Tidy 987.2 for sale

Ginginho

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

Not many consider it all-important but definitely a nice to have. We're definitely getting into subjective opinions though 😁

Yes sorry,  that certainly was subjective. 

Is a lovely car though

13 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

The fact that he goes on about it being a one owner car in the video (and the ad), but in fact it's had six! Pretty bizarre.

Is that true? 

That certainly is bizarre 😳 

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

What price would you put on a well-specced 2.9? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1571599599839521

The owner was asking for advice. I think he's dropped it from some very strong prices. Not really a follower of the 2.9 market but I'd guess around £21-22k???

well, from AT listings, and something that I have found a bit baffling over the past 6 months, is that low/average mile ones, well specced are going for more than S's. You'll see the highest one at £31K with 15K miles and then around £28k for 30K miles, which is around what that owners car appears to be.

expensive aren't they. If it is well specced then it could be high 20's.

12 hours ago, Julian987 said:

expensive aren't they. If it is well specced then it could be high 20's.

No chance. There were lots of 2.9s priced that high going absolutely nowhere when I was shopping, less so now. High £20s puts it about £10k over pre pandemic for a private car. Prices went up, but not that much. Low 20s tops. £18-19k to get it sold quickly.

11 hours ago, Windymiller said:

I find it crazy how mileage sensitive the prices are on 987s - they’re 10-13 years old now for goodness sake, and not ‘ultra-rare’ / GT cars. They’re going to have been driven at some point in their decade + lives… 🙄

and they ain’t made outta chocolate - they won’t break if you use them (and care for them) 🤷‍♂️

The problem is that even someone who isn't worried about the mileage in mechanical terms has to be realistic about the market value. The market doesn't like miles, so if you pay top dollar for a higher mile car, you're locking in a loss at resale because more miles definitely hits the market value whether it makes sense or not. And most people aren't planning to buy and keep for decades.

The other problem is that these cars aren't driven that much as they age and so they're generally not very milely. There aren't a lot of gen 2 987s, but the ones that do exist generally don't have big miles. So, if you're going to buy one with miles, you'd want it at a discount.

I put miles on all of mine and I expect and indeed experience depreciation as a consequence. IMO, totally unrealistic to expect anything else.

And they do, as a matter of fact, wear out. It's hard to say how long the engine and box will last before needing a rebuild. Probably in the region of 150k to 250k depending on a range of factors. So a car on 100k may be fairly close to a major spend, or it may still have 150k left in it. Given there's no real way to judge, the value of the lower mile car is that you can be fairly sure it's nowhere near that kind outlay.

I think the market can be silly when it puts huge value on uber low mile cars that in practice can't be driven because all the value is tied up in the low mileage. But personally, I'd happily pay a lot more for an 40k 987.2 than an 80k 987.2. Which isn't to say that the 80k car is a bad buy. It just has to be priced right. If it's priced like a 40k car, forget it.

The bottom line is that more miles reduces the market value. Price the car right and it will sell.

10 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

No chance. There were lots of 2.9s priced that high going absolutely nowhere when I was shopping, less so now. High £20s puts it about £10k over pre pandemic for a private car. Prices went up, but not that much. Low 20s tops. £18-19k to get it sold quickly.

I hear you but there are 12 2.9's on AT between £25 to £30K, they can't al be wrong. There must be something to their pricing  - therefore its gotta be at least £25k at the mileage of the car in question. 

How many of them are dealer cars? The private cars very much can all be wrong. Anything private priced near a dealer car is wrong.

There are a lot of cheaper cars, too. Are they all wrong? There have been an awful, awful lot of cars not shifting this year. Just because a car is listed at a price doesn't remotely mean the market supports that price.

Car linked above is a case in point. It's been for sale for over six months and started out at ludicrous money above most dealer cars. I saw it come on the market and it was obvious it was going nowhere. Seller apparently asking for advice. Is advice really needed? If it's not selling, especially for this long, it's too far too much money, it's not complicated. I mean, how long do you have to have it sitting on the market for the penny to drop?

Most correctly priced cars will be gone in a couple of weeks. If the seller isn't that bothered about actually selling and the main priority is to get a certain price or not sell, fair enough. If the seller actually wants to sell, it's a bit silly.

Incidentally, the car is listed now at £24k and still not selling. So what in what universe 'it's gotta be £25k', I have no idea. How do you imagine that even makes sense? I'd say you'd be doing really, really well to get someone to pay you £22k privately, and it's more like a £20k car. Pre pandemic, it would have been a £16k car, I saw nicer 2.9s than that sell for about £16k pre pandemic. So that's still a big premium over where prices were.

£25k privately, not in a million years. You'd struggle to get someone to pay that much privately for a better spec 3.4. It's just not that easy to get big money selling these cars privately. The guys on here selling their cars privately are testament to that. High end dealer pricing is another matter.

I tend to agree. If it stands out and isn't overpriced, it will still sell quickly. I don't think that the market is at the point before the spike but we're heading there (~50% if I had to put a figure on it). I think that people are also worried about their potential "investment" losing value. Personally I think that overlooks the value had from having it now and enjoying it over the summer but everyone's situations are different.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:41, jogger321 said:

I realise I posted this one before..but at this rate they will be selling it as a tax exempt classic car at this rate! 🙂

It's got to have been up for sale for at least six months!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202012008480?include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=Porsche&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=Cayman&sort=price-asc&postcode=cv376gp&page=2

Makes you wonder what the ones that sell are actually going for Vs asking price!!

Before I drive 250+ miles to view this one (girlfriend prefers this colour) is there anyone who knows anything about it on here?

All I will say is your girlfriend will be so disappointed with the sound system in these cars, it’s beyond crap! 

She's used to a MK2 focus ST which was so loud the stereo was pointless. So this should be ok. 

I just don't understand why this car in particular is cheap compared to others I've seen 

The way I look at it is that if you buy privately Vs going to a dealer who has an excellent reputation, there is a remote possibility of the engine going pop and needing a complete rebuild..or even just a clutch by the time you have reached the end of the road  in your newly acquired acquisition. The decent dealer will take the attitude "You win some, loose some" and help out getting it sorted...Private purchaser no such come back

Ok very remote however these are not a 1.1 Nova so the potential cost to put right could be in excess of 10K

So taking that risk into account, no matter how nice the car when you are talking of a car in excess of 20K plus i'd expect a large discount for buying privately..probably 4-5K cheaper than a dealer in the case of this vehicle

...By the way its been up for sale in one shape or form for over  year ..They started at 27K

Edited by jogger321

1 hour ago, bongo461 said:

She's used to a MK2 focus ST which was so loud the stereo was pointless. So this should be ok. 

I just don't understand why this car in particular is cheap compared to others I've seen 

I like the colour and the mileage on this..but I dont want a PDK

Out of interest can you elaborate on other Gen2's youve seen and their condition Vs price..Interesting you think this is cheap...

I've seen a.couple near me in Berkshire which are 20-22k

Both gen 2 Cayman manuals. One has 17" wheels and the other has a really low spec. No heated seats etc.

This one has a decent colour, great wheels, good spec and is below 18k 

I thought that was cheap. In comparison 

I posted about this one before and the consensus seemed to be that because its a Vauxhall garage selling it is the reason it has not sold Vs established Porsche garage...

It does seem a bit strange because yes it seems a good price..But its been up for sale for literally months and months on AT..even as a heavily sponsored item at "a great price" ...but still sits languishing unsold

I think I'll take a look one day next week, it is a Vauxhall dealer but they have other decent cars for sale (bmw Porsche etc) if that's the only thing that's putting people off then I can't lose anything by taking a look.

I didn't know if it had a dodgy history or something which is why people were staying away. 

Thank you for the replies.