When you discover that your perfect Cayman doesn't exist :(

Although I've been in the market for a Gen 2, I've acquired a real soft spot for the CS Sport. I know that they are generally seen as overpriced Gen 1s but I don't want a modified car and I've always wanted that Cayman S script on the side of my future purchase to the point that, given the choice, I'd go for the Sport over a Gen 2 in the right colour. That right colour is/was yellow (yeah, I realise how rare they are in any model) so I obviously wasn't holding my breath. I had the thought of asking the vehicle statistics office for a colour breakdown of the CS Sports and they confirmed that there are no yellow Sports in the UK. With my long shot bubble now well and truly burst, I'm left with the following on the shortlist:

Gen 2 CS in yellow

CS Sport in green, orange or maybe white

Manual Black Edition (had a deposit on one that didn't come out of an inspection too well).

If anyone sees any of the above for sale, please give me a shout! It's ok, I am prepared to be patient :)

22 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

Although I've been in the market for a Gen 2, I've acquired a real soft spot for the CS Sport. I know that they are generally seen as overpriced Gen 1s but I don't want a modified car and I've always wanted that Cayman S script on the side of my future purchase to the point that, given the choice, I'd go for the Sport over a Gen 2 in the right colour. That right colour is/was yellow (yeah, I realise how rare they are in any model) so I obviously wasn't holding my breath. I had the thought of asking the vehicle statistics office for a colour breakdown of the CS Sports and they confirmed that there are no yellow Sports in the UK. With my long shot bubble now well and truly burst, I'm left with the following on the shortlist:

Gen 2 CS in yellow

Manual Black Edition (had a deposit on one that didn't come out of an inspection too well).

If anyone sees any of the above for sale, please give me a shout! It's ok, I am prepared to be patient :)

Did they even come in yellow??

I remember this one selling in march year... https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2009-porsche-987-cayman-s-sport-1

1 minute ago, Andyoz said:

Did they even come in yellow??

I remember this one selling in march year... https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2009-porsche-987-cayman-s-sport-1

There's a Facebook group that has set out to document every example that they can. I think they have three or four yellow examples worldwide, one of those is a right hand drive tiptronic that was for sale earlier in the year in Singapore:

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=993949&DL=2904&fbclid=IwAR2R6HuCE6Iu6-ZEIV08gjypH2xKm6S_9sw_JGZRrYsQYadxU8g5Pfh4gEg

Orange and white are the most common colours in the UK, each with 18 examples left on the road.

I would wait it out. Two oranges came and went a few months back. The ones Andy linked to and there was another for sale at the same time, was different cars, not same ad.

I remember a green one for sale around Autumn last year.

They will come up again. I’d wait it out, otherwise Sod’s law, you’ll by something else and ‘then’ an orange or green one will reveal itself for sale.

43 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I would wait it out. Two oranges came and went a few months back. The ones Andy linked to and there was another for sale at the same time, was different cars, not same ad.

I remember a green one for sale around Autumn last year.

They will come up again. I’d wait it out, otherwise Sod’s law, you’ll by something else and ‘then’ an orange or green one will reveal itself for sale.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I think a Sport is more likely than both a yellow G2 or a manual Black Edition. I'm not even sure I've ever seen a yellow G2 (although at least I know they exist).

Edited by Ginginho
typo

9 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I think a Sport is more likely than both a yellow G2 or a manual Black Edition. I'm not even sure I've ever seen a yellow G2 (although at least I know they exist).

Yes, it seems the world went all austerity not only financially but also sports car color choice hence so many black, silver, white gen 2's.

• Sad 1

Funnily enough, I just noticed the one in Singapore hit the market again today; owner not keen on tiptronic!

Edited by Ginginho

45 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

I have seen a few manual Black Editions of late, certainly in the past few months. I think one was bought by a forum member here, not as rare as the Sport I feel....or was that the one you mention that didn't do well on inspection. Recall the pics of one of them was in a mansion house garden.

A yellow Gen2 is very rare. There was a yellow Gen 1 not long ago, think it was Gen 1.....got me thinking I dont think I have ever seen a yellow G2. 

3 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I have seen a few manual Black Editions of late, certainly in the past few months. I think one was bought by a forum member here, not as rare as the Sport I feel....or was that the one you mention that didn't do well on inspection. Recall the pics of one of them was in a mansion house garden.

There are around 50 of both Sport and Black Editions although the vast majority of BEs are PDK. That's even before we get to the spec and service history!

12 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Yeah, I've seen that one and you are right. Take those pics in the sun and headline with a three-quarters shot of the front/ side. Even then it's well overpriced IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2021 at 19:48, Ginginho said:

With my long shot bubble now well and truly burst, I'm left with the following on the shortlist:

Gen 2 CS in yellow

Not the colour you seek but I notice this CS Sport is coming up for sale ..

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2009-porsche-987-cayman-s-sport-2

8 hours ago, Julian987 said:

That looks like a nice one but yes, the only Sport that I would consider would be green, orange or white.

I'm not sure that I would ever buy from Collecting Cars; you can't really get a PPI for a car that you may not end up highest bidder on and your budget is reduced by 5% to account for the fees.

It will be interesting to see what it fetches, however. The last one was pulled two days before completion with only one bid at £16k if I remember rightly. From the strongly priced cars that are still on the market, it feels like prices have peaked.

Edited by Ginginho
typo

15 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Anyone know what wheels are on that one? The Sport Design wheels were standard on the Sport.

24 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

Anyone know what wheels are on that one? The Sport Design wheels were standard on the Sport.

I believe those are the 997 Turbo wheels (997.1, diamond cut).

Edited by wtaite01
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2021 at 07:48, Ginginho said:

That looks like a nice one but yes, the only Sport that I would consider would be green, orange or white.

I'm not sure that I would ever buy from Collecting Cars; you can't really get a PPI for a car that you may not end up highest bidder on and your budget is reduced by 5% to account for the fees.

It will be interesting to see what it fetches, however. The last one was pulled two days before completion with only one bid at £16k if I remember rightly. From the strongly priced cars that are still on the market, it feels like prices have peaked.

Sold for £21K 

6 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Sold for £21K 

I expected £22k which, when you add the all-important selling fee, at least confirmed that my estimations are in the right place! I think it's a fair price given the low mileage and decent history offset against the need for paint correction, wheel refurb, likely a new set of tyres and a question over the wheels not being the standard Sport Design rims.

It initially didn't reach it's reserve and the buying price was only £250 more than the maximum bid so I wondered if Collecting Cars had increased the bid, which they can do if it means that the vehicle sells and they still make money.

On 14/08/2021 at 06:58, Ginginho said:

I expected £22k which, when you add the all-important selling fee, at least confirmed that my estimations are in the right place! I think it's a fair price given the low mileage and decent history offset against the need for paint correction, wheel refurb, likely a new set of tyres and a question over the wheels not being the standard Sport Design rims.

It initially didn't reach it's reserve and the buying price was only £250 more than the maximum bid so I wondered if Collecting Cars had increased the bid, which they can do if it means that the vehicle sells and they still make money.

Here it is! .... this has got your name on it.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2009-porsche-987-cayman-s-sport-3

Good luck and I hope you win the auction. 

• Thanks 1

This is both good and bad news in equal measures. I like that a lot but Collecting Cars sucks for buyers IMO; for me, any Gen 1 needs a bore scope. Not to mention the 6% fee that sellers do not typically appreciate comes from the buyer's maximum bid! I know that the last couple of Sports on CC haven't initially made their reserve and this is why! That said, I'm keen to see the details when it hits the site proper.