Thoughts: 987s Design edition or 987.2s

Shuey Chow

So I’m considering my next car at mo.

Currently in a z4 coupe 3.0 which I absolutely love.

But want to get something that’s a bit rarer or more powerful and better driving experience.

Whats everyone’s thoughts on 987 design edition vs 987.2s?

What’s more likely to hold their value long term 3 years+ assuming car is maintained immaculately?

Which would you go for if the price for each was the same, and condition was in the 90th percentile, and why?

Lastly does the 987 design edition still have issues with the IMS?

Be great to hear people’s thoughts

FYI, other cars I was considering (All manuals)

M2 (OG) (but over priced at current market in my opinion)

M4 F82 (OG) (hard to find manual)

Z4M Coupe (highest tax bracket)

Audi R8 V8 (to be honest - the running costs eliminate this from my shortlist)

Budget at very most 30k but ideally want to spend 27k ish.

2 hours ago, Shuey Chow said:

Whats everyone’s thoughts on 987 design edition vs 987.2s?

What’s more likely to hold their value long term 3 years+ assuming car is maintained immaculately?

Which would you go for if the price for each was the same, and condition was in the 90th percentile, and why?

Lastly does the 987 design edition still have issues with the IMS?

Depending upon the kind of G2 you are looking at, those cars will be in totally different ball parks; I've never seen a Design Edition for more than £20k. I should add that I probably haven't seen one since the prices spiked but I'd be surprised if a DE was valued above the low twenties.

In terms of which to choose, you really need to see some. At £30k, the Black Edition is well within scope and that would be my preference if I was after a black 987 Cayman. Note that there are only eight manual BEs in the country.

The Design Edition is late enough to generally be at less risk of IMS bearing failure but, as a Gen 1, would also have been a model at risk of bore score.

Id probably also consider a 981 2.7 manual. 

Some nice examples do scrape under 30k and that's a lot of car for the money

Watch the evo magazine test on the 2.7 manual, it's on YouTube or their site.   It laps blyton against a 235i for comparison. 

Edited by Neil_jdmr

18 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

Depending upon the kind of G2 you are looking at, those cars will be in totally different ball parks; I've never seen a Design Edition for more than £20k. I should add that I probably haven't seen one since the prices spiked but I'd be surprised if a DE was valued above the low twenties.

In terms of which to choose, you really need to see some. At £30k, the Black Edition is well within scope and that would be my preference if I was after a black 987 Cayman. Note that there are only eight manual BEs in the country.

The Design Edition is late enough to generally be at less risk of IMS bearing failure but, as a Gen 1, would also have been a model at risk of bore score.

Yeh Gen 1 DE is a low mileage one going for £30k. Only 24k on the clock. The Gen 2 is on 40k going for 28k. Yeh didn’t consider the bore scoring thing.

Definately prefer the gen 2 from a mechanical perspective. But like the idea of something limited edition. Black edition - I think I’ll end up waiting a very long time…

probably between 25-40K miles...depends on options (on top of the baseline spec) as it won't be just down to mileage. 

They do come up, wait it out a few weeks. Then again, at £30K you are only 10% shy of an R.

• Like 1

Lol would love to get an R, but 30k is me stretching to the max - meaning it has be perfect in every way possible. Ideally I’d want to spend 25k-27k.

but if 27k plus means I get something a bit more unique in the black edition… then will be defo stretching a bit further.

im going to be putting miles on whatever I buy, and will be a long term ownership for me - probably 3-5years minimum.

anyway let’s see what comes up - haven’t seen many low mileage gen 2 S’s for sale in Manual so I guess I just gotta be patient

5 hours ago, Shuey Chow said:

Yeh I defo want the 3.4 987.2 over a newer 2.7 981.

Understood, i only wanted the 3.4 also so i get that. 

There has been quite a few black edition 987.2s for sale over this past year all for around your budget.

The problem is the huge increase in used car prices that happened this summer.  I'm sure you will still get one but your gonna have to be quick off the blocks. 

I actually had deposits on two Black Editions! The first a manual that PPI revealed to have a good amount of work heading it's way and the second a PDK that was excellent in every way other than my getting cold feet very late on about PDK. Had agreed prices of £28k and £27k respectively. I didn't really know what I really wanted at those times TBH ; I wanted a 987 CS and the BEs are the best value IMO. Then I viewed and fell in love with the Sport in Pure Orange and had to have one (which is why I say that you need to see some examples in the flesh).

If a BE is the perfect car, I'd wait it out. Of the examples I watched over the summer, they weren't selling instantly but knowing now how many manuals there are in the UK, you'd obviously wasn't to act very quickly to secure one.

I'd never pay £30k for a Design Edition btw; that sounds as overpriced as I've seen in nine months of watching 987 Cayman prices. I say that as a bloke who understands the need to pay a little extra to secure *your* perfect car :)

Edited by Ginginho

Sorry is there an R selling for 30k? Where’s that?

thanks for the comments. Yeh i was kinda in the mindset of avoiding gen 1 completely anyway. But the DE was quite appealing.

anyway I’m not sure now, had another look at a cayman s, and not too sure if it’ll fit my needs from a rear hatch space perspective (occasional small dog for road trips).

however cayman r - if one of them became available at sub 30k… I would potentially jump on it, if mileage is reasonable

1 hour ago, Shuey Chow said:

Sorry is there an R selling for 30k? Where’s that?

thanks for the comments. Yeh i was kinda in the mindset of avoiding gen 1 completely anyway. But the DE was quite appealing.

anyway I’m not sure now, had another look at a cayman s, and not too sure if it’ll fit my needs from a rear hatch space perspective (occasional small dog for road trips).

however cayman r - if one of them became available at sub 30k… I would potentially jump on it, if mileage is reasonable

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107195202050

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107205229549

Yeh I could do with a rear hatch, but to be honest for a cayman R, these sacrifices have to be made.

What’s a reasonable price for a low mileage (20-40k miler) Cayman R Manual?

Is £30k just way below value? Or if I wait would there be something that potentially comes up?

Any manual cayman R owners - would you ever sell? And if so what would be the asking price?