Tyre repair kit

Just clipped a kerb turning into the local Tesco to fill up. By the time I got parked up most of the air had left the tyre.  The rim doesn't look cracked and I could stop some of the air escaping by putting my finger over the impact point.

Where is the puncture repair goop kept?

I know I have some as I got charged for a replacement as mine was out of date but all the bottles I have are oil and screen cleaner.

3 minutes ago, graham.reeds said:

Just clipped a kerb turning into the local Tesco to fill up. By the time I got parked up most of the air had left the tyre.  The rim doesn't look cracked and I could stop some of the air escaping by putting my finger over the impact point.

Where is the puncture repair goop kept?

I know I have some as I got charged for a replacement as mine was out of date but all the bottles I have are oil and screen cleaner.

It should be in the front boot, behind a flap with two twist locks and it folds down. From memory behind the red folded triangle. HTH.

Edited by futureechos
  • Like 1

Okay.  Filled the tyre with the goop. Rolled the car forwards and backwards.  In addition to where the air came out by the rim. There is about a 10mm split near it in the tyre wall.

To save a call out I decided to proceed connected the supplied air pump and connected it to the outlet in the passenger foot well which normally holds my phone charger.  Turned it on the was a pop and nothing else.  Replaced the phone charger and it didn't light up.  The fuse looked fine but swapped it with another but that didn't make the phone charger light up.  So I don't know what is buggered there.

PXL_20221110_190556728.jpg

16 hours ago, graham.reeds said:

Okay.  Filled the tyre with the goop. Rolled the car forwards and backwards.  In addition to where the air came out by the rim. There is about a 10mm split near it in the tyre wall.

To save a call out I decided to proceed connected the supplied air pump and connected it to the outlet in the passenger foot well which normally holds my phone charger.  Turned it on the was a pop and nothing else.  Replaced the phone charger and it didn't light up.  The fuse looked fine but swapped it with another but that didn't make the phone charger light up.  So I don't know what is buggered there.

PXL_20221110_190556728.jpg

The emergency tyre repair goo etc is only designed to repair a regular puncture sustained by a screw/nail etc in order to get you home or to the nearest garage etc!  NOT after damaging the tyre by impacting a kerb...

That tyre is screwed!

As for the power outlet socket it sounds as though the pump has blown the fuse?

I didn't appreciate how bad it was until the white goo bubbled through the split.

Just got the car up on axle stands and heading off to Porsche to collect the tyres and from there to get them on the rim. 

I have plenty of spare fuses and a tester so I will go through each and check.

The socket in the footwell can't sustain a compressor.  You need to use the socket in the centre console.  The fuse for the passenger footwell will definitely be kaput. 

Whilst it doesn't help with this tyre you could you "Goop" in all your tyres which you put in before a puncture and it seals the hole as you drive without you even noticing. I've used it for years in all my cars and bikes and its been excellent. Amazon is the best place to buy and you'll need 250ml for each wheel. All of that said it would not have saved a sidewall incident such as yours which would always require a new tyre.