Tidy 987's for sale Part 2

On 16/12/2023 at 13:47, Paz said:

I am looking for a Cayman as my next car, gen 2 is probably the one I’ll go for. I need to sell my S2000 first, but I can’t think of a better next car really! 

I used to have an S2000, it was many years ago but I loved it. That engine and gearbox are quite special.

1 hour ago, Cornholio said:

I used to have an S2000, it was many years ago but I loved it. That engine and gearbox are quite special.

Yes it is a special car, I just think it might be time to get something a bit quicker. Depends how much I can get for it really. 

10 hours ago, Aaron said:

I've had two S2000s.  It's a great car!  Expect much more refinement from a Cayman.

In other news: is this the highest mileage R in the UK?  106k - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312094686707

Yes I have driven one, it was very nice I must say! Seems quite a lot for that amount of miles! 

• 2 weeks later...

There was a really nice aqua blue (the colour I want) gen 2 that has just sold on auto trader, I even contacted them about it but I was too late! 😣 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2023 at 00:16, Aaron said:

My former R is up for sale on Ashgood already.  If you don't mind the 50k mileage: https://www.ashgood.co.uk/vehicle-details/used-porsche-cayman-987-r-for-sale-ag-u3937/ | List price is currently £35k.  I only drove it 700 miles since its last service back in 2022.

Looks like someone has placed a deposit on it.  Fingers crossed they find their way here!

There’s barely anything for sale at the moment, I keep looking but it’s not looking great!

On 18/12/2023 at 20:21, Yorkie said:

I’m another ex s2000 owner here. Running 400bhp on a hks supercharger kit which made a huge difference to the experience. 

Would you say a Cayman is a logical step up from the S2000 in your experience? There’s not many things I’d sell it for, probably only a Lotus or Porsche!

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2024 at 08:40, Paz said:

Would you say a Cayman is a logical step up from the S2000 in your experience? There’s not many things I’d sell it for, probably only a Lotus or Porsche!

I’m probably not the best person to ask about step ups tbh. I usually end up modifying anything I get and Most a lot quicker than the standard cayman S.Lots of heavily modified jap stuff, 3 pulsar gtirs from 300bhp to 460bhp, rx7 running big single turbo and street ported engine, the s2000 which stock was pretty slow but the supercharger transformed it. I’ve also gone through 5 rs meganes used mainly for track again pretty modified. The cayman was something I’d wanted to try for a while. I do really like it, it’s a different experience to other cars I’ve owned. I’m probably going to buy a different one though to do a turbo conversion, suspension brakes ect to try and create more of a gt3 but without the same cost.

• Like 1

It won't be anything like a GT3 with a turbo conversion. I mean, you might end up with something incredibly fast, but it won't be closer to a GT3 than a standard Cayman. If anything, a turbo'ed 987 Cayman will be less like a GT3 than the standard car. 

You'd have to keep it NA, spend a fortune on improving the breathing, maybe strengthen the internals and increase the rev limiter etc, lighten the flywheel etc to create "more of a GT3".

39 minutes ago, MartinF6 said:

It won't be anything like a GT3 with a turbo conversion. I mean, you might end up with something incredibly fast, but it won't be closer to a GT3 than a standard Cayman. If anything, a turbo'ed 987 Cayman will be less like a GT3 than the standard car. 

You'd have to keep it NA, spend a fortune on improving the breathing, maybe strengthen the internals and increase the rev limiter etc, lighten the flywheel etc to create "more of a GT3".

Yep, I agree... The closest Cayman to a GT3 is the GT4 or GT4 RS.  Modding a 987 excessively isn't going to get you a GT3-like experience especially if forced induction is the route taken.  In addition, it's probably cheaper to PCP/lease a GT3 than it is to do the level of modifications required along with the investment of time and money.

Probably going off topic on this thread but yeah I get what you’re saying and I agree. I  can’t afford a gt4 or gt3 though. If I could I would.  I can afford to turbo a cayman s though to give somewhere around the same straight line pace. Standard cayman s isn’t that quick. And I can improve the suspension brakes. Maybe I rephrase as a more hardcore and quicker 987 along the lines of a gt… 

On 29/01/2024 at 22:34, Yorkie said:

I’m probably not the best person to ask about step ups tbh. I usually end up modifying anything I get and Most a lot quicker than the standard cayman S.Lots of heavily modified jap stuff, 3 pulsar gtirs from 300bhp to 460bhp, rx7 running big single turbo and street ported engine, the s2000 which stock was pretty slow but the supercharger transformed it. I’ve also gone through 5 rs meganes used mainly for track again pretty modified. The cayman was something I’d wanted to try for a while. I do really like it, it’s a different experience to other cars I’ve owned. I’m probably going to buy a different one though to do a turbo conversion, suspension brakes ect to try and create more of a gt3 but without the same cost.

(slight off topic - apologies)

Out of interest, what was your experience of reliability/issues when modifying these cars and pushing the limits/adding turbos etc..  did you find this caused secondary issues that you needed to address or overall just made things quicker and worked OK?

The older jap stuff had fully built forged engines, quaife boxes, motec ecu ect so high end parts. Expensive builds, I had no issues. S2000, standard engine, hks supercharger kit. Really good quality. No issues engine wise but I did blow a diff on a track day. I also had a tts supercharger kit on that prior to the hks one that failed and wasn’t close to the hks quality wise. Anything forced induction cooling and good mapping probably the most important things. And having the suspension and brakes ect upgraded to match.

6 hours ago, Paz said:

Very nice, out of my budget and is an auto 😞 

No trouble. It’s getting harder to find the lower mileage ones nowadays. Not many popping up. 

not sure on my pricing but discussed with a fair few sellers.

1 hour ago, jaketame said:

No trouble. It’s getting harder to find the lower mileage ones nowadays. Not many popping up. 

not sure on my pricing but discussed with a fair few sellers.

This is your car? Not saying it’s too expensive, just too expensive for me!