Tidy 987's for sale Part 2

• 1 month later...

Trade valuations of 987s have really dropped off of late, as has the whole market, I suppose.

I've been tracking WBAC for some time now, and it's currently quoting around 40% lower than it did at the peak of the pandemic / Ukraine / supply chain induced used car bubble. Obviously WBAC valuations are (usually) much lower than you would expect to get in a private sale, the point isn't the absolute WBAC valuation, but the scale of change.

WBAC valuations reflect what the trade are willing to pay for cars. And that has dropped by about 40% from the peak. Have begun to see some of the better known traders begin to adjust their prices, though as you'd expect, the classifieds still populated by lots of totally unrealistic private ads.

I think real valuations are probably back to pre-pandemic levels, though a fair few sellers have yet to recognise this.

• Like 1

I agree.  Values have dropped across a lot of used cars as the pandemic boom has come to a close.  The cost of living crisis is further squeezing people.

There are uncertain times ahead!

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I agree.  Values have dropped across a lot of used cars as the pandemic boom has come to a close.  The cost of living crisis is further squeezing people.

There are uncertain times ahead!

will be holding out selling mine till the spring but also unclear on what pricing should be at the moment! 

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t believe how quiet this part of the forum has went. I was thinking about posting details of my low mileage 987.2 Cayman S that I was thinking about selling (only to get a 991 911) in the spring just in case anyone was looking for one over the winter but I’m not sure if it is worth while.

On 14/11/2023 at 20:11, Clan said:

I can’t believe how quiet this part of the forum has went. I was thinking about posting details of my low mileage 987.2 Cayman S that I was thinking about selling (only to get a 991 911) in the spring just in case anyone was looking for one over the winter but I’m not sure if it is worth while.

I was active but there hasn't been anyone showing interest to buy and sharing what they are looking for to help them in the search. Furthermore there really hasn't been much of late that worthy. Found anything good?

On 14/11/2023 at 20:11, Clan said:

No harm in pasting details here if you’re advertising somewhere anyway 

I’m also looking to sell up, need a practical car for family.

its a 987.2 S Basalt Black, full history, just shy of 35,000 miles. Will be getting photos and ads up but unsure whether to wait for spring. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jaketame said:

its a 987.2 S Basalt Black, full history, just shy of 35,000 miles. Will be getting photos and ads up but unsure whether to wait for spring. 

Depending on the full spec, coupled with such little notable ones coming on the market then it might work to your advantage for someone who is actively looking.....but it does seem very stagnant out there, nothing seems to be moving across the board. Good luck with the sale.

57 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Evening all

After a month shy of 7 years, my 987 ownership has come to an end.  I'm not going away anytime soon though!  I picked up a crayon 718 GT4 from Ashgood today.  I part exchanged my CR with them so keep an eye out if you're in the market!

Congratulations! Looks like a top spec what with the ceramics. How are you finding the difference, quite notable? anything of the R that you still miss?

11 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Congratulations! Looks like a top spec what with the ceramics. How are you finding the difference, quite notable? anything of the R that you still miss?

Thanks Julian!  The GT4 is fully loaded with options.  It was only missing Android Auto (which Porsche don't officially support - it does have CarPlay) but I sorted that last night.

It has a different but extremely familiar feeling.  I went for a manual this time as I wanted that little extra involvement I've been missing for 7 years.

My only issue is that the sound isn't doing much in the theatrics department, but that can be remedied.  Overall, the chassis and engine are fantastic. The ride quality is notably better than my CR.

I have only driven back from Slough, and the roads are gritted by me so I'll likely have to take it for a proper drive in the spring.  I'm very happy with it though and the crayon looks brilliant.  It really suits it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aaron said:

Thanks Julian!  The GT4 is fully loaded with options.  It was only missing Android Auto (which Porsche don't officially support - it does have CarPlay) but I sorted that last night.

It has a different but extremely familiar feeling.  I went for a manual this time as I wanted that little extra involvement I've been missing for 7 years.

My only issue is that the sound isn't doing much in the theatrics department, but that can be remedied.  Overall, the chassis and engine are fantastic. The ride quality is notably better than my CR.

I have only driven back from Slough, and the roads are gritted by me so I'll likely have to take it for a proper drive in the spring.  I'm very happy with it though and the crayon looks brilliant.  It really suits it.

I am surprised on the noise as I thought the whole thing that makes the gt4 stand out over the 718 GT4 is the sound is better in the original model. Yep Crayon is lovely with the black wheels. Seems like a gem you have! enjoy!! Best regards

On 27/11/2023 at 08:01, jaketame said:

It's tricky. This time of year isn't great, generally. But the market isn't great generally and it's a tough call as to whether it will be better in spring. Things could easily be easily worse. Re the market generally, there was an interesting post on PH today:

"Interesting conversation with a friend yesterday who works for a National main dealer group, he holds a management role and has done several years.

He said they had the worse week with their Px sales via one of the big auction houses ever recently.

They put in stock which has a CAP clean value of just over £450k into one of the big auction houses, they only managed to get just over £150k back for the lot. 300k loss in one weeks Px’s! Said he’s never seen anything like it."

Cars like 987.2s don't necessarily move exactly with the market. But I've noticed in the last week or so some much more realistically priced 987.2 Caymans advertised. Quite a few have popped up. Probably no huge harm in popping it up now for a few weeks at whatever your target price is. Depending on the spec and condition, there may be someone who is waiting for exactly what you have. If it doesn't go before Xmas, you can take the ad down and try again in spring?

I would say though if it's anything other than genuinely excellent condition and spec (I mean genuinely - most people over estimate that when it comes to their own cars), I think it will need to be very realistically priced to shift right now. Only something a bit special will sell for top money at the moment, would be my take.

10 hours ago, Cornholio said:

Congratulations, your GT4 looks great.

Normally the best time of the year to buy.

Thank you!

Indeed.  The value of my R dropped quite significantly but so did GT4s.  I was toying with a GTS 4.0 but opted for the GT4 as this will always be a weekend/fun/track car.

• Like 1

I am in the market for a very highly optioned 987.1 CS with a manual gearbox. If anyone has something, especially in a cool colour combo, I am happy to review. It seems there are a fair few cars that match my needs but they have automatics :((

Mileage doesn't matter as long as condition and maintenance records have catered for it. No budget per se, happy to wait for the right car.

I can’t seem to list mine in the For Sale section so I thought I would put it here for the time being, hopefully it makes the criteria for Tidy 987’s for sale.

I’m not expecting to sell it at this time of year and its in indoor storage but I thought I would advertise it anyway.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/15989631

Edited by Clan

I am looking for a Cayman as my next car, gen 2 is probably the one I’ll go for. I need to sell my S2000 first, but I can’t think of a better next car really!