Stereo issues - any advice appreciated!

Hi guys, 

New member - I hope everyone is well!

Cayman is in the OPC at the moment and they have discovered a previous owner has fitted aftermarket speakers which a) do not fit and b) have cut off the connectors/plugs which apparently Porsche no longer produce/stock. Wider issue is that the speakers leave a gap and water ingress into the lower door/door card is happening and leaving the carpeted section dripping wet. 

Always read on forums that the 987 generation stero was pants so assumed the terrible quality was due to this, not actually some budget aftermarket speakers poorly fitted inside the door card. 

Anyone know a way in which I can take the car back to stock in this regard?

Either try to obtain the stock parts (will have to be used if no longer produced) or take your car to a real ICE professional that can fit things correctly.

Alternatively for DIY: Get stock speakers and make some harnesses using quick disconnect crimps.  It's speaker wiring; I wouldn't be fussed about the harness/plugs at all as long as there's adequate cable length.

Hi,

The stock speaker part numbers are here:

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/en/product/porsche-99764554300-mid-tone-speaker/mpn/99764554300

When you say the speaker connectors have been cut off, is the same wire connected to the aftermarket speakers as if so may be as Aaron says create own harnesses or get some connectors off a donor car (one of the eBay boxsters or caymans of same year being broken for parts) and splice back on with scotch clips or similar.

As for the wet carpet (from my experience) would also check the door gaskets too as that was my issue rather than the speakers, believe it’s a common issue, I ended up

using tiger seal to fix it and been fine ever since.

2 hours ago, Acquell said:

Slightly off topic but I would be very cautious about ordering parts from this company (LLL Parts). They claim to be UK based but they are actually shipping parts from Lithuania (the address of their supposed warehouse in the UK is actually a takeaway). I ordered some brake shields from them and they took weeks to arrive after they initially refused to cancel my order (two weeks after ordering) due to it allegedly being dispatched (using a fake tracking number).

Thanks for the heads up, above was mainly for part numbers as fairly easy to search. I’ve got some Audi parts off them before (remedial actions after a trip to a safari park), took a while but had guessed they were coming from Europe and were cheaper than from main dealer so decided to wait.

For my cayman 9apart(Yorkshire?) and europarts (Essex) have been good so far when I’ve needed something, europarts took a few weeks but think it was a factory order from Porsche direct so may explain the wait.

Edited by Acquell

4 hours ago, Acquell said:

For my cayman 9apart(Yorkshire?) and europarts (Essex) have been good so far when I’ve needed something, europarts took a few weeks but think it was a factory order from Porsche direct so may explain the wait.

Do you mean Eurospares? If so I think they're brilliant and a bit of a hidden gem for Porsche parts.

3 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Do you mean Eurospares? If so I think they're brilliant and a bit of a hidden gem for Porsche parts.

Yes, that’s the one, think i was mixing with one of the other part providers that’s like dfs with always a sale on!

they have some impressive cars breaking for spares too

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/cars-breaking-for-spares/