Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

11 hours ago, 24057 said:

That was criminally cheap even back then tbh. 987.2 Caymans have gone up in price, but not by that much. I’d say the average asking price is only up about £3k from last year 

Yes, it was a silver manual S. His photos weren't great. I think he'd bought a Lotus. 

I wouldn't buy in this market if you don't have to, the prices are too high for all cars.

These Cayman's are old cars, so after buying you usually end up repairing and replacing stuff, mine needed a service, I replaced a few damaged parts, I think the first year I spent £1k getting it right for me. If you pay over the odds for one, are you going to be able to sort the niggles or afford to?

I guess if you are part exchanging the part ex price should be higher, so the price to change should be similar as pre COVID.

Some of the used prices make a new Cayman on a PCP attractive, except it's a 2.0 litre I guess!

At least with a new one you know exactly what it will cost you upfront for 2 or 3 years.

16 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

I wouldn't buy in this market if you don't have to, the prices are too high for all cars.

These Cayman's are old cars, so after buying you usually end up repairing and replacing stuff, mine needed a service, I replaced a few damaged parts, I think the first year I spent £1k getting it right for me. If you pay over the odds for one, are you going to be able to sort the niggles or afford to?

I guess if you are part exchanging the part ex price should be higher, so the price to change should be similar as pre COVID.

Some of the used prices make a new Cayman on a PCP attractive, except it's a 2.0 litre I guess!

At least with a new one you know exactly what it will cost you upfront for 2 or 3 years.

Yep, you're right Rich. I should hold off and see where prices go, but they better go down though! Just means I miss out this summer driving one, which is a shame. But need to keep the 'sensible head' on.

17 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Agree. Especially ones paying well over the odds for low mileage decade old cars like they are 'near new' cars or something. I guess that's fine if you also want to store it away and not actually drive it (mind you, I think financially they've going to regret it as we've got a sea change decade coming up)

Check out the prices in some of the 987 Spyders on AutoTrader currently...

2 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Yep, you're right Rich. I should hold off and see where prices go, but they better go down though! Just means I miss out this summer driving one, which is a shame. But need to keep the 'sensible head' on.

I'm already sensing the market slowing slightly ...only slightly 

28 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

I'm pretty sure I know where prices will be this winter...it's a seasonal thing. 

3 hours ago, Stumac62 said:

Have you stopped looking then? Weren't you going to see a few this week or have you cancelled plans to get one this year now then?

I have noticed a slight slowing on the market too as Andy mentions.... but many reports suggest prices will continue to rise through 2022, so 2023 before any normality. But then again, what will normality look like after this?... if prices bombed then people would simply not sell their cars and take big hits, so supply/demand will keep prices going upwards. These cars are pretty thin on the ground at the best of time, good ones that is. I highly doubt used Cayman priced will ever return to pre-covid pricing. 

There might be blips along the upwards curve, but I predict the curve will continue upwards....to a point though, like with 944T's and 930's, it gets to a certain threshold and then plateaus. 

1 hour ago, Andyoz said:

Optimistic... eg.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106023356749?atmobcid=soc3

The numbers for sale seem to be growing too.

That does seem optimistic compared to the comparable specced ones through dealers which you'd like to think give a warranty thrown in. Normally the other way round and dealers are more expensive than private ads. 

that white R @£39k we spoke on the other thread hasn't sold which is surprising. In fact this past week I haven't seen any come and go as it had been.  It is slowing for sure, just not convinced there will be a crash in prices...but lets see! 

52 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

That does seem optimistic compared to the comparable specced ones through dealers which you'd like to think give a warranty thrown in. Normally the other way round and dealers are more expensive than private ads. 

that white R @£39k we spoke on the other thread hasn't sold which is surprising. In fact this past week I haven't seen any come and go as it had been.  It is slowing for sure, just not convinced there will be a crash in prices...but lets see! 

The number of 987 Spyders and R's for sale now compared to two months ago tells a story IMO.

4 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Have you stopped looking then? Weren't you going to see a few this week or have you cancelled plans to get one this year now then?

I have noticed a slight slowing on the market too as Andy mentions.... but many reports suggest prices will continue to rise through 2022, so 2023 before any normality. But then again, what will normality look like after this?... if prices bombed then people would simply not sell their cars and take big hits, so supply/demand will keep prices going upwards. These cars are pretty thin on the ground at the best of time, good ones that is. I highly doubt used Cayman priced will ever return to pre-covid pricing. 

There might be blips along the upwards curve, but I predict the curve will continue upwards....to a point though, like with 944T's and 930's, it gets to a certain threshold and then plateaus. 

Hi Julian. No not stopped looking just yet. Looked at two down in Billingshurst last week. 

4 hours ago, Andyoz said:

The number of 987 Spyders and R's for sale now compared to two months ago tells a story IMO.

R wise what it tells me is manual is still the preferred option.

Of the 4 manuals for sale, three were only listed this week just gone and one is an optimistic price (of which that dealer had another at the price band and did sell).

I am not switched on with the Spyders, but from my analysis and continued daily checks, the manual R market is as hot as ever, if not hotter.

2 hours ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi Julian. No not stopped looking just yet. Looked at two down in Billingshurst last week. 

No joy with them? Are they ones listed? 

2 hours ago, Julian987 said:

No joy with them? Are they ones listed? 

Yep both on Autotrader. Aqua blue and a Meteor grey. Both nice cars, just not sure I want to buy a car with 60k+ mileage (but don't want to start up that debate again lol). 

6 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Yep both on Autotrader. Aqua blue and a Meteor grey. Both nice cars, just not sure I want to buy a car with 60k+ mileage (but don't want to start up that debate again lol). 

What’s wrong with my 80k miles eh Stu? LOL.

25 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

I tell ya, that Black Edition is the best S you will find. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106244213426?

That is the top of the 987S range, any higher and you are in R land.

I'd say it is better specced than the Black Edition an Official Porsche Dealer had up at £45K which sold. Admittedly half the miles but was lower spec. 

By virtue of that limited edition model itself, that is as good a PDK S can ever get.

Edited by Julian987

There's a manual 2010 on the Porsche For Sale, UK Facebook group this morning; looks like it has the full history, Chrono, LSD, short shift, 47k miles for £26k. It will be interesting to see how quickly it goes as a gauge of the current market.

8 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

What’s wrong with my 80k miles eh Stu? LOL.

Hi Matt. So sorry! I don't mean any disrespect to you or anyone with a 60k+ car. Honest! Just my irrational thinking that I need it to 'feel' new. No logic to it at all really.

Edited by Stumac62

This on has been for sale for ages now. Originally it looked overpriced at £42k but as prices have drifted up over the last 6 months, it now looks a more reasonable prospect. But still unsold. A bit odd, but then most of the Caymans on PH have been around for a few weeks now.