop. 

I'm just looking to have the splitters colour coded as mine is a non s. So i take it there shouldnt be a need to blend in the bumper from what youre saying

2 hours ago, mc5 said:

I'm just looking to have the splitters colour coded as mine is a non s. So i take it there shouldnt be a need to blend in the bumper from what youre saying

If your pint shop can do a spectrometer colour match from your existing bumper paintwork (rather than just use the paint code) then I think the splitters are such a small part, with so little visible, and it’s all very low down with no big single expanse of panel / colour that I’d think the should get a close enough match that to most there’d be an imperceptible difference in any shading - but I’m no expert. 

I would say though, the spectrometer colour match my paint shop achieved to the main body work is completely spot on to my eye - they did no ‘blowing in’ of the bumpers to the adjacent wings / panels / bonnet. 

id suggest you buy a bag of these to replace the ‘plastic rivets’ you’ll need to remove to be able to get the splitters off - these are exactly the same as the OE ones from Porsche (but a lot cheaper 😉👍🏻):

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/6mm-push-pin-plastic-rivet-fasteners-fiat-5962559/

To remove - Push the centre up through the rivet, then (using a flat bladed screwdriver or preferably some sort of plastic ‘blade’) prise out the rivet by levering down on its ‘head’ from underneath. 

once you’ve removed the rivets the splitters just need some wiggling, gentle force and pull down (assuming you’re doing this with the bumper still on the car) until it comes free. There’s about 4-5 tabs that clip the splitter onto bumper, but I don’t recall them being any kind of ‘force’ fit. 

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

I'm no expert either but they are quoting for a proper pro job... Not necessary imo to blend in with the bumper as its a relatively small part & its low down.

Also depends if they are quoting for 2k paint or water based crap!

I have an S but on the pre '07 the front splitters were not colour coded (mine are silver on a Lapis Blue)

I'll be colour coding mine myself with 2k activator rattle cans... Prep is the key to a decent finish imo.

What colour is your coachwork i.e paint code?

Edited by Mavrik